Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svog

svog

really cool weather effects!! but busterblader is right, rain shouldnt go through the water surface :D

first renderpass of a character i'm doing for selling purposes or portfolio! anyway he needs the weapon covers and more cartridge cases, hope you like it!!

2. Heu

Heu

Alright cool thanks for the tip! :D

3. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Looking for opinions on these tanks with mounted lasers. worst to best is left to right. Will upgrade as the game progress'. Something me and Tate are working on

Looking for comments on:
    Colour scheme
    Aesthetic

Regards
    -Charlie

4. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Update:

The new ones colour hue will change.

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm honestly having a hard time telling that they are tanks mounted with lasers.

6. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Its basically like the tracks of a tank with a huge OP laser mounted on top. Its more obvious with the sprite playing, but If I get more responses like that Ill just have to re-design.

7. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

holy crap!

8. Ayrik

Ayrik

I like them and can see the tank part, I'm sure it looks more like a tank when animated. The red one is my favorite, it looks like a sweet train engine. I can see that you're conflicted about the final upgrade, and I'm afraid it still needs some work but I don't have anything enlightening for a solution. It seems like you should be able to see more treads like the red one.

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Everyone appears to be mistaking the appearance. And ive nailed it down to the actual 'tank' part being to small. So I am going to re-design it. It isn't supposed to be a tank of sorts, but more just tracks, tracks with a huge as laser mounted on. You control the tracks with a joytick, and the lasers direction and firing with another one.

Ill spend a day to redo the base and see if I can get a better reception :)

-Charlie

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very nice. Good scope control for the demo as well.

And DSotP is a great artist. Made me some art (that I have yet to use!)

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Svog: love the colors and the anatomical style! :)

@CharlieSamways: I really like them as shapes, but me too I have to say that I can't recognize them as tanks. Though maybe, instead than re-doing them, you could just animate them and see if we recognize better.

12. Farfarer

Farfarer

He's looking a bit lumpy. I think you'd do well to SDS model the armour rather than try and hard-surface sculpt it. The forms on his jacket and suit look like moulded rubber rather than leather and cotton/denim.

I'd go back and really work on defining the forms and setting up clear material definition using reference for each material and how it folds/hangs. It's not enough to just throw weave alphas over a surface to make it cloth.

It'd fly as a concept sketch if you're just roughing out the design of his clothing, but I wouldn't put that in my portfolio if I were you.

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

@Svog I think it looks really cool, it doesn't look realistic like some people go for but it looks great in an artistic/slightly stylized manner :D

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm wondering what people think of this graphics style and pacifically the text box? do you think this would age badly? i want to make a game that's graphics will age gracefully :)

15. Acumen

Acumen

I would think that aging gracefully is out of the question for any pixelart.
    The text box looks like it has a different pixel density than the ingame assets.It looks like an upscaled art asset somehow?

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm not sure what you mean? the text box is a GUI texture its a 64x32.

I dont think that it is impossible for pixel art to age badly, The Legend Of Zelda: Minish Cap looks nice and it came out ages ago.

17. Acumen

Acumen

I meant that any pixelart looks as nice or not nice as it appeals to people. Not really a matter of age.
    And yup it looks exactly like a blownup 32xtexture. I would think it would be better if you use several modular pieces and tile these and cover that huge screenspace.That way it will look more crisp.Since its a rather prominent screen element.

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

I agree with Acumen. The balloon looks like a badly scaled asset. You should keep it crisper by removing those less-dark pixels on some edges, and you should keep the change in pixel "direction" more harmonic (for example, the corner pixels should be more balanced/symmetric).

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I will fix that tomorrow, how about the idea of the pixelised text box? do you think it suites the game? or should i make have a smoother looking one?

20. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Definently go with a smoother textbox; I agree with the earlier comment that the pixel density is all wrong.

In my experience with pixel art, it's all about consistency; try aiming for a textbox with similar pixel scale to everything else such that it blends really well. At the same time, consider your assets to make sure that to the player, they all look consistent as well.

Your game looks pretty awesome though; I wish I had more time these days to put into Unity games...so many lessons learned from my early attempts... :(

21. Nappael

Nappael

A video by a friend of mine showing off some adjustments. The main fix being that rain no longer appears when underwater.

22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The water is a bit too transparent for me from above, and you may want to look at this thread to see what it would look like with two water planes, one for above and one for below the surface:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/20222

23. Nappael

Nappael

That is a really good idea, why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  24. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Finally have some progress to show for this game I'm making. My idea was to expand on the hover bike level from battletoads (loved that game!) I'm in desperate need of a 3D artist though. Everything I've done so far has just been me.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  25. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Finjitzu, looks awesome. The videos make my palms sweat!

26. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Thanks man! It feels good to have a working prototype! I've got some little things to fix. But after that I'm going to work on some more features. Collectables, slower platforming levels, dynamic obstacles, AI enemies, boss levels and maybe try hosting a leaderboard. I've set my self a dead line for July to finish this. I'm going to be cramming as much time in as I can to get it done.

