Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrynP

BrynP

Got a character modelled rigged for my project. Basically what I've doing with it is having 1 base mesh (the body) and only having that rigged then I will add bits on top for each character, which can be attached to the skeleton. The idea is to save time creating my character. The main body head are UV Mapped, but I've not attached textures for this shot as I am not happy with them.

Modelled UV Mapped in Hexagon 2.5. Rigged, posed rendered in Carrara 5 Pro.

2. drewradley

drewradley

How do you get it from Carrara to Unity? I've never had much luck with that.

3. BrynP

BrynP

I've not yet tried using animations with it in Unity3D yet but exporting to .FBX from Carrara seems to work fine, if I've got time (as I've got a couple of other things I need to do before I have to go out) I'll see if I can get my animation to play and if I get it to work I'll post it up here, plus the solution. However, I've just imported him into Unity using default .FBX setting without trouble (with my crappy texture) and not having any issues:

4. HolBol

HolBol

Have a sword to go with my frog. It's not the frog's sword, just a sword.

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

Made a very quick (and short) kind of game for the 11th birthday of my "stepson" (and yes, I indulged in Unity Pro's camera filters :D).
    Character animation made with the awesome Smooth Moves, sounds created with the magnificent SFXR, final birthday music by Percy Duke (from freesounds.org), and final "scream" from the "TrollHunter" movie.

You can play it here
    LEFT/RIGHT arrow to move, UP ARROW or SPACE to jump

$HappyBirthdayAki2012_screenshot.jpg

6. BrynP

BrynP

I've searched around a fair bit and not actually found any solutions that work for me either. :/ Found one for Carrara 8, which has a more recent exporter than version 5 (which is what I'm using) that's supposed to work, but I don't fancy buying an upgrade just yet, so I may have to resort to learning how to rig in Blender, shame because I'm not really a Blender fan. ;)

[edit]

I am reading Carrara 5 Pro's .FBX exporter doesn't export animation or materials, which would explain why nothing works for me. This is a pain, but apparently more recent versions should be compatible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. NomadKing

NomadKing

Haha, that's sweet :) Did he like it?

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hah, a lot (or so he says, since he's well educated :D)

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You are getting really good at texturing :) get some shadow on the boy! you've improved so much. Would love to see the maps when they're done! ;)

10. Duskling

Duskling

Fun! Nice work man!

11. Avanger

Avanger

THIS IS NOT MY WORCK

but i find it and i think is incredible

12. DOCSKI_GAMES

DOCSKI_GAMES

teamINOV's first person action game, WrathOfAngels, experienced another update.... focusing on particle effects this time around, we release new videos frequently so stick around for more

13. Avanger

Avanger

Login Menu Not finished iet

14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

That looks sweet!

15. Avanger

Avanger

thanks

16. HolBol

HolBol

Thanks dude!

Adding some more detail today!

17. BrynP

BrynP

Trying to work out my game's style, I quite like how Nier used a camera to the side of the scene for some parts of the game, I'm thinking of constructing all of my dungeons this way (rather than just using it for builds like Nier), would kind of be a little like Zelda dungeons, except to the side rather than top down.

18. c-Row

c-Row

Well, Pokemon and Digimon can be easily mixed up by the untrained eye, but that didn't stop the latter from selling a huge pile of trading cards every year despite its resemblance of the Pokemon art style. As long as Varedis doesn't start to blatantly copy specific Pokemons, he should be fine I guess.

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

But, Pokemon and Digimon are actually very different games in play style the art style(even that varies a fair bit) and the name is similar.
    Of course Varedis can do what ever he wants and no one should tell him other wise but his game plays similar and has a similar art style.

Quick fact:
    Digimon actually came out before Pokemon.

I still much prefer Pokemon though :D

20. c-Row

c-Row

I looked up an image of Google, and those critters looked pretty much the same to me. ;)

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I probably just have a highly trained eye i have played the games sense i was like 5 :p

22. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good but handle is too blocky.

23. HolBol

HolBol

What do you mean by too blocky :)?

24. ivanzu

ivanzu

Well you could use more polys on the handle with 6 sided cylinder it would look good.

25. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Fishman92: just rotate the cube 45 degrees. As a rule you should think about the planes of the object (what would the person see the most), in this case the front side of the sword and the side, keeping this in mind rotating the handle/cube can give the effect of a cylinder better than the side of the cube (if done properly) shading would also help.

26. HolBol

HolBol

It uses 16 sides around the handle.

There's no cube, dude! It's a cylinder.

To both you guys, it's just because I'm using a Toon shader with quite a strongly defined ramp.
    Here's the handle again :

It's very smooth, and definitely not a cuboid xD!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  27. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

haha it's all an illusion! I would then suggest not to use that shader :p I mean why have the detailed model if we (us Dude's as you said haha) are just going to see flat shapes?
    Can we see some wires?

