Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Do you have any plans for the rise and descend functions? Otherwise maybe keep it to simply left and right. I found that by lowering my plane I became impossible for the AA towers to hit.

2. galent

galent

Not that I'm going on a formal plan as of yet, but yes, my thought was a variety of enemies, some smaller where you'd have to dive to take a crack at them. As for the towers, well... right now they attack whenever you come into range, regardless of obstacles in the path. Once they wait for a clear line of sight, you'll find they're quite good at sniping you as you fly by (the code is there, but commented out right now). They also reload slowly and shoot from a fairly long distance, all changes I've put in temporarily so I didn't die constantly :) 2 days ago flying over the rocks meant dying, period ;)

Cheers

3. jedy

jedy

Our mobile platformers logo

4. c-Row

c-Row

My game is making some nice progress. Added all the mechanics I wanted to (coloured goal tiles, "bad" moveables that must not be moved onto a goal) and created some semi-good looking GUI as well. Also figured out why the initial version looked so blurry online. :) (screenshot suffers from JPEG compression)

Currently thinking about how to award a score to the player based on either moves, time or both. Also, level design is harder work than one might think.

Will link to the current version once I added a map introducing each single gameplay mechanic.

5. Ajjar

Ajjar

In my spare time I have been throwing together the Pirates answer for a popular 'fruit' game named Beer Splatter. However I seem to have gotten stuck physics wise lol.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/AJLargo/beer-splatter]

The problem being, when you click the cube or sphere, depending on the height or how much you have let if fall, they will eight shoot higher or drop like a stone. Problem being forces. Test it out and you'll see. It's a 10 sec game so far. Will adjust variables further into testing.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. janpec

janpec

@jedy it looks awesome, so colorful!

7. Farfarer

Farfarer

The I in ZIP doesn't work with the background you've got there. The background goes from orange to green exactly as the carrot does, which means the carrot fades to the background.

Perhaps try a blue background to add some contrast?

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Sweet. And yes, creating puzzles is no easy design task.
    Sometimes tools that generates random conditions for you to work from there helps a lot.

9. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

It says it can not find the game.

10. jedy

jedy

Thanks for the insight. I will share it with our artist.

11. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks !

...and sorry. He was done in a time, when Unity didn't even exist :D
    If you are interested, I can search the 3dsMax File

and btw... some more Unity vs Car Screens...

hope you like it :)

12. blackbird

blackbird

wow thats amazing ..i can't believe that any chance for a web demo ?????

13. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Check out all my fonts in my signature, download links their too

14. janpec

janpec

@Florian scene, shading, mateiral and lighting is perfect, maybe only car modeling could be little more precise otherwise its excellent.

15. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

Agree, shading is amazing and so is the lighting. The structure of the building is really good too.

16. Ajjar

Ajjar

Hey sorry, I believe it's cause I was logged in. I managed to get the right one this time. I hope haha.
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/AJLargo/beer-splatter

ok ps, no models in yet. they are a WIP. hence why this is here. And if anyone at all is interested in helping out with the physics of this thing...please do. lol. It's driving me mad.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  17. galent

galent

Playing around with the plane model... which I believe proves I a) can improve a little at modelling, but sadly, b) shouldn't be left alone with colors :)

First the new model:

Then after I did some... painting:

Cheers

18. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

@galent Nice, I like it.

19. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good but too much polys for games.

20. galent

galent

Well, it's way over the top of iOS/mobile, but even without any optimization I'm having no problems in browser (the total model is about 12K polys, but there's a lot of room to cut that back, only the "wing bandage" has had any poly count attention, it's about 300 polys. It helps that the game itself isn't very graphically demanding at this point.

Cheers

21. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Cubey, my first game has been released, please check it out and try the demo, if you enjoy the demo why not buy it? Leave a rating as well!

http://www.desura.com/games/cubey

Cheers
    Khelton

22. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks good, but I would change to camera view, it's really low.

23. galent

galent

@KheltonHeadley, nice game! I agree with Rush Rage, the camera angle looked a little low. Perhaps you could add an angle switch, or do some A/B testing to see how players react.

[edit] you might want to consider changing the camera follow, perhaps just locked to the center of the track, instead of sliding with the block, or doing a smooth transition. It looked a little jumpy the way it is, I assume you've parented the camera to the block and transitioned instantly when the user presses a key. Just some thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Here it is! Official Trailer for Version 1.1 of Fantasy AI. So much work went into both the package and this video trailer. Please, if you like the video share it! Its rather entertaining!

25. janpec

janpec

Brilliantgamesstudio Brilliant work! Dynamic obstracle avoidance is really great.

26. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

@brilliantgames: I have made/am working on a steering library myself, which has a spherical avoidance behaviour for dynamic obstacle avoidance. Can I ask you what method you used for character avoidance?

27. hellcaller

hellcaller

Looks FANTASTIC!

28. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanks and sure
    Sorry for the huge file size. There's lots of stuff loaded, that I don't want you to see ;)

WebPlayer

Use ALL the mouse buttons !

still lots of things to tweak :) ...

29. gioworks

gioworks

30. HolBol

HolBol

It's okay, but the noise of the truck is horrific.

31. blackbird

blackbird

thank's that's incredible !!!!!!! keep working man i m you number one fan O.O

32. gioworks

gioworks

All graphic and sound is for prototype for now, it will be all replaced when i complete gameplay.

33. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Fantastic work, my only critique is to make the bottom of the tired have a little bit of a dent/bulge (ever so slightly) It will add to the realism. If its a static shot, for sure its needed. If it needs to move then dont worry unless you have a deformer that will make sure the bottom of the tire is always slightly deformed due to the car weight.

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Its pretty simple. The old system used 2 raycasts shooting out in a v shape. When one raycast was hit, the ai would turn to the opposite sidde of the raycast. Now its even more simple and less expensive, but works great. Its a box collider placed in front of the AI, when this collider collides with a 'character' tagged object, or a 'dynamic obstacle' object, it literally turns the opposite direction of the transform of what its colliding with. This really only works on small objects. Although i tested an AI avoiding an entire house with this method. The thing that makes it work so well for character avoidance is the fact that they both turn the opposite direction. Therefore they will always correctly avoid eachother. As well with the axis in the center of the object, the ai will always take the shortest route around the object!

35. DOCSKI_GAMES

DOCSKI_GAMES

36. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

I made a proof of concept for my 'game' HeliQoob, (running on Asus TF300T and Samsung Galaxy S2).

link

Feedback would be great, (although there's not a lot to go on!)

I've been making games for a while, (see www.jamielowesdev.com). If you need any help, have any questions, just mail me!

Cheers!

37. Blacklight

Blacklight

...wow.

38. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

Thanks for the answer. I like the simplicity of the solution.

39. galent

galent

Hey all,

Did a couple minor improvements:
    1) gave the plane model a 4K poly "hair cut", more to be done, but it's a start
    2) improved the aim of the AA towers, missiles also have a limited tracking ability (believe me, limited is a good thing!)
    3) some physics improvements (not that noticeable)
    4) code cleanup
    5) tweaked the tower models (nothing visible)
    6) player now has a health (you can take 3 missile hits before dying), no related GUI yet however.

let me know what you think
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12797862/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

cheers

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  40. RobinS

RobinS

I made a preview video for a character system i created.

Hope you like.

41. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Thanx guys for the positive feedback :)

Good point and the tires are a bit too dark anyway,
    You'll be able to switch and configure parts of the car and use it for some awesome racing fun. The tires will be shown in a close-up so, yeah, they could use some extra realism. Since its driveable, a deformer would be good. We have to take care on our specs but its up on our "very nice to have"-list :)

Looks and behaves pretty solid. Hard too say anything since I don't know what the concept should have proofed.
    If its aiming towards a loose game concept, you should prefer a top down but slightly side-scrolling thing, where you don't have to point over your visual focus, all the time.

and WIPs from HELL ! :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  42. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Wow! Looks Hellish to me! :D

43. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome animations, very fluid!

44. Divinux

Divinux

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  45. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow! Now I feel stupid posting this:

500 faces.

It's for a 2d game I'm making. This is the first car I've modeled, and as you can see I'm very new to modeling. The theme is really simplistic.

46. Divinux

Divinux

Well you shouldn't! The polycount and detail is reasonable, especially after i quoted you and noticed you are aiming at a mobile release. The overall shape of the truck is great, you can clearly see it is modeled after the Ford F-XXX trucks, with its bend in the windowline.

Source: http://trucks.about.com/od/fordtruc...F-350-Pictures/F-350-Truck-Full-Side-View.htm

If you ever feel the need to, you can always add more "slim" polygons around edges to make them more pronounced, like i did here around the trunk, on the bottom of the car and on top of the door. This will give the shame more "profile".

As you can see, my wireframe isnt too complex either, and as a novice myself, i would say between my skill and yours are maybe ten models, at most. You can get there pretty quickly if you keep at it!

47. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

Cubes are cool, but choppers are cooler!

Spent the day learning Blender, writing shaders and self-righting helicopter code...!! Gonna try and put the main dude, Chopper Mike, in the cockpit later :D :D :D

48. hellcaller

hellcaller

this is soooo cooool !!!

49. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I've done like 0 modeling so thank you for the tips!

Btw, this was done in blender.

50. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.