Search Unity

[SOLVED] Can't raycast and hit triggers without having a rigidbody

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Palimon, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Palimon

Palimon

Hey guys, having trouble with Raycasting. On my custom (non-physics) character controller I use trigger colliders to stick to the floor. I had a trigger box collider and kinematic Rigidbody on each floor collider, but I've been going through and cleaning up old code/objects (now that I'm older and wiser :)) and saw I didn't actually need the RB for the trigger collider. (At least, that's my current understanding.) So I removed the RB from my floor colliders. Now, my character falls through the floor. After realizing I needed to specify to the Raycast to hit triggers, I changed to the call which specifies trigger interaction and my new Raycast call looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bool wasCollision = Physics.Raycast(transform.position, (-transform.up) + desiredMove, out downhitInfo, 20f, int.MaxValue, QueryTriggerInteraction.Collide);
    I'm still not hitting my trigger colliders, and if I put a kinematic RB on them, I do. What's up?

An example of my floor collider:
    upload_2015-10-6_23-58-22.png

2. Nubz

Nubz

I can't count the times people have argued that and told me it wasn't possible.
    The docs even say a rigidbody or a character controller

3. martinmr

martinmr

4. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

at least one thing involved in the collision needs to have a rigidbody, if neither do the physics engine doesn't know about them, so how is it supposed to say "hey a collision happened"...?

5. Palimon

Palimon

Ahh, I obviously thought triggers completely removed the need for RBs. Must have stopped reading after the second sentence in that ref page, and missed the third sentence :). Thanks! I was so confused!