Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

So here it's - official petition to add SSRR ! Join us!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kronnect, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kronnect

Kronnect

EDITED: Just the reminder to amazing Unity team. Thank you guys! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    mgear likes this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So everybody else in the forums might know what SSSR means. But I don't. A brief description will help.

It's a weird campaign, you got anyone from Unity on board?

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

SSRR makes your scenes look gorgeous with minor effort - adding realtime reflections to every object according to their physical properties. It's an image effect you add to your camera.

There've been some approaches on the AssetStore, but currently there's no solution compatible with Unity 5 and forward path rendering. We need a complete solution.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ahh, more shinny graphics stuff. Not something that interests me. But best of luck with the campaign.

bluescr likes this.
  5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Spend $1k to not-unity to encurage unity to ship the engine with an included SSR effect, as they already announced doing just that? :confused:

carking1996 likes this.
  6. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What do you need the 1000$ for, then?
    Raising money does not guarantee anything. What happens when you succeed but Unity don't want your money or still don't want to develop an integrated SSRR solution?
    Why not use Unity Feedback instead?

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

This is just a funny gesture to Unity guys and a reminder about the SSRR feature. I'm sure they have tons of features in their backlog. The idea is to send them pizza, not money! :)

8. Zeblote

Zeblote

You can send them pizza without money... just order some to their address, recipient pays.

frosted and Kronnect like this.
  9. Dantus

Dantus

What exactly is the purpose of this thread? Unity is officially working on SSR!

10. Zeblote

Zeblote

I think it's a joke

11. eskovas

eskovas

He's been spreading this thread on other SSR asset threads, so i think he's being serious o_O

Making petitions won't make the SSR come faster...
    They are already working on it, so you just need to wait for it.

If you can't wait, there are a few SSR assets on the asset store, and there is a free SSR asset available too that works in Unity5: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/kode80ssr-free-screen-space-reflections-component.313404/

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Although if you want to keep Unity in pizza, just keep buying Unity pro & making awesome games :)

I'm not sure Unity would legally be able to accept money for pizza, I don't know how that sort of thing works!

Kiwasi and Kronnect like this.
  13. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

they already mentioned that will be done in unity 5.2 cycle

14. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

15. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

I will buy Unity3D when they have integrated SSR , not untill !

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

17. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

There's zero overlap between the people working on SSR and the people working on IL2CPP/WebGL/cloud stuff. If SSR is not in 5.2, it will be because it's not ready yet, not because it got 'bumped' for other features.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  18. Zeblote

Zeblote

You don't need to buy it though?

Taz-dragon, Ryiah and the_motionblur like this.
  19. Kronnect

Kronnect

I wish we could at least taste it in a forthcoming beta.

20. Mauri

Mauri

Until Unity adds official support for SSR, why not using Assets like kode80SSR (which is free) or Plawius SSR?

21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Because neither supports forward rendering path. Candela is great but it's not ready for Unity 5.

22. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

I have tested Kode80ssr but it gives artefacts on TGA mask! I need clean TGA mask! I will buy Unity3d because I will have costumers that need SSR! Until then I have no use of Unity!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  23. yoonitee

yoonitee

I want you to know I would accept free pizza. But no cheese please. I'm lactose intolerant.

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Forward rendering is imo a bit doomed in the long term, but so is deferred. Deferred will allow for a lot more interesting performance gains like SSR and Deferred Decals without the peformance hit from them in forward. In short, Deferred exists because it's the only sane option for higher quality rendering at decent framerates.

As far as I know there aren't any AAA titles which are forward rendered exclusively in the last year or 2.

25. Metron

Metron

Hmmm... so what is the alternative to deferred rendering?

26. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Just out of curiosity - where do you (or anyone else wanting to reply) see the future in rendering paths?
    Since forward and deferred all have their own drawbacks and problems to overcome and also don't always mix that well together. Is there something new on the horizon or are we stuck with those two in the foreseeable future?

What is Unreal using, BTW? I have to admit I still did not have time to look at UE4 in much detail.
    Is Unreal doing something fundamentally different in that regard?

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

As long as I can get high quality and performance antialias, I can go with deferred or whatever any other method.
    Is this possible currently with deferred?

