Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

2. jorisshh

jorisshh

3. HolBol

HolBol

Damn, that's one heck of a large sword.

Here's a new sword. Nice and low poly!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Tho it looks like you have moved on, I think I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say when I said "guard".

The edge that I thought should be beveled is this "guard" or ornate part surrounding the handle.

Original:

Beveled (in photoshop):

5. HolBol

HolBol

Hmmm.. are you sure that's a good idea? Cos I have some peeps saying keep polycount low, some add more etc etc. What do I do?
    And it might be kinda difficult to bevel that as well now.

6. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Fishman92: I think that your getting the wrong idea from what we were saying. We said that with what you had it can be more lowpoly than it is without loosing shape and silhouette, but this doesn't mean that you can't add to it, just that when you have you model as lowpoly as possible without loosing shape then you can afford to add MORE to it than you would have been able to beforehand. (that is if your thinking of placing it in a game)

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, it all depends on how you want to spend your poly-count and what aesthetic you are going for. For me, the handle didn't need to be so cylindrical and polys could be gained by simplifying there, but for me the guard seemed so sharp and extruded it made me uncomfortable.

If you look at Micah's example:

... compared to the wire frame of your sword:

I might consider not beveling the edges as I suggested in the photoshopped doc I did, but rotating the guard's cuboids from "square" to "diamond". I'm not nearly as proficient as you are and my scale is all wonky, but this is what I'm getting at:

This shouldn't cost you any more tri's but could give it a less blocky look.

8. Priske415

Priske415

A little something I whipped up for a quickie job.

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i think you should study the master sword, it is similar to your sword and i think it could better your meshes(the model is here)

(That is ripped from WindWaker i think)

10. BrynP

BrynP

Thought I'd go for a more high poly head on my character model, I think I'd get away with the extra polies.

He's missing a Hakama though, but I'll rectify that. :)

Topology:

11. fivearchers

fivearchers

Quick mockup/concept of the Serpent torso armor piece (on medium biped legs, several cannons and lasers attached)

heh, just noticed the one to our right is actually walking away from us, with the torso turned backwards.

12. Nappael

Nappael

Two projects going on at the moment. The first is an Android game which is serving as my introduction to RageSpline:

The game is 90% of the way there, just needs fine tuning.

The second project started today, and will become an island exploration game. Some of the art is placeholder, but I like how it is looking already.

And on youtube:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I personally prefer that look, with the knees bent backwards. Somehow, it seems more plausible to me...

14. virror

virror

I agree, somehow it looks better : )

15. fivearchers

fivearchers

I'll have both types of legs in game, but I think I also like the reverse joint better.

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very nice work! And welcome to the forums. If you need anything, shoot me a PM, and/or follow the links in my .sig.

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Chunky! But clean! (Certainly cleaner than my BPOS...) Nice to see, however:

18. HolBol

HolBol

See, that hasn't really been bevelled? I'm just not sure. I like the edgy-ness of the sword. It blends better with the art style, I guess.

19. nickavv

nickavv

Main character model for an Android platformer I'm working on

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Needs some shadowing of sorts nick, im guessing thats just because its in blender but should look sweet when its un UE :)

21. nickavv

nickavv

Indeed, it's still in Blender, as I'm working on some more animations right now. But thanks, I'm excited to get it into Unity too :)

22. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I encourage you to add as much choice and contents as you can manage. "Let´s see... How do I want my knees bent today?"

23. fivearchers

fivearchers

That give me an idea....Bow-legged mechs! And maybe waddling mechs!

24. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Not bad for my first pencil drawing in 8 years, eh? It took me around 3-4 hours to draw my left hand. My scanner cut off part of my thumb and middle finger. The middle finger is more noticeable than the thumb.

25. DavidB

DavidB

That sword isn't bevelled, but the hilt/guard is wedged, so it's not flat from any angle. I think that's the point others were making. Your sword has a strong shape to it, but when you turn on an angle, it looks a bit more bland.

26. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey John, I kind of like the chunky look of the hand, but 3/4 hours to do that are definitely too much even after a decade :p Get that pencil moving until you become the Flash® and do the same in 5 minutes (well, actually the Flash® would do that in 0.1 milliseconds - approximately - but probably the paper would get on fire) :)

27. svog

svog

concept of a personal work for selling purposes or portfolio, i don't really know right now, still needs a lot of work before texturing...

28. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Thank you. I plan on it, believe me on that. To be honest I've never drawn much in my life so to be able to do that is amazing to me.

Now that I think about it, it was probably more like 2 hours.

Edit: The reason why the hand in this picture looks chunky is because my hand is chunky. It feels like it anyway... lol

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  29. drewradley

drewradley

My Prototype RPG or
    "The World's Smallest Role Playing Game."

This is the prototype I made for my upcoming RPG games for Android. Made mostly with the Okashi Role Playing Kit but I did some coding such as the character generator and I coded my own way of changing equipment- still using ORK, but since my armor pieces are all part of the same model, I had to figure out a way to have the inventory change what was active. The figures are original, which I commissioned from Dark Side of the Pixel and rigged and animated myself. The rest was made with assets from the asset store. Well except for the loot bag which I modeled quickly and just put a simple color mat on it.

Use "A" and "D" to rotate the camera. Left click to move. Right click to attack.

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

I finished it!!! This is the first RPG I fully complete since Fallout 3!!! :D As a prototype it's interesting, though the main issue I found (for a prototype), is that the ceiling arcs can capture clicks on the ground. About controls, since you can't attack everybody, you could simply use a single button: clicking on an enemy will attack, clicking on a friend will interact.

31. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Are you going to add a button place points automatically because I'm too lazy to assign points maunally. :p

32. nickavv

nickavv

Finished my animations, threw some little touches on the texture/model. Here it is in Unity, so there's real lighting now, which is nice

33. drewradley

drewradley

Awesome! Mine puts FO3 to shame, eh?
    Yeah, I'll be removing the ceiling since its going to be "isometric". I will be making buttons to click on to attack when I port it to Android, as well as buttons for rotating the camera. At the very least, I will make it so touching an enemy attacks and NPC interacts.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean...

34. nickavv

nickavv

I think he's talking about where you have to assign stat-points in the beginning. He wants a way to automatically assign them. I thought it was a good little start to a game, by the way, nice work

35. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

36. drewradley

drewradley

Yes. I will assign default stat points since I am going to be making it character based. I will allow people to change them, but there will be a default that is ideal for the character and game.

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I really like the look of that :D

38. nickavv

nickavv

Why thank you :)

39. Demigiant

Demigiant

Now it looks really really nice, and probably very funny to animate :)

40. nickavv

nickavv

It is, I set it up with one of the example on-screen joystick things, for mobile devices, so the animation speed links with the level of stick tilt, and it plays a walk animation until the stick is at position 0.5, and a run animation after that. It's really neat

41. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

this is my new 2d sprites game

42. ivanzu

ivanzu

Textures for my Mayan/Aztec environment.
    $rendertexture.png

43. Heu

Heu

Another Work in progress game i've have created so far.

Webplayer Here.

44. Enzign

Enzign

45. Nappael

Nappael

My project from before now has a name, "Hubris". At the moment it is only development title. Not much work will be done on it for a little while due to exams.

I have started to mess about with trees:

And the beginnings of an underwater effect (this was put together on Saturday, but forgot to post it):

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  46. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Looks very cool :) How do you make the Underwater Effects?

47. Nappael

Nappael

Thanks!

The underwater effects are done in two parts. The first is a script that changes the fog and skybox settings when you enter the water, very similar to the script here: http://unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Underwater_Script

The second half is a bubble effect created with the use of a particle system.

48. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Sounds easy :) You shouldn't let the Rain smash through the water... ;) Or decrease the speed of the drops...

49. Nappael

Nappael

Yeah, that is the next thing on my list. :)

50. reissgrant

reissgrant

Wow, a lot of COOL looking stuff in this thread that actually DO need their own thread!! Great work guys!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.