Search Unity

So what do I actually need to make an iphone-game and put it up on the app-store?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by MatthiasZarzecki, May 22, 2011.

1. MatthiasZarzecki

MatthiasZarzecki

Hi there

I have been looking for information about this for some time, but so far have only found pieces of the puzzle.

At some point in the future I plan to actually port some of my stuff (unstoppaball, e.g.) to the iphone. But so far I've run into a wall concerning the software I need.

My qustions are:

- Which Unity-version will I need? Is IOS-support already build into several versions, or do I need to purchase the upgrade?

- Will I need an Apple Developer kit?

- What does it take to get accepted into the App-store?

I am quite aware that I could figure some of this out by just buying what would be the basics, but my funds are currently quite limited for me to try this.

I am very thankful for every useful response.

-Matthew

2. EyeSix

EyeSix

You need a system running Mac OSX, a Unity iOS license, a $99 Apple iOS developer license and an app that doesn't break any of the TOS for the app store. So to answer:

- Apps can only be made in the Mac version of Unity (Because of XCode), and do require at least the Unity basic iOS license.
    - Yes, you'll need a license from Apple.
    - An app that isn't broken

It'll cost you a minimum of $498 if you already have a Mac, and considerably more if you don't.

3. IPete

IPete

Hey Matthew,

Here's a brief and maybe sketchy idea of the whole process. You will need:

(1) Apple Developers license to get an App onto a device and the App Store. ($99./ £61 approximately).

(2) An intel based Mac of some sort, with Unity iPhone or iPhone Pro installed. You'll also need a device to test on is a very good idea for all sorts of obvious reasons.

(3) You'll need to download the Apple SDK - including xCode and iOS elements - keep away from version xCode 4.0 and iOS 4.3 for now as it seems something in there gives Unity Apps a problem, they fail Apps review system. Unity and Apple know of the problem. xCode 3.2.5 and iOS and 4.2 are what you should look for for now - are available still if you can locate a link)

(4) When you get your Apple Dev license you get access to iConnect and that's where a lot of reading will be necessary if you want to make it a painless process, it's not too hard, it's just fiddly and somethings can be quite frustrating, so rely on help from the forums.

(5) Once you begin you'll need a provisioning profile from Apple, you'll need an Apple ID, and to register any development devices with iConnect website. You'll also need some certificates which the website will help you download and install into your keychain access.

(6) Make sure all your software is in sync, so whats on your device, itunes, SDK, and xCode all will work together.

(7) Get some graphics and a great idea and make an App in Unity iPhone, test it on your device as you go. The remote sends low quality jpegs to the device as you test it, so you can see how input works (but the visuals are obviously very poor to look at). Once you deploy to the device you'll see it looks fab.

(8) When you are ready to deploy the finished App, you need a Distribution Profile which you get from iConnect (more reading!). This you install and compile the final version with, which you then check through xCode and zip.

(9) Finally you enter a load of details on iConnect to let the website know what it should expect, what its called, graphics which will be used on the various devices as icons etc. You decide on a price, where it can be sold in the world, what the description is, which places you want it to be i.e. kids, arcade, action, adventure (under games) or whatever.

(10) You download the uploader App and attempt to upload the app.

You'll be told by the uploader whether the technical requirements have been met, but then Apple will review your App by hand and make a decision as to if it can be published or not. Also somewhere down the line, you may be asked to set up banking details and fill out tax forms, if you are charging for the App.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  4. MatthiasZarzecki

MatthiasZarzecki

Thank you so much for the quick and detailed answers. These really do help a lot.

..and they also immediately show the next big stepping stones. I don't actually have a Mac, and don't really plan on getting one (also I don't have the budget). In my head I would set unity to "Iphone" and try my programs on a simulated phone running within windows.

Quite bad this doesn't work. :)

I will keep this hand however once the mac-issue is resolved. And Since knowing is half the battle, this blogpost got me 50% of the way there ^^

-Matthew

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You can give hackingtosh a good try, but you will still need to buy the iphone license.

6. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

$498 minimum

Yet another reason to not have anything to do with Apple!

With that aside, it's more profitable to go towards the Android market, especially if you want to promote a company which isn't an overpriced overhyped closed doors type of company which refuses to give the power to the consumer and instead sells an "idea" of being a 'creative, different, eloquent person' instead of a real product.

7. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

I know I will if I were to port anything from android over to iOS.

Why use a Mac when you can buy a better PC for cheaper and make it into a Mac? LOL

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well, I spent 7 days making my appstore game and got $10,000 back for my trouble. Not bad for a week's work.

Cos if it ever breaks for any reason, even outside it's warranty, or you want to make an unreasonable demand, Apple bends over backwards to help you. But you wouldn't know about their customer service because you don't buy their products.

Hell, the regents st flagship store in london GIVES away hardware just to make sure their customers are always happy and content. And most apple customers are.

