Search Unity

Solution for GIT commits in VS while Unity is open?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Sickwitit, May 26, 2015.

1. Sickwitit

Sickwitit

Using:
    -VS 2013 Pro (Linked with Unity)
    -Unity 4.6.1
    -Git Version Control (Linked with Visual Studio 2013)

After much research, I haven't found any solutions to this fix.
    *While visual studio 2013 and Unity 4.6.1 is open, I am unable to commit in Visual Studio in Team Explorer. I am able to SYNC and commit when VS is closed.

ERROR: An error occurred. Detailed message: Could not open 'PROJECT/Temp/UnityLockfile': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I understand that it is being used, but is there any work around to this? I need to write custom commit messages to close open ISSUES in git, but would be efficient if done while Unity is open.

This just slows me down in terms of product management/ workflow, so if anyone has any workarounds to commit while unity is open, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Don't source control files in the Temp folder.
    Just add files in the Assets and ProjectSettings directory, everything else can be generated by Unity from these files.

AliJomeiy, Sickwitit and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. Sickwitit

Sickwitit

Thank you. I suppose this would be in the gitignore file. I'll get that fixed.

In terms of saving data, if I were to pull the unity project on another comp, having only pushed Assets and ProjectSettings data from my current comp, does Temp contain any crucial data that needs to be pushed? I suppose it is temporary data that unity generates locally. Just trying to get a heads up.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5. Sickwitit

Sickwitit

Great, thanks.

About the tool: My current Unity directory doesn't currently include the UnityYAMLMerge tool. I'm using Unity 4.6.1.

Is this a new tool for > 4.6.1 ? Are there any import/external downloads for this too?
    I couldn't find any info in the documentation or through search.

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Generally the UnityYAMLMerge tool is designed to work for Unity 5 however some people have had success when using it with 4. Go without and if you do have a lot of merge issues maybe give it a try. More discussion on it here. If you do want to give it a try then just download Unity 5 and pull it out.

Sickwitit likes this.