Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanzu

ivanzu

For what is it?And are you going to hand paint it or something else?

2. SONB

SONB

Ok, my Simple TODO is on the Asset Store. Thanks to all who gave me some advices on how to implement the Undo system (Wiki script) and to the author of the script. It helped me a lot.

Oh and here is the link to the Asset Store forum :)

3. jessee03

jessee03

Looking neat so far!

4. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

Well, at this early stage of the project I don't feel like cursor locking really is that essential. Turning the player's ship is already limited to the game screen's boundaries so moving the mouse outside the game's screen doesn't make the ship turn faster. Later on I will surely lock the cursor but for this I need a visual representation of the cursor so that the player knows and sees why the ship is turning or not turning.

Mmmh... currently it's just an alpha version and I was just too lazy to do that ;-)

Mh, nope... the mouse wheel will be used for changing weapons or changing target... I'm still not sure which of those two provides a better gameplay experience but I'm gonna play around with that. But I think speed changes and movement should be on the keyboard (WASD+QE)

That's all coded by myself... I know it looks a little bit weird, especially when two ships collide but again: alphaaaa ;-) I know I'm gonna have to improve this ;-)

Thanks for your reply :) I like posts like yours: showing ways on how to improve is always a good thing :) Thanks!

5. HolBol

HolBol

More frog! Bwahahah evil!

6. Lmentar

Lmentar

Thanks c-Row

Another two screenshots.
    The character textures still unfinished, clothes with just normal maps.

7. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

8. Lmentar

Lmentar

Nice Frog Fishman92!

Have you tried cell shading with outlines?

9. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Well,it's a wall-torch,but given the fact that you're confused about what it is makes me think that I ,,designed" it wrong :D.doesn't really look like a proper torch,doesn't it?I can change some parts because I haven't started UV Mapping it yet,just tell me what you think it looks ,,wrong'' on it?

You gave me an idea and I'll do a hand-painted version of it too :D

It's for a pack I'm making for the Asset Store,I've already got like 20 models(fire related,I'll explain later,maybe make a thread about it)...but they still need some polishing.It will be ready in max 2 weeks.

@Fishman92 Your ,,frog" looks so much better!Maybe you could darken the eybrows more,but that's just my personal taste,but still,it looks good!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. HolBol

HolBol

I really really REALLY dislike outlines, which is why it is how it is. I was going for a more TLOZ: The Wind Waker style here. Thanks for the compliment though!

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahaha, doesn't look evil to me, just incredibly full of himself, like he's thinking "I'm wise! and cool! and sexy!" :D

12. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

@jesseetzler: Thanks :)
    @Lmentar : Nice shots! Kind of has a Team ICO feel to it (which is a really good thing in my opinion :))

Something a little different this time:

I wanted to take a break from school work and my game, so I started making a little foliage pack. It has 6 different kinds of plants, 3 different kinds of flower pots and 2 mushrooms. Currently the plants and mushrooms have just a hastily put up diffuse texture, and the pots have just a color, but I plan on polishing up the textures and I'll probably also make normal maps.
    If this becomes decent enough, I might sell it on the asset store for some low price.

Oh, and all the plants and mushrooms use a single 2048x2048 texture (might shrink it to 1024, if quality doesn't suffer too much). The pots will probably share a 1024 or 512 texture.

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I knew it was a wall torch. I like the wall torch. Very "strong" in feel to the design...

14. DavidB

DavidB

I know I said it before, but I love this guy. He looks great now! Tons of character to him.

Can I ask what you modeled it in, and where you took this render from?

15. HolBol

HolBol

I modelled in blender, and used photoshop to handpaint the texture with a keyboard and mouse. I'm not joking xD.
    This picture is from inside Unity itself.

16. fivearchers

fivearchers

Working on Drop Ships for my Mechs - here's a render of the animation - just have to bake send to Unity and then add some particles etc:

17. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wow, great! And I love the evil red light :)

18. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thanks! Although the light will hopefully not be quite as evil, it will eventually be flashing alert type lights. (Though depending how it goes, maybe "evil" faction with jet black mechs and drop ships, with that level of light....

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

QuentinP: Very nice. Likes it!

20. XGundam05

XGundam05

@QuentinP: very impressive o.0

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  21. Priske415

Priske415

What Ive been up to...

22. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thanks!

23. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Just something I abandoned for about 1 month or two... wishing to have more time on a day(30 hours a day is enough I think) so I can continue to work on this thing...
    http://www.bart-the-13th.comyr.com/RedHood/

24. jessee03

jessee03

Looks very interesting. Is this for any project or just a random character of yours?

25. varedis

varedis

Two player character designs for Monimals:

26. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Have you checked out the legality's of how close you are walking towards Pokemon? i think that your on the line and you must not forget that Nintendo has allot more money to drag you to the depth of the earth to take down your game.

