Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NomadKing

NomadKing

Thanks Thunderent. We actually do use a lightmap with AO, but then generate vertex lighting from it and throw the lightmaps away. You then just need a modified Shader that uses vertex colours for lighting. :)

The overall aim is to achieve a good level of lighting but with significant reduced data size (aimed at mainly for webplayer). The above small scene was 2-3MB in a webplayer with lightmaps. The vertex version of the same scene (the one the shots are taken from) is just 174KB. A 2nd scene of 10 times the size was still less than 200KB!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I think it's done... now to make it work!

3. DeadlyInstinct

DeadlyInstinct

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I agree, this is awesome

5. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Nice Legend!

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Legend, do you have any gameplay videos by any chance?

7. osmant

osmant

Yes, pretty sure I will be going :) You too I assume?

8. bobbert234

bobbert234

My very first paid app is almost ready! Its waiting for review and should be out next week sometime. I'll make a new Thread when it's out but for now here is the first screen shot for the app store
    http://t.co/nFWVk0yp
    (I also recommend you follow me on Twitter :)

9. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Are you using beast to generate the llightmaps for conversion or are you doing it in your 3d application?

10. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Of course. Come by and say hi :)

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just did the design for a monster in my game :D:

12. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Textured my Wall Torch...still a Work in Progress,I have to add some cracks,stains,fix some seams and UVs,but i think it turned out pretty good so far :D
    Any feedback?

13. ivanzu

ivanzu

WIP-Some textures for my sci-fi environment.

14. NomadKing

NomadKing

We're using beast, then converting it to vertex colours in Unity (based on the work by hausmaus). Pretty happy with the results so far :)

15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Been a while since I posted in here...my how this thread's grown!

Anyways, starting a new game project, with some of the lessons I've learned from NAFRPG. Of course, to have a game, I must have characters. Thus, this low-poly model (without the texture) that I've been working on for one of the heroes, Altrua the Pure.

I need to take her upper arms up a bit, they're still a wee bit too low, and her toe bone needs to actually move the toes of her boots...

Attached Files:

16. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Where is Unite and when is it? :)

17. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So I've been really working on the healing, tanking hottie Altrua. Here's her with just a preliminary bake. I finally (somewhat) fixed her arms, and got all her body parts correctly mapped to bones.

Attached Files:

19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Nawh! Should get it to the UK next year :) could go to london and meet some of you!

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

@Asvar Digging the model :) could do with some more texture work but i really like the model

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

We need Unite Melbourne Australia!

22. janpec

janpec

Nice pieces Ivanzu, second and third piece look really good.

23. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Can't really get to a character menu without a front end HUD, so here's that (or at least, part of it)

24. Demigiant

Demigiant

While I'm not much into your interface style (not because I don't like your UI, but because I don't like much those types of UI), I appreciate your work a lot. Though I have to say that maybe this one is too encumbering, and will occupy a too big chunk of the screen (even if I suppose this is not the "real" size)?

25. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Well it's an iOS game, so that is exactly the real size (960x640) :) I hear you though... it looks obnoxiously large on desktop, but I personally think UI elements need to be a little extra chunky on iOS for readability's sake (not that I have any experience in it, I'm a web designer). Just an observation from studying other game's UI's (I actually based the amount of screen real estate it's using off of Zombieville USA). I might make the bars slightly shorter though, and maybe reduce the padding on the wood a little.

26. Demigiant

Demigiant

Oh I didn't realize it was for iOS. Then I totally change my style opinion. While on a computer I usually wouldn't like that UI style much, for iOS it's really tasty :) About the chunkiness, that's true. But maybe putting the Pause/Char buttons attached to the top of the screen, on the right of the energybars, would allow for more "air". I might be wrong, but as it is now there's a lot of weight on a corner which unbalances the UI, and it would kind of distract me while playing.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  27. zerocoal

zerocoal

This semester I was marked as an environmental artist in my class. I've gone through a few projects and decided that for my final I would design a level. The game I designed a level for was the 3D platform tutorial from Unity (mostly because I couldn't get Warcraft 3 to work, darn.)

I wish that the "Build Your Own" section of the unity file had more assets to use. Some of the objects found in the tutorial scene weren't available in the build your own stuff, so I had to copy-paste them into my scene in order to get them. Overall, this tutorial was very helpful as far as teaching me some basic things about unity, seeing an updated version that worked with nav mesh on the enemy units would be cool.

