Search Unity

Sony announce end of PSM ?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by blackbird, Mar 3, 2015.

1. blackbird

blackbird

i saw the press release of unity 5 and there is no sign for support of PSM ! any idea guys if these true or not i hope somebody clarify this ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Stelitz

Stelitz

can't find any hint of PSM too...
    lets hope its only delayed or a standalone editor.
    I would be very sad if they scrapped it :(

3. blackbird

blackbird

i think they scrapped :/ because this section is already dead and sony doesn t do any effort to push the vita even for full retail titles

4. Stelitz

Stelitz

I just saw this in the other thread:

seems like we need to wait a little bit longer?

5. blackbird

blackbird

only eriQue could say to be or not to be

6. Stelitz

Stelitz

eriQue last seen on february 11th on this forum, maybe he is working on PSM version? :)

blackbird likes this.
  7. blackbird

blackbird

i hope at least they update the editor to 4.6 because as far i see no support for psm in the current version

8. WilcoB

WilcoB

Now that Unity 5 free edition supports all engine features, I really want an update

9. RaptorX81

RaptorX81

I would like an update as well. A rough time frame for PSM support would be great!

10. VeGas_Gh0st

VeGas_Gh0st

Agreed i downloaded the PSM tool but no go, VR support is missing also but im sure that will come in the next few weeks. Sony needs to step it up otherwise i will transfer to wii u Development (since its one click deployment now) alongside VR, I really hope the PSM tools come soon, Even if i cant sell i would love to just make alot of tech demos i can play on the go.

11. blackbird

blackbird

@VeGas_Gh0st i did that to my project too but i found out that i have to change a lot of things to make the game run on wii u

12. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

No PSM? Still? Man how long do we have to wait? Step it up Sony. I think i have to Push my Project to Android & IOS if there isnt an Update soon...

13. sama-van

sama-van

Hi,

A colleague just pop out this morning for warming me about a Sony announce this morning :

-JP : http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/sp_20150311_psm_info.html
    - EN : http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-mobile/
    - EN : http://community.us.playstation.com...pdate-on-PlayStation-Mobile-PSM/td-p/45023971

In Japanese only, but wondering if there will be any replacement?
    I am under NDA then cannot speak about some other things... but does Unity5 will support the PlaystationStore (not the PSM one) for Vita?

How about those they started Vita production?

14. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Damn, I was really excited to get my game into the vita :( Hopefully with the closing of PSM there will be a different but equally accessible avenue to get there.

15. giyomu

giyomu

well seem they close the psm store stuff..now what this mean for psm dev program well ...

16. jordiboni

jordiboni

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.0

CONSOLES
    • Unity 5.0 has day one support for XBox 360, XBox One, PS Vita, PS3 and PS4, with Wii-U arriving later in the spring.
    • A custom editor is no longer required for any console. The console extensions are compatible with the general Unity editor!
    • Many developers are already building their games with Unity 5.0 on console having taken part in a Beta release program.

17. giyomu

giyomu

18. Whipexx

Whipexx

Well, this is quite a disappointment for me from Sony. I was starting to believe that they were the only ones doing the right thing letting Indie Devs publish on their store. (Even if it was only on the PSM store, which was a little hidden)

19. giyomu

giyomu

i smell like the accessible avenue will be to be registered sony dev and just use the ps vita dev kit things XD...

20. Heinz2001

Heinz2001

This is a very sad news. I was hoping for the final Unity5 PSM version.

Now, PSM is dead...is Unity5 for PSM also dead?

I understand Sony. Most of the PSM apps where crap. But a couple of them where really good and we received Full Vita DX games later. Maybe they merge PSM directly into Unity deployment...which would be nice *hoping. If they don't allow further Indie development for Vita...this handheld is now completely dead for me.

21. Whipexx

Whipexx

I don't think they will even finish the PSM for Unity5 (assuming they even started it)...
    Sorry for the off topic, but does anyone know any other platform that really allows anyone who wants to make and try a Unity game on their console? (Not talking about selling the game, just about testing on the machine)

22. WilcoB

WilcoB

Ouya and Android both allow you to test on a device without any costs (except the device itself of course)

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Is there any point now for Unity 5 PSM after this news?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  24. blackbird

blackbird

thank you sony for wasting my time in developing a game that i could not release on playstation vita :/

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I think you still can and have it there until they remove the store? unless I did not understand the news correctly

blackbird likes this.
  26. Stelitz

Stelitz

blackbird it seems you were right after all :(
    probably no Unity 5 version because they knew it would be discontinued

blackbird likes this.
  27. blackbird

blackbird

doesn t make sense at all i spent a year and half developing the game and then just to release it for few months :/ i wish i could get full license but i don t have the money for that and sony accept only developers who have shipped at least one title :(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  28. giyomu

giyomu

29. LaneFox

LaneFox

I'm curious how this will affect Nintendo, they basically have the Wii U holding that corner of the market until consumers aren't interested in dedicated mobile game devices anymore.

