Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Haha, thanks janpec! I'm trying to improve my normal mapping and UV skills so I can make a low poly char look good enough! So far it's harder than it looks. That one is 2.4k, which looks good imo, but I made a 1.5k, and it already looks kind of bad. Doing plenty of tests! :-0

2. janpec

janpec

Chinese water dragon fountain. I might be starting new RTS project based on chinese, not sure yet. It is quite high poly for strategy game, but i am counting on polygon reduction tool from asset store:D

3. Mauri

Mauri

This looks really nice, janpec! Good job :)
    May i ask which program did you use for it?

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wow, it's beautiful!

5. janpec

janpec

Thanks guys:D

3ds max, Zbrush, 3d coat, Xnormal, Photoshop, Mudbox - in that order:D
    Max for basic modeling, Zbrush for full sculpting of 4 subtools, Xnormal for baking all maps, Photoshop for turning normal map into cavity, and Mudbox for final painting.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Great fountain! Is the water refractive by any chance? O_O
    Your workflow is really intriguing! Didn't know you could turn normal map into cavity map within photoshop!
    I've heard you can bake AO in normal map, but not sure if it even works in unity... :-0

7. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

I just LOVE it! :D Must... See... More :p I would definitively want to play an rts in that style ;-) But usually the rts projects on this forum never get finished somehow...

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

Awesome,you are god!

How long it took you to finish it?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

If I may ask, what is a cavity map and what is it used for? Because I can't find any thing really explaining what it is... I've never heard of it before you just said it :p Not even at school...

10. janpec

janpec

Water isnt reflective, becouse it is just placeholder, i will add Unity water for final game , which has refraction and particles for that part of water comming out of statues head. I might be adding chinese carp fish too which will be rendered only with LOD 0 when camera is close to fountain. Yep you wont believe how great improvements can make turning normal map into several cavity maps. I got this tip from some user on forums and never has any small tip so much changed the final result like this one. What i do is basically import normal map, then go to filter- find edges and then turn into grayscale. Then you have to play arround with levels a little (Mode- levels) to really highlight edges how you want them. I usually end up doing two or three different cavity maps, and usually i dont even extract cavity from high poly model becouse it is not needed (and for model 5 milion polys+ it also takes like forever on low CPU).
    Yep you can also bake AO from normal map or normal map from AO, which can be done with NDO plugin for photoshop. This is plugin that allows you to preview 3d model inside photoshop and you can adjust all maps (specular, diffuse, AO, normal) from just one map. I dont use it becouse it is little complex, but you can create amazing results with it. It also allows you to really specify normal map depth, sharpness, edges and many other options. If you are making normal maps from diffuse textures, this is a must to have plugin becouse it creates flawless normal map from images.

@Ivanzu, it took very long, i was working on it four days in spare time, it took long mostly in Zbrush becouse i am still not very fluent with Dynamesh and its sculpting.

@Crash-Konijn Cavity map is map that darkens really tiny holes or scars of highpoly model. It is not dependent on light source, it is dependent on structure of model itself. AO map for example is dependent on light source, so it will make lighted area bright, and shadowed areas dark, but cavity map makes darker only those areas that are in very high angle to their next surface. For example if you have that tire model:

Those stripes on tire will be darkened and the rest of the model will be white. You will get much better picture if you just use Xnormal use one of your example models, bake cavity map from highpoly model on low poly and you will see what gets darkened. Cavity maps are good becouse you can use them on models in any engine, even in realtime engines like Cryengine, since it makes no sense to use AO map there.

11. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

Thank you for the explanation! Ill go try your workflow now :) Although some things are completely new to me (everything except basic modeling :p) but I really like your result so I must learn ^^

ps. pasting the browser link of google instead the on of the picture isn't going to work ;-)

12. ivanzu

ivanzu

13. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

Been playing with gimp to see what I could get so this is what I did.
    1.Open your normal map.
    2.Go to Filters/Edge Detect/Edge/Amount to 2.0 and set to black.
    3.Colors/Desaturate
    4.Colors/Invert(Sometimes you have to use it)
    5.Then tweak the brightness-contrast

15. janpec

janpec

Ivanzu here is example, i have gave it rather on cannon, becouse it have very dense cavity map. Cavity map was created from normal map in photoshop.

16. ivanzu

ivanzu

Awesome,mine cavity map turned out similar to that one.

17. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hi !
    Interesting explanations !.

So, this cavity map is the diffuse map ?
    Or it should be added as an overlay of a diffuse map ?

Also, This cavity map is a kind of AO map right ?
    So instead of baking AO out of high poly model, you recreate AO map with a normal map and photoshop right ?

Or maybe i am wrong, please teach me :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  18. ivanzu

ivanzu

It is basically AO just in much higher quality you overlay it over the diffuse map/Specular map so you get depth on your model.Cavity map comes handy when you need to do stuff like scars,scratches,wrinkles etc.