28. HolBol

HolBol

Cos it's supposed to be a sort of toony, flat style. Here's a wireframe!

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

What would also be good (and may avoid enhancing the illusion of square blockiness) would be bevel the edges of the ornate guard. As this is clearly blocky, and it might influence the viewers' feelings that the handle is blocky as well. Moreover, rendering the image off axis might help to give the image a dynamic feel.

30. HolBol

HolBol

Same here, it is already beveled; it's just the shader. Check the wireframe above :).

Also, the render was just to show the main look-and-feel of it, I can post a full render though :).

31. Duskling

Duskling

I am no artist, but I always wanted to learn a bit about art so I could concept up some stuff ( I work alone 99% of the time ). I am currently learning some more about modelling and I am also working on my digital painting skills in photoshop. This is like 10% done, I have alot more details to add and effects and such. What do you guys think? First time making mountains and I am not sure if it is that great.

32. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Fishman92: I think you need to go back to the model as it is way to highpoly as I thought. If it's supposed to be a flat style then why have such a highpoly model? It's just a waste? Might as make it lowpoly. I can achieve what you have done with simple shapes. I will use one of my older works as an example:

And then even my model could lose some triss ( but I mean it's lowpoly enough that I can afford to use it places that need that little bit extra)

33. HolBol

HolBol

This wasn't meant to be a low-poly model, as such, though. More as something you'd see once, and from there after be replaced by a lower poly version throughout the rest of the game.
    This 'flat' style doesn't necessarely mean lack of detail, aswell.

34. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

clicky

Working on my generative biodata drawing application for my thesis

35. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Just made a terrain to the beat of a dubstep song ._. it actually turned out good.. like normal

36. Demigiant

Demigiant

Working on a simple platform engine. You can play it here (arrows to move, space to jump) - it's just a superprealpha of the engine :)

$PlatformEngine.jpg

@MrDuskling: mountains are a real pain in the ass to do. They seem like a simple thing, but they definitely aren't :D About yours, it all depends on what will go in the foreground, though I'd suggest to scrap the sky gradient, or to make it less strong.

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think every one should go as low poly then can for everything regardless of it matters or not as all it will do is make you a better modeler, Why have a 16 side cylinder when a 4 sided cube rotated 45 degrees would look the exact same?

Of course it doesn't really matter but still you would learn more from making it as low poly as you can :)

39. Farfarer

Farfarer

The big blobs on the corner don't work with the "clock face" design. Which I think more people will get than you're giving credit for - it was the first thing I noticed about the design. Then thought it was a bit stupid as there's no such time as 6:82, so what's a clock face got to do with anything unless it's a company that makes clocks or deals with time...

Rightmost banner one works best for me if you take the numerics out and remove the blobs from the corners.

40. fivearchers

fivearchers

First in-game shots of my Biped style leg parts:

full size

It will be slower and tougher, and is also about 30% larger than the existing "chicken walker" style.

I'm getting better as I go - actually made a few different prefab plates, and joints and put them together (then deleted invisible faces). Also saving the basic armor plates as I go, building up a bigger library of model parts.

41. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Games looking better with each update, keep up the good work!

42. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thanks! I do appreciate it!

43. HolBol

HolBol

Anyone got Ideas on what I should model next?

EDIT: Don't fear, blender is here!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  44. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Its not actually supposed to be a clock face, It is just supposed to be a symbol, for example like the radioacticve symbol. It is based off the style of SCP logo. and to create a logo similar with a circle I thought I would point three lines in the direction of 6,8 and two. Anywho, thanks for you input but the guys are happy with the logo now.

45. HolBol

HolBol

Simple sword.
    Here. Keping it simple with some vertex paint before I texture it. Any changes to make?

46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Blade = perfect
    Handle = to high

Remove the verts around the cylinder at the bottom, make it roughly 4-8round so either a diamond on the bottom or a low poly cylinder. Handle it self could be 2 less round and the part that is in between the blade and the handle it would be ncie to see a wire frame of.

Look cool :) wish I could texture like your frog still, so awesome...

47. DavidB

DavidB

You should make hillarious wearables for your frog dude. A monacle would be easy to model and probably look great :p Maybe a hat as well. Not sure if you need practice on cloth based stuff... might be worth a shot if it's worth your practice time.

48. HolBol

HolBol

Hey, thanks!
    Here's a wireframe for you before I make any changes.

And as for the frog texture, my advice is just get real savvy with a keyboard and mouse when texturing. I've adapted to it as I have no graphics tablet, but I find my results in photoshop currently work the best for me, and this style.

Haha, I'm not sure if I want him wearing anythign, but a monacle sounds fun :L! And I've never done cloth-based stuff, so I can try, I guess?

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

+1 for the frog monocle! It would definitely suit the frog! :)

50. Blacklight

Blacklight

Top hat and monocle! Maybe even a huge cigar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.