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm wondering what frame rate people get in my text system?(there is no decimal but there should be so if it tells you its 2000 it is actually 20.00 Hz)
    In the web player i only get 25fps but on my phone i get 60fps? is the webplayer caped at 25FPS?

Here is the link to the web version
    Here is the link to the Android version

Just use the slide bar to crash it into the blue and gray cube to simulate contacting a NPC but if you stop contacting it and move back in it will try and display it twice, but in the real game this wouldn't happen because once you collide the controls will be disabled.

28. Demigiant

Demigiant

Black numbers stay around 6000 for me - on web player

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What specs do you have?

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

A Dell Precision M6400 laptop with:
    Windows 7 32bit
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU
    3.5GB RAM
    512MB Quadro FX 2700M videocard

(oh and as browser I use Chrome - don't know if that makes a difference with the web player)

31. CkSned

CkSned

Not had time to work on my unity titles because ive been at university. But heres 2 games I made this year.

Both are pretty simple because it was the first time using the methods we did. Doodle disaster was made with direct x and c++. The Unnatural was made in xna with c#.

Definately gonna move back to using unity over the summer and work on a few titles with that again though. Love Unity :D

32. blackbird

blackbird

wow thats amazing any web demo ?

33. Wattshout

Wattshout

I thought I'd show the different style my main character went trough: (so far)

34. Duskling

Duskling

Nice!

35. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Not yet. Thanks for the interest though! I wanna work on it some more before putting it out there.

The third level I haven't shown yet. But it's a lot slower, twice the height and with moving obstacles. My first try at it took me like 8 minutes. I need to work on artwork to give players a better chance of knowing where the danger zones are. It's built and it's pretty fun but need to pretty it up.

I've been working on programing projectiles. Wanna get something like a javelin missile working. Then work on a double barrel turret that floats around and shoots at you. Should have those two things done this weekend. It'll add alot of action and more sounds to to the game.

Maybe have an entire level with robots floating around shooting at you. You then need to ram them to destroy them while dodging their shots. More dead robots = higher the score. I'm excited to see how it'll work.

I have to work on the bike collision a bit, add some more colliders to protect the thusters. So that when you hit the invisible walls it doesn't screw yup your controls. After that I can assign different particles to each collider for some sparks etc.

Also need to keep track of how many deaths you have per race. That will effect the eventual medal system, alot like Trails HD.

I also need to work on keyboard and mouse controls. Right now it's keyboard only, and it's really tough. Although maybe people used to PC games will be better at it. Playing with a controller works really good though.

After all that I'm going to focus on art and make it pretty. Also get the full version of Unity and run the profiler to see if there are any programming bottle-necks.

So much to do! I wish I could work on it full-time. Here's hoping I can eventually sell this and make enough money to quit my job.

36. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Been working on a character menu interface... finished the inventory side, need to put character stats and whatnot over on the left now (I have a wireframe done, just settling on styles).

(best if opened in a new tab)

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  37. Acumen

Acumen

woah, that is golden ! Rocks :D

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very Nice Legend411!

39. NomadKing

NomadKing

Indeed, that looks fantastic Legend! :)

40. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Thanks guys :) Trying to decide on what gui solution to slice it up and use it with. Been toying with the UIToolkit, I really like it.

41. osmant

osmant

A little update in video-form! ^^

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wow, I totally dig the graphics. The whole look and atmosphere are awesome :)

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

44. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looking (and sounding) very polished now, great job :)

45. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Just noticed you are in Holland. Are you coming along to Unite this year?

46. primaerfunktion

primaerfunktion

$bears.jpg

Hi guys. I hope this will finally be my first "finished" Unity-Project... If im not losing interest in it again.

You meet a bear hunter in the forest who shat himself while attracting bears with those noises. Now you use your megaphone to help him.

So you have to make noises in front of your computer into a microphone to make them appear somewhere in the forest. The more noises you make the more bears will appear. If you get close to the bears they will start to hunt you so you have to run back to the hunter who will eventually shoot them otherwise they kill you.

Im actually thinking to change the bears into something dumb like unicorns. But there still other stuff to do.

What do you think?

47. Demigiant

Demigiant

Makes me very curious, hope you'll have a web player soon :)

48. primaerfunktion

primaerfunktion

Thanks... I think its going to take some time before i put up anything playable. Because it wouldnt be fun anyway as long as it is unfinished.

49. NomadKing

NomadKing

Working on some very early model / lighting tests for our next project. Attempting to get some good quality lighting without lightmaps

Attached Files:

50. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

@NomadKing It's awesome!I'm looking forward to see it textured :D
    I may sound noobish/silly but how do you exactly want to achieve that ,,good quality lightning" without using lightmaps....AO?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.