Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony announce end of PSM ?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by blackbird, Mar 3, 2015.

1. daidokoro

daidokoro

People need to stop whining on the Unity forums.
    Well i think it is not about whining but getting clarity. It is easy to say things like you but for a lot of people having develop for Vita with psm and being stuck it is not a good company reward : end of story. At the end of the day i owned a lot of sony consoles and like it but as an indie dev i find it unrespectfull and want to say it
    The only reply you can get (and Sony is very reasonable toward individuals) is to contact Sony yourself. Failing to do so, is your problem.
    Well a bit (arrogant) easy no? As far as i'm concerned i have tried to contact Sony with no luck... I have everything needed to be in the dev program except this (sorry) stupid fix ip...Maybe you have a number/email for me to contact them in France with better luck
    Anyways thanks for your time, Back to my game and well will see for future console platform choice later

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's exactly the problem though, the Unity forum really is the wrong place to be voicing these opinions because it has nothing to do with Unity what policy a console manufacturer will make and some people have been pretty vocal about it. Apologies if I came off sounding a little firm.

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/

If you're serious and have already published products on steam or mobile, Sony will take a look. As it stands I expect they have a lot of emails so please be patient. It is a league above mobile and steam though so you'll have to bear that in mind that the rules of the game changes a bit.

You can also use that contact information to discover a Sony representative in your country (if localised development is possible there). Also you might consider a publisher who can handle this all for you.

3. spacefrog

spacefrog

Just wanted to chime in here ( and i'm whining i know )
    It sucks that the possibility to do EXPERIMENTAL development for the Vita using Unity stopped immediatly with the death of PSM. I developed and published several mobile games ( contracted work for iOS/Android , Windows Store app, WP8) , i am self employed, have my VAT number assigned etc..
    But still i'm unsure wether Sony expects a definite project in the pipe or a definitve concept
    And i hear the Devkit costs are there again, which were not there with PSM module
    So i only can say it sucks big time, my PS Vita purchase now turned into wasted money ( i don't play games on it, my sole purpose of purchase was to be able to deploy on it ). All meaningless now, all wasted ... That sucks big....

But i know that unity cannot do much here... it's Sony havign returned to their elite club style game develpoment regime ...

4. mike950

mike950

Yeah it was so cool knowing I could make a unity game and with very little effort have it playing on the vita with real physical controls.
    If only we can convince Sony to think of it as part of their advertising budget!
    I could watch 1000 ads on why ps vita is great and never buy one but one developer program sold me a ps vita.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Perhaps they'll be kind enough to open it up for homebrew, remember this is a first announcement from a specific department and they're open to options. So best thing you can do is talk to them.

If going for the homebrew angle you can put forward a good reason that it's a natural Sony developer migration path, so you go from homebrew to psn optionally.

6. mike950

mike950

Unity has a lot of weight I would think. Can you talk to them? They won't listen to me I'm sure :)

7. sama-van

sama-van

What the point having a PSM forum if we cannot share data?
    I mean since when the Vita news concerning Unity's integration are soooooo secret?
    Its all the point with Unity, we always has been updated and informed in time.

Not sure to understand why since Unity 5 we have to catch those info our-self and worst, getting those info even before Unity corp start speaking about it.
    (by the way I only share online and public data as far as I know).
    Because since the last week everyone is aware about it but zero news on Unity blog about it.

And what is the point to NDA PsVita when creating an account on the PS dev is easier as buying banana to the next market?
    (Well I wouldn't say the same from Microsoft, its such a pain in the ass to access to everything.)

raaa anyway.
    On this part, Apple and GooglePublish are the smartest I guess...
    Console dev have sooo much to learn from smartphone...
    Ball in their hands :)

And yes we are under NDA, and lucky I am not allowed to say what I really would like to say and share about how it really work inside. :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

PSN has NDA, and PSM I don't know. But nobody's going to be breaching NDA on these forums.

9. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

There is nothing 'secret' about Unity's integration on PSVita.
    It exists, is available for Unity 5 right now, and is used by several development teams already.

As with any 'true' PSVita development (or any console for that matter) you need separate development hardware. This hardware (together with the SDK, documentation etc) is only available to registered developers.
    This also means we cannot make the PSVita add-on available to the public - but even if we would, it would be of no use to someone without the development hardware / SDK.

This forum is about PSM specifically, simply because PSM development did not have the same restrictions as PSVita development has.
    Yes, it's unfortunate that SCE has now removed this easy and open mechanism to create games for PSVita-type hardware.
    But we cannot (and should not) answer technical questions regarding PSVita development on this forum - SCE hosts a separate developer forum for that. That is also where we publish the PSVita add-on downloads.

While not a blog post, we did comment on SCE's announcement to cancel PSM and what effect it would have for Unity for PSM : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/discontinuation-of-unity-for-psm.310025/

If you are interested in becoming a PSVita developer you need to contact SCE.
    Yes, they have a few different requirements (such as static IP) - questions/concerns regarding those requirements are nothing we (as Unity employees) can comment on.

10. mike950

mike950

Can you talk to Sony to try to reverse the decision?
    Imagine the headlines "Unity Applies Pressure to Sony - Reverses PSM Decision "
    So much respect!