But thats just customer service. Personally, I like the feel of the actual hardware too, and the reliability. I've gone through two pcs but my mac is still ticking away good as new.

Each to their own.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

I take everything I said back.

I meant to say "I love apple, and own a Mac now!"

LOL

jk

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

thats why many of us are happy to take the risk and the uphill struggle to work with apple. it sucks sometimes, its a harsh mistress, but the sexy time is good :p

(note: that does not mean your game will make this kind of cash, thats a lot of luck being featured or just having the right game at the right time). My game makes next to nothing now because these days every chimp and its auntie is making some kind of app store game. This dilutes things a lot and only really high quality stuff will win out.

BUT.... pretty sure it covers the cost of the hardware - even if you make a freeware ad sponsored effort. You can get an entry level macbook (why not since you get dual display when you hook it up to a monitor) and an ipod touch or cheap second hand ipad... the game with admob should cover it after 6 months.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  11. MatthiasZarzecki

MatthiasZarzecki

Plan B would indeed be checking out Android, WP7 and similar options.

Also, Hackintosh sound interesting. But of course it does put another complicated layer of "stuff" onto a framework which I neither have nor understand.

12. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

How much money do total failure Android games make after 1 month of being released?

I only ask, because I have a friend who has released TWO android games, which seemed pretty cool.

The result? Only 1 free download in an entire month, and 0 sales.

Yet I was told by many that even failed horrible games sell a few copies, or at least have hundreds of free downloads. What gives?

13. _ex_

_ex_

can you please post a link to the apps? I need some kind of evidence on android markets

14. gypsy fly

gypsy fly

I've just cataloged a summer youth class for Programming Mobile Apps. It's advertised for WP7, primarily because there are more PCs. As I promoted the class this past term, I learned that parents were more interested in iOS. Maybe they want to justify a switch to Apple. So here I am, learning to program iOS devices with Unity.

I've also looked at UDK. Since most of my students are coming out of my Game Maker I, II and III pipeline. The drag and drop Kismet would probably be more agreeable with them. Although, I don't like connecting nodes, not on Kismet, Blender or Robotics using NI LabView. One the other hand, my goal has always been to get these kids out of iconographic programming and into code.

I'm using one of the school's MacBooks, paid the $99 to Apple and bought an iTouch. I'm still using the 30-day trial of Unity Pro and iOS Pro. If I can build an app, I'll put it out in the App Store for free and seek donations, ala crowdfunding, to help provide iOS devices, licenses, 3rd party modules, graphic packages, etc. for our mobile lab of 10 MacBooks. During the school year, I get to take the lab and teach programming courses in Title I (very poor neighborhood) schools.

Total cash out, under $400. Sweat equity and future lives affected, priceless.

15. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

I just want to know what the typical sales for a failed game is.

You know... what is the "worst of the worst" I can expect, if my game doesn't sell very much?

Because I've heard that even the worst, most crappiest games, still get quite a few sells, even if not enough to justify paying the bills.

16. seon

seon

It's a known industry fact that very few people purchase apps on the Android platform, and that you can buy an app, back it up, get an instant refund and then restore it to your device and get it for free.

Android is not a marketplace to make money with paid content. And, just to be clear, Google are closing off how "open" a platform Android is due to uncontrollable fragmentation and socking user experience.

Apple are only really closed to close minded people. What they really are is a company that sets rules and standards for their products (hardware and software) that ensure best user experience, and for those that don't agree, sorry but all of the facts back this up.

Sales of Mac compared to PC industry... Macs cost more? sure... and 28% sales growth compared to -1% for PC industry last financial year. Consumers are clearly prepared to pay more for a quality product and user experience, and its the consumer that drives income to developers, not Apple. Consumers don't care about closed/open. Most don't even understand what the terms mean.

We here are NOT consumers, even if we own the products. We are a tiny minority, and the Majority (average joe consumer) couldn't give a rats arse about open/closed. They care about product, reliability and service.

It' is THE reality. Sure many will disagree, but it doesn't matter. Apples growth, market share, share price and the rest of the industry copying their products and systems are proof it's THE reality.

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

worst case is $0
    Average case for non topseller Android apps is an income of $100 - $300 over its lifetime, which is at least to me "equal to not even consider starting a concept for Android explicitely"

18. nggs

nggs

I would actually be really happy at this point with $100-$300 from my games, as that would at least pay for the apple license, or the unity license.

What do you call it when you have games that you put your heart into, that you're proud of despite their warts, but noone else is interested in?

Well, I'll just keep making games that I love and at the same time work on providing updates to clear up those warts, lol. I suggest the same for anyone else. Go into it with passion and the mindset that even if it doesn't break big, you were doing something will all your effort. If you just want to make a quick couple hundred bucks, Go get a night job! LOL.

19. Ostwind

Ostwind

that $100-$300 might be revenue in 2 year time frame so don't get your hopes up