Will they follow suit or hold out another year to see if consumer migrate?

30. blackbird

blackbird

@LaneFox i didn t get your point ... as far as i know Nintendo is doing well with their indie support

31. giyomu

giyomu

i won't blame sony to close the door of potential flood of what you see on ios or android , in top of that looking at how active that forum and the psm dev forum was active well maybe it is not just worth it to keep up .

some word from unity regarding this would be nice , so this make things clear for everybody once for all

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

@blackbird Who knows? Was PSM expected to close? Seems these sorts of things can happen rather suddenly, I only brought it up because of the Vita and Wii U being in the same market ... as Vita was considered a good product as far as I know and this is (basically, right?) killing it, does it impact the Wii U? Obviously, if Sony is dropping PSM, Nintendo has to consider the situation as well.

33. blackbird

blackbird

not at all Nintendo is doing well do you know that all title released on the Nintendo e-shop got at least 10 000 downloads i m registered developer at Nintendo too and they are really doing well and the community is very active there ...they even help each other in financing a project ...they do collects etc .... i was amazed

i tried to fill the application for full-license to be a PlayStation developer ...they asking me about my company etc .... but i don t have a company what i should do i can t not apply as individual :/

34. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

Those Fu**ers! More than half a Year work down the S***ter. Are you Kidding me?
    Wow. Sony. You pissed me of big time... Now i have to Change all of the Things to work on Android. Redo the Whole GUI... Gawd damed.

35. blackbird

blackbird

@NightStorm_100 same feeling bro :/ what make things worst is that they don t give us an alternative like merging or moving us as full PlayStation developers at least they could offer us something ....i lost too much money on my project :( i feel really lost now

36. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

Our Team came to an Agreement that we move on to Android/IOS. And we applied to the Wii U Developer Programm. Maybe we can push it to the WII U. Would be Awesome. I love that little Underrated Piece of Hardware.

37. blackbird

blackbird

absolutely a good choice you made to bring the game to wii u go away from android and ios ... the market is overcrowded ... and don t forget the piracy issue there

38. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

Yep. We realy consider Wii U right now. If we get accepted we will use WII U then.

blackbird likes this.
  39. blackbird

blackbird

sony is killing the vita and they don t won t developers to focus on it for me the vita was the device that will open to me the path to become a full developer as private company or i even to get a job at studio now i lost everything no job no studio nothing

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity has no say in the matter, and therefore if you have concerns please contact Sony directly.

41. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Just to confirm what has already been suggested:
    Because of SCE's decision to discontinue PSM, Unity 5 for PSM unfortunately will never happen.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just to add, people can still develop for Sony with devkits with a view to going on PSN. You will be able to find out more by contacting Sony directly. This ensures the Sony platform has high quality titles, and really isn't any different to Nintendo.

43. daidokoro

daidokoro

One thing different to add to the story : you have to register to be a Sony developper. First you need to be a company (even one person company) but need a static IP...which is quite a lot for a single or indie team. Correct me if i'm wrong but Nintendo for example is not asking for this...just need to be a registered company...

blackbird likes this.
  44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Static IP ? , look at the Sony Hack that happened and the DDOS attacks...Really think Sony are doing well these days. Doubt it

blackbird likes this.
  45. blackbird

blackbird

does erique work for sony or unity ??? is there any chance to make sony know about us as far as we tried in the psm forum the two guys who are responsible they don t try or care to help at all

46. daidokoro

daidokoro

the fact is : if we have to register as Sony developers, the need for a static IP address is a killer at least in France....and of course there is no indication on how to do this or any turnaround. I have developed a Vita version of my main game (www.saqgame.com) for 8 months now trying to keep the prototype same level as pc/mac and now i'm stuck...

blackbird likes this.
  47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

True, Nintendo does not have the static IP requirement. That is pretty unusual.

blackbird likes this.
  48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

People need to stop whining on the Unity forums. Not only are Unity and PSN developers like myself under NDA, we are simply not authorized to reply to you regarding Sony's policies. The only reply you can get (and Sony is very reasonable toward individuals) is to contact Sony yourself. Failing to do so, is your problem.

All I can say is I really like Sony and they've been very, very reasonable with us.

the_motionblur and funshark like this.
  49. mike950

mike950

I hope people can feel free to whine and complain though?

50. MrDude

MrDude