PS
    Its much easier to create a cavity map using heightmap(Basically Normal Map in grayscale) but it means another baking procces.

19. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hum, i get it, but i don't understand why cavity map is supposed to be much higher quality than AO ?
    Maybe they are just calculated differently, so i don't know if we can say that one is better than another.

20. ivanzu

ivanzu

AO is used for low detail bakes as it can only bake larger area while cavity is the opposite.

21. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

I got it now, thanks :)

22. bgivenb

bgivenb

23. c-Row

c-Row

There's nothing wrong in my opinion. Looks like a perfectly normal rocket launcher to me.

24. Avanger

Avanger

New picture The thief graphic update:

25. Mau

Mau

Another update of our indie game: Caravan
    We are currently doing an environment sprint, so I'm sculpting rocks and plants, over and over again :D
    follow our development at http://spielebaustelle.wordpress.com/ or via twitter: @uniworlds
    $greenshot_2012-03-28_15-11-21.jpeg $greenshot_2012-03-28_19-01-53.jpeg $greenshot_2012-03-26_14-27-16.jpeg

26. fivearchers

fivearchers

Here's a video showing how some of the mech damage works so far!

27. omarzonex

omarzonex

wow

reality Nice

very good work

28. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Why are you making an MMO if the game is called Thief ?(which is of course a registered name you can't really use, adding "The" doesn't save it).
    You can make an RPG since the focus is on the thief and increase your chances of completing the game.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've mainly been working on my combat system and some basic AI. But here's a thing:

30. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good but I think that helmet lacks detail you should put some rivets on bottom of the helmet.

31. janpec

janpec

@Billowe Fantastic character, i like it a lot!

32. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

Awsome! I really like the lighting on the charachter :)

33. BoomWav

BoomWav

Hello guys! I've started Unity this week and I got something really cool right now. What do you think?

Cube War Unity

34. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There are lots of good things about that demo, especially if you've just started.

My plug: Look in my .sig for link and look at the Teaching section of the forum for tutorials and other info.

35. BoomWav

BoomWav

Thank you! One thing is that a lot of the codes were made/inspired by all the free stuff made available by the Unity Community. The only think I had to do was to put them together. My main goal right now is to stop being sidetracked by all the cool stuff I could do.. and start doing my game. It'll be hard. :)

- Skydome with day/night cycle with clouds (by Pixel Studio)
    - Smooth FPS camera (inspired by SmoothMouseLook and the original MouseLook script)
    - "Fade-in” and “Fade-out” effect when you die. (Using Kentyman code)

I hope I can, one day, contribute to the community too.

BTW.. thanks for your links. They were cautiously saved for further reading.

36. ivanzu

ivanzu

MP41-WIP
    Currently H-poly around 450000 Polys.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  37. HolBol

HolBol

Where are they all used then? Seems an unnescessary amount.

38. ivanzu

ivanzu

No idea,but I don't really care much as this is still WIP and H-poly.

39. saymoo

saymoo

Still... for such a simple shape, 450K is way too much, even for sculpting ;)

40. ivanzu

ivanzu

Cant really do much when subdivision is set to 1 but I'm adding a lot of details so 450k comes handy:D.

41. ivanzu

ivanzu

Finished the low poly it has 2700Tris.
    Last image for today unless I finish texturing it today.
    $mp412.png

42. janpec

janpec

Cut him some slack, its just high poly people:p

Nice looking gun Ivanzu, for texturing if you need some tutorials i would suggest you AK-74u tutorial from Racer, however it is veeeeeeeery long tutorial.

43. fivearchers

fivearchers

450K is quite reasonable for sculpting, especially if it's still a dynamesh. It'll have to be retopo'ed when it's done anyways!

44. ivanzu

ivanzu

I heard for his tutorial but his website is down been like that for a while and here is the test bake still have to fix some stuff up and tomorrow texturing!
    $mp412.jpg

45. fivearchers

fivearchers

Working on some buildings now.

46. janpec

janpec

Bonsai plant. Quite happy with final results, going to test Larsbertrams shader on it very soon.

Modular road asset. It might still be just placeholder, it will have to be tested in game. There are two types of roads, and every road is on basis just plain sand road, after upgrade it gets pavemented.

I have also opened new development blog under WIP forum section.

47. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

My FPS RPG Boreas (blog link with vids, etc.. at bottom).

$Image1.jpg

48. ivanzu

ivanzu

MP-41
    Finished tweaking the Normal maps,here are the results!
    $mp41uv.png
    $mp412.jpg

49. Acumen

Acumen

@Billowe: I love that little fella :D
    The tiny eyes give him just the perfect character. Movement rocks, too. Would love to see more of that :)

still blopping along....Hope to see it in action soon enough. Will take the jump and purchase an Ipad, next week hopefully :D

50. HolBol

HolBol

That looks absolutely amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.