Please mind that my project is about visualisation quality. I need for instance high quality and sharp lines. I've achieved this using forward rendering and x4 or x8 antialias. But with deferred, can I get the same results with the same framerate?

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep that's coming. Unity is working on some awesome antialiasing and SSR for 5, so it shouldn't be too long coming.

randomperson42 and Kronnect like this.
  29. Mauri

Mauri

They seem to only use Deferred Rendering/Shading at the moment.

[src]
    More precisely:
    [src]

30. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Cool!

31. Zeblote

Zeblote

Will it fix these white dot artifacts?

Otherwise it ain't awesome.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes it'll fix the jagged artefacts.. There is one down side to Temporal AA, it has a habit of making things slightly blurry..

But on the whole is much better than FXAA etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    Zeblote likes this.
  33. Breyer

Breyer

Classic Deffered will be doomed either due to increase of screen res. This rendering rely too much on RT. Actually there is some research on fix this and solution is mix deffered and forward rendering like forward+, tiled forward and tiled deffered etc.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

CryEngine's been doing that for ages and TDR is what UE4 and Frostbite uses.. FR+ attached to the tile structure seems interesting..

Probably the best way to go.

35. Glader

Glader

36. darkhog

darkhog

Deleted User likes this.
  37. Zeblote

Zeblote

I'm pretty sure they just ignore the feedback section. It's to keep users quiet thinking they listened.

38. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I asked these questions 2 months ago ... and it was before the main post was edited. ;)
    In context Unity Feedback made more sense.

39. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No, we look at it. Low-voted items are just usually much, much faster to implement, as well as often being things that we'd already put in our plans anyway because they're good ideas.

the_motionblur, Kiwasi and Kronnect like this.
  40. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Since Kode80's implementation is there already, I think I should post another great one as well:

https://github.com/cCharkes/UnitySSR

Between the two, Unity has two awesome free SSR solutions already. Not sure why people are so up in arms about it.

41. Glader

Glader

Possibly because Unity is in a position to provide a more efficient solution, among other things, and additionally may be able to tackle the problems such as transparent objects not being reflected due to how transparent objects are supposedly rendered, from what I read Kobe80 saying.

42. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe. Did you check out the solution I linked? It's efficient. What do you want from SSR exactly?

Nah. It's an issue with SSR in general (and all depth based techniques).

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

Read the thread. All those solutions solve the need with limitations (no gamma color space or forward rendering path) and probably will break horribly with newer versions of Unity (which has occured), not saying it needs to be efficient has hell. We want it to be part of Unity.

44. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm very confused. Did you visit my link? That plays nicely with Unity 5, is very efficient and looks great. I believe it also works with gamma.

And about SSR working with forward (in an efficient manner) is kind of impossible. So even a Unity made one will have that problem.

So again. Yes, Unity built in SSR would be nice but:

1) they said they are working on it (multiple times) and for a while now.
    2) there are already not one, but two, free, pretty awesome, SSR solutions. So if you need one today, you have it.

But no, obviously we need a thread demanding they add it to Unity now.

45. Kronnect

Kronnect

Candela SSRR supported forward rendering path so it's not impossible to do.

I'm glad the others work for you.

46. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Hi thanks for the link, but this one docent work on close up and only with sharp camera angle and it´s not so visible, I want it to work with any camera angle, like code80ssr!
    Unity have to make a good solution with SSR, otherwise Unity will never rich the sky of AAA games!

47. Mauri

Mauri

Not really true... AAA quality is determined by Props/Assets in great quality. If you're using pretty ugly-looking Assets, Shaders and Post Processing effects won't help you much. They are just the cherry on top.

48. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

I would like to try Candela 1.03, but it seems that you can´t trust that developer! I want to buy it, but he never anwser my questions back only the first time! Maybe he has taken a long holiday from everything!
    It´s too bad!

49. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

If you want refections on complicated models in realtime with high quality, what do you do????

Kronnect likes this.
  50. Kronnect

Kronnect

I purchased Candela and it worked perfectly on 4.6. It's not compatible with 5. Also it was not suitable for mobile. I'd also like to have some approach to SSR suitable with mobile (perhaps activating lots of tricks and reducing scope/resolution/quality).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.