I'm not saying you are going to get closed down but your game it to a closer degree then Project Wiki and Nintendo shut them down(same art style as wind waker)

27. NomadKing

NomadKing

Interesting looking character - I like the texture work on the armour. What game is it for? :)

28. varedis

varedis

Seriously? Which character do you think we have directly copied here? I just googled Project Wiki and the player character is a direct clone of Link from Zelda.
    We are not using any copywrited or trademarked material, yes the style could be related to Pokemon but we aren't ripping characters out of Pokemon and pasting them in with different clothes.

If I get contacted by Nintendo or their lawyers then I will gladly discuss with them what needs to be done but I won't take legal advice on trademark or copyright law from a forum.

29. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

Well the thins is, the work you are doing is great! But if I would search for pokemon and your pictures would show up there, I would buy it as pokemon content. Everyone immediately thinks of pokemon when they see your work. That does meen it looks a bit to much like it I gues... Of course, they don't look exactly like any content created by Nintendo but its the same kind of game and for example the battle thing looks exactly the same... Like pokemon 2.0

Don't get me wrong, I really like the work you've showed so far! Its just a warning ;-)

30. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Your artstyle, monsters and gameplay looks exactly like Pokémon. In fact, I would confuse your monsters for official art of new-generation Pokémon.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just a caution :D

This is a tree Ive been working on, Does anyone know if stealing colors is illegal? i stole these colors can i just change them slightly?
    You can look at it on a turn table here:

32. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Steal colours? o_O.. Thats the most obscene thing ive ever heard. im going to sue your ass mister.

33. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

it happens to me that i had to work for a big global company that paid a designer to make them a color for their logo and they really have a copyright on it^^
    but i guess this was a very very special case :)

34. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looking good!

You can color pick any color you want unless someone invented new color and you color picked it and used.
    Answer is nope!

http://www.quora.com/Can-a-color-be-copyrighted

35. Priske415

Priske415

Im currently contracted to these guys: http://www.underverseonline.com/
    All of the characters Ive posted have been for them. Thanks so much for the kind words.

36. Max_Damage

Max_Damage

37. drewradley

drewradley

Maybe everyone under, IDK, 15 or 16 but I've never watched or played a single pokemon game, etc so I have no idea what the look like. Well, I have a vague idea from commercials and the art in question doesn't look any more like them than any other anime style artwork.

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please, let's not belabour the point about copyright and trademark. Each developer creates at their own risk.

If for some reason you feel that the developer is directly mis-appropriating material and claiming it as their own (art, models, etc.), then please to raise a flag.

If for some reason you feel that the developer really misunderstands the nature of the business, then a simple caution - perhaps even in PM - might be in order.

This is a creative thread and the forums are primarily a place of support, so let's be supportive.

Varedis has released at least one title.

It's his creativity, his business, his neck.

Frankly I think the artwork Varedis has posted looks slick and professional - but that being said - so much of the art and craft here shows great talent! Charlie, Ivanzu, Titany, Schlumpfsack, Janpec... the list goes on. You all have your own style.

Let's celebrate the good work here.

39. Demigiant

Demigiant

40. NomadKing

NomadKing

Interesting project. Your model matches the concept very nicely :)

41. fivearchers

fivearchers

Got my Dropship into Unity, and added some particle effects etc!

Video also shows some other gameplay features.

(The awesome music is by Jeff Heim, bought it from his royalty free library)

42. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

43. fivearchers

fivearchers

Yes! That's him! (Should've linked!)

44. StormGamer

StormGamer

why did you abandoned this project? it looks damn cool!

45. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Here's the problem. Here's a screenshot from a Pokémon game:

Here's what Varedis posted:

Here are some starter Pokémon from the Pokémon games:

Here's what Varedis posted:

Zero resemblance, right?

46. Kona

Kona

I like the art Varedis, keep up the good work! :)
    Dungeon Siege ain't a direct clone of Diablo, the art and graphics in those games have greater differences than compared to your game and Pokémon ofcourse, but hopefully it won't be a problem for you either. :) And in case it actually would turn out to be a problem I'm sure the Pokémon-people would first of all contact you and warn you about it with some info on what they would possibly feel like it insults their copyright. ( Sorry for the grammar, I'm tired as hell! )

47. Priske415

Priske415

Thanks man you can check out some of the other characters Ive done for them on my site.

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

This is a screenshot of my chess game WIP :D I'm trying to make a demo of the graphics before i try to find a programmer.

49. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It's looking nice. You may want the character sprite to be at less of an angle to the camera, though.

50. varedis

varedis

Like I said before the battle screen is merely a prototype and has already changed in look, style and feel.
    The game is not even in alpha stage yet so nothing is set in stone.

Anyway let me worry about any possible infringements. You are basing your argument that I am going to get shut down on a couple of early screenshots and out of context art. At least wait until you see a video of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.