Below are some screenshots of the level and a playable build.

Attached Files:

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Im viewing that from a phone and i can see your hud pretty good but I cant read what is in that grey boxes unless i zoom in.

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Welcome to the Unity Forums, zerocoal! There are a couple good links Unity related in my .sig, including a Custom Search Engine. This is good as it is better than the forum search engine and includes other sites like the Wiki and Unity Answers. There are other links in my signature to find more resources. Drop me a line if you run into trouble, and I'll try to point you in the correct direction.

The level looks fun. I'll try to get a look at the build.

When it comes to the Lerpz tutorial, you can use any of the resources available. These are sitting in the assets directory of the Lerpz tutorial. If you use the project as your base, you can use any of the assets directly. If you want to start with a new empty project, you can export any or all of the assets into a Unity package, and import that into your new empty project. You can find this in the Assets Menu:
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/HOWTO-exportpackage

30. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

The smaller version that is rendered in the forum, or did you open it in a new tab at full res? Since its exactly the resolution of a retina-display iphone, if you save it to your iphone and view it in your photo roll, its effectively a perfect representation of what it would look like in-game. I can read them on mine, but they are still quite smal, I might make them bigger or use icons instead. I'm only targeting iOS, so I'm not really concerned with what it looks like on other phones :p

31. ivanzu

ivanzu

I was viewing it via samsung galaxy s so its not the same like on iphone but pretty similar,when i saved the picture and took a look in image browser it looked fine and i could see everything right maybe just darken the letters a bit more and it should be fine.

32. Priske415

Priske415

had a lot of fun with this chick, still have a bit of tweaking to do with the lighting on the texture but other then that shes pretty well finished.

Edit:

A bit bigger, beauty Shot

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  33. welby

welby

where's the like button?

Good stuff,..:)

34. Priske415

Priske415

Thanks, I actually managed to get the texture size down to 512 without losing a whole lot of detail:

35. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Priske415: Nice!

Anyone tryed the new improved gimp 2.8?

I gave it a quick spin today.

You can have the texture as it was a duff up... memo to self! plan, don't dive in XD.

36. ivanzu

ivanzu

I tried it and its damn awesome,just couldn't figure out which pen pressure option to choose so any help is appreciated.

37. osmant

osmant

Will do!

ontopic:
    Been working on some effects;

And my favourite: cigarette( or gun barrel) smoke:

38. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

39. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

40. Muzzn

Muzzn

I couldn't sleep last night, so I got up and coded a terrain system which will allow caves and overhangs. I'll post some pics soon, just need to figure out UV unwrapping in blender.

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I can't sleep tonight waiting to see what you've done!

42. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Model for Brent Ward - Red Menace, textures by Zac.V (Origin)

43. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

She was recently summoned by Snow Villiers. Just sayin'...

In other news, I did a bit of very rudimentary hand-painted texture work on Altrua (Guardian/Healer). I added a black-edged Toon shader to make it a bit more consistent, and gave her some equipment - her mighty shield and life-saving sword, complete with particle effects!

Hopefully I'll have a webplayer of what I'm up to soon - anyone who's ever enjoyed raiding in WoW (or just epic boss fights in general) will probably love what I'm doing...

(EDIT: Just added some highlights - I'm starting to understand the value of a brush set to a wide dispersion with low strength...I think it looks much more anime-ish, which is what I'm after. I think it works, but I'm always open to C&C - I'm known for my code, not my art...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  44. NomadKing

NomadKing

These all look great - especially the smoke! Made with Shuriken?

45. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I like the look of that character :D

46. osmant

osmant

@NomadKing

Thanks! Nope, the smoke is done using the line renderer ^^. I scripted my own little custom invisible particles and the line renderer draws the smoke line between the points.

Started working on another one:

47. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I'm liking these a lot (the smoke especially). When you bump into the yellow, though, it disappears slightly too drastically.

48. Enzign

Enzign

Very nice effects indeed osmant. Great effects makes a game worth playing. ;)

49. Farfarer

Farfarer

Sweet work, Osman.

Loving the smoke and the falling particles of the destroyed bot.

50. osmant

osmant

Yeah the latest version of that one has a very subtle explosion( or implosion) but its dark, so it kinda has a pop just before it disappears. These are my first effects, so pretty much all of them are WIP since I learn new things every day :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.