Search Unity

So is this how things are run here, UE4 thread is going to get deleted..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imtrobin, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imtrobin

imtrobin

I thought it was deja vu, I posted a video demonstration about UE 4 terrain system done by a user in 4 hours which shows some nice features. And in a while, it disappears. So I posted again, and it disappears shortly.

I can find the thread in the Search, but its gone .Twice.

UE4.jpg

So now we can't talk about the competition? Is this what democracy is coming to?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think one of the mods should start a new UE4 vs. CE vs. Unity thread (again) and let it run like the last one did, any other threads outside of that get deleted and just let people have at it.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Pretty sure there's at least one of the fifteen gazillion such threads that already exist which can be revived and used for such a purpose.

4. StarManta

StarManta

First of all:
    wat

However, it does appear that UE4-centric threads are getting not merely locked (which is sensible, as the threads do have no real place here), but actually deleted (which, when it comes to discussion about competition, starts to look seriously shady). The most recent UE4-related thread I can find currently is from Tuesday, and I know there have been several since then.

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well when I read your thread it had nothing but a youtube video embedded in. You didn't criticize Unity terrain or etc. which would have made it at least semi related to Unity. Like it's been said that it should have been posted in the existing threads as it had no value on its own.

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Unless I'm much mistaken, these forums are for Unity-related topics. Most of these UE4 threads haven't got a slight thing to do with Unity. In other words, I doubt they belong here in the first place, though that's not my decision to make, that's Unity Tech's and their elected moderators.

The only people I see that have a problem with this are those who are trying to push UE4. I also argue that A) that's completely useless, because if someone wants to try UE4, it's not really hard to find, what with Google and all, and B) it's really rather rude to be pushing your opinion on people who have chosen differently. As before, if we wanted to check out/evaluate UE4, we would, there's not a lot that people could do to stop it (other than Aurore vaporizing me. So, for my sake, please don't do it. ;) )

I think that Unity is well within their rights to delete topics that are useless on their forums. If you love UE4 so much? Talk about it on their forums. If UE4 is doing something that Unity isn't, why not have a topic that discusses both engines instead of all this "UE4 just better LOL!" crap.

Seriously, this is really annoying.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  7. imtrobin

imtrobin

Well, you just need to watch the video to know which improvements Unity Terrain needs. Isn't this a gossip section to discuss non unity related things. I'm sharing things which users may find useful. If you think it threatens you, so censoring is the way.

8. Archania

Archania

Yes let's just use a Unity forum to promote another engine without making any comparisons or comments. Please it is getting old. If you are going to do yet another one at least make it about Unity in some way.
    Just a question here but do people go on blender and post videos that maya/max can do? Or have the many threads comparing them? I would think that it would be unprofessional to do it.

9. Imre

Imre

i just typed int Unreal into search window and as far as i was willing to scroll all were locked....yeah gazillion revivable threads...give me a break.

10. imtrobin

imtrobin

So discussing other technologies is forbidden, or is it just limited to UE4? This is not a "UE4 just better LOL!" crap. It is a demonstration on engine features, and you are welcome to see it as useful, or bury your head in the sand. I'm sharing things which may be useful, and if it doesn't benefit you, others might.

11. StarManta

StarManta

Man, I was so on your side of this until this comment. They're being deleted because they're offtopic. Period, end of story. You made no effort to make it on-topic. (Even a simple "Is this possible in Unity?" would have been enough) Honestly I was assuming that the original post had such a comment on it (having not seen the original post).

12. Ostwind

Ostwind

I did watch it and still you should have said at least something like which features you liked to see in Unity. There is an official thread for new terrain and improvements, why didn't you post it there with a wish list? :rolleyes:

Kellyrayj and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  13. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Actually, yes.
    I see no problem with people talking about the competition or comparing them. Its just that it always ends up with people making the same points over and over.
    But I think deleting threads about the competition is just bad. Thats stooping to CryDev level right there.
    Of course, if theres a legitimate reason to delete the thread then who am I to question the mods.

14. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

No, this is a gossip section primarily meant to discuss gossip related to Unity.

15. Archania

Archania

Then you should have had some text under it stating how you think unity should benefit from X feature or maybe look at y feature.

Ostwind and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Don't disagree, maybe one ultimate master thread not about any one specific thing would work?

Ostwind likes this.
  17. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm not asking whether unity can do it, I know the terrain engine limitations and it can't, at least not without alot of external plugins. Do you know how other terrain engines work or Unity terrain satisfy you?

18. Archania

Archania

OK. Was just wondering. Figured if the owner of the forum doesn't like things they have full power to do what they want anyway. It is in the agreement that everyone doesn't read too.

19. Archania

Archania

Unity terrain sucks big time. I highly doubt anyone would fight that. Plus they made a official thread about maybe one day in the near millennium it will get a sooo much needed revamp.

20. imtrobin

imtrobin

So we are going to delete thread talking about GameMaker, Cocoas 2D, Torque, etc or just the selectively? Terrain is related to Unity, and anything in IT world is related to Unity in some way.

21. StarManta

StarManta

Not a single person in this thread has said that they're happy with Unity terrain. As others have mentioned, there are many posts about Unity terrain on this board, including what it is and isn't capable of and how it might be improved in the future. Yours was not one of them. It had nothing to do with Unity. Therefore it got deleted.

22. Ostwind

Ostwind

Those engines haven't had several threads per engine past month or two. I bet you can still search em and find em in non-locked state.

23. StarManta

StarManta

So, by your logic, I should be able to post this image on the forum, with no comment or Unity-related questions attached to it, and expect it to not be deleted:

24. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm not going argue whether it is related to Unity or not. If Microsoft announces all Windows will stop working tmrw, so is that considered related to Unity or not? Your picture thread is useful if it's made by another tech, and I appreciate you sharing it.

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

We don't need any more threads fighting about Unity vs. Unreal. They generate complaints and just rehash the same thing that's been rehashed 50 million times already.

I wouldn't mind seeing an "engine war" thread where all of this stuff could go on. That way people who want to keep arguing about it would have a place and everyone else can easily ignore it, rather than having to deal with other threads getting derailed.

--Eric

26. StarManta

StarManta

Then we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.