Hey guys never mind I just discovered this!
    https://developer.nvidia.com/starting-development-shield-unity

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  11. daidokoro

daidokoro

Well there is no other way to contact Sony than filling the form to ask to become a Sony Developper. But on this form there is still the problem of the static IP so saying it is easy is a lie...nothing wrong about Unity more about Sony. Anyways time to switch

blackbird likes this.
  12. blackbird

blackbird

as far as i know that the dev kit that you will get will only works with that ip and you have to re-activate your device each 90 days

13. daidokoro

daidokoro

that's fine to re-activate it is just the cost on top of the dev kit to have a static ip (at least in France...)

blackbird likes this.
  14. blackbird

blackbird

i know that i have the same issue with that

15. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

16. spacefrog

spacefrog

Oh well ... link is pretty useless - The world is'nt just americas alone ...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

The sign-up procedure seems to be the same regardless of what region you are in:
    https://www.companyregistration.playstation.com

But I'm pretty confident they can either answer the question, or point you in the right direction.
    How 'useless' it is is up to you... My point was that there are points-of-contact outside of the actual registration form.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess people just want it all delivered on a plate regardless where in the world they're from. It's easier to make excuses than step up and go for it. That's why most people are wannabes instead of successful developers. There's always a good excuse available.

I don't think I'm trolling or being harsh, just saying it how I see it. If people disagree they're welcome to prove me wrong.

19. mike950

mike950

Unity's job is to make it easy for developers :)

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah still looking for that make mmo button myself.

21. mike950

mike950

Asset Store

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In that case overall, Unity must be doing an ok job making it easy for us.

23. mike950

mike950

Oh yeah! Of course everyone can get better

24. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

They removed in 5.0 :(

(Look under Editor: http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.0
    "Removed “Make MMO” button from Edit menu. ;)"
    lol xD so funny.)

25. mike950

mike950

there was a make mmo button? what did it do?

26. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Saavik: "Humor. It is a difficult concept."
    Kirk: "We learn by doing."

Flaring-Afro likes this.
  27. spacefrog

spacefrog

Thank you very much, kind sir for calling me "wannabe" -
    I initially didn't want to reply to such an arrogant post, but can't help
    Just having being cut off of one great option for PS Vita deployment and be given such a response from one of the moderators is not the tone i expect from Unity. I know that moderators are no unity staff but still are able to hurt the general Unity appeal. Your talk is cheap because you are in already with a whole team, for solo devs wanting to gain some confidence on the platform things are slightly harder.
    And before calling people wannabe's you maybe should think twice in any case...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  28. mike950

mike950

I think a big problem is we don't know why it was cancelled so we can't determine if they were good or bad
    reasons.

29. mike950

mike950

No but it was in the unity list of changes.

30. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. The other one of course is:

"NOTHING goes over my head!... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it."

superpig likes this.
  31. MrDude

MrDude

I was actually very unhappy about the fact that my entire country was excluded from being allowed to publish to the Vita via the PSM route but when applying to become an actual developer with Sony directly, they don't seem to care about the country... They have the site linked to above for people in the US and Canada etc, but they also have one for Europe that seems to cover the rest of the world also.

So I took a chance and I submitted my info. I used a DDNS instead of a static IP but the place that issues that DDNS assured me that the IP I get from them is mine for life so surely that amounts to the same thing? Well I tried. I submitted the forms and my application was accepted. I was told legal would contact me in 5 days... I forgot how many months ago that was.

Was it again my country or was it the IP? I don't know. I watched the video in which they said "if you want to self publish and have questions, email us on X" (I think the email was posted above somewhere). So I sent them an email. Also been waiting so many months for a reply that I have forgotten exactly how many months exactly it has been...

I just gave up on Sony as a whole. Clearly they don't want me because of my physical address so a static IP is not going to make a difference. Hell, Nintendo is accepting everybody for the WiiU and they also rejected me saying "I regret to inform you that we cannot grant your request to develop for the Wii due to country restrictions".

I'm now waiting to see if Microsoft is going to have the same issue when they open up the XBO... Will the country my mother gave birth to me in again make all my skills and experience worth nothing?

It sucks, but it honestly feels like they are the big boys and they can pick and choose whoever they want to work with and who not and afford to be as picky as they want.... meaning everybody on my side of the equator doesn't stand a chance. Even when they say legal will get back to me in 5 days... even then. :(

32. blackbird

blackbird

mircosoft is the worst anyway if you are from iran then forget to get approved from anybody ,

PS: i could help you to publish your game if you have one ...

33. MrDude

MrDude

Where you from then?
    I take it not Iran? :p

To be honest, I've been a dedicated Mac fanboy and everyone who knows me knows this. I considered Micrsoft to be the devil... The only good thing they ever did was the Xbox... then they ruined it again with the 360... Except the 360 controller which kicks the PS3 controllers ass in terms of comfort for me... but still, they are the devil...

Then the released windows 8 and I started to take notice of them. Then they announced self publishing on XBO and I REALLY started to take note of them (even imported a retail box more than a year before it was released in my country even though just the day before I was saying "Xbox, please. What a joke. PS4 is the only thing that is gonna matter once it gets released")

Then they made VS free, open sourced .Net, I got to play with windows 10 (!!!), I saw the HoloLens and I am getting free hardware (and Windows) from Microsoft directly... with al I have seen so far in this last year and all the communications I've had with Microsoft during this last year... Sorry Apple, after 12 years you have lost me... Microsoft can do no wrong in my eyes any more...

The only thing Microsoft can (and unfortunately most likely will) do that will put a damper on my love for them is if/when they announce "As of today, all Windows 10 users can self publish to the XBO.... except people from your country. F* off, you. Go sit in the corner"

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015