Search Unity

Slice's Armory for UMA

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sliceandkill, Apr 1, 2015.

?

What Would You Like To See Soon in the Asset Store

1. Casual modern clothes

15.6%
  2. Historical armour

34.4%
  3. Fantasy armour

59.4%
  4. Headgear and accessories

12.5%
  5. More hair

21.9%
  6. Skin textures

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Planing to make several armor sets for the UMA Avatar, so feel free to post some ideas since I'm open for suggestions.
    First project is a viking armor set and it was submitted to the asset store few hours ago.

I also made a free hats pack. Actually it's a cowboy hat with 10 different textures. It was submitted last weekend so it should be up soon.

2. ivendar

ivendar

Fantastic work on that armors. Any chance to see them for Mixamo Fuse too ? :)
    I really like that you add the look for dirt and blood, maybe there can be an option for clean+blood and dirty without blood too ? Might make sense sometimes.

Personally I would prefer more of fantasy/medieval armor and clothing like hide armors, plate armor and so on. But what I really think would be good if the armors can be combined without problems, like use a chainmail torso but elvenmade gauntlets for example. Also accessories would be a great add-on like quiver for back and side, backpacks and girdles.

Best Regards

3. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Yes, I am planing to convert everything I make for UMA to Fuse also and yes, you can combine this armor with other pieces from other sets with no problems :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Hope to finish it tonight

5. Teila

Teila

Looks good! Any chance you could post a video with a UMA character walking/moving in the armor? I have UMA pieces I can't use because of holes in the armor where the body parts poke through. I like the historical theme of this armor.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'd also vote for:

Townspeople - merchants, monk, blacksmith, nobles, etc.

7. hopeful

hopeful

I'm so glad to see another artist working to make UMA assets! My request is that you make everything you feel inspired to make.

And thank you for the free hat! :)

8. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Glad you like it!

@Telia: I don't have a video yet, since I still don't know an easy way to check UMA animations. I have only tested the rig/skinning in Maya and in the default UMA scene with that running animation, but I'm sure everything is well skinned and you won't get any holes or ugly deformations (as long as you don't force abnormal extreme animations).

9. Teila

Teila

Make a video of the default UMA scene and the guy running. :)

But I trust you regardless. Thanks for the info.

10. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Last one from this pack:

cyby89 likes this.
  11. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

New outfit:

12. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Who said that Mrs. UMA can't look hot?

Whippets and hopeful like this.
  13. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Since I'm still a beginner at working with Unity, can anyone recommend me a free, easy to use scene with a nice lightning, where I can preview my models, textures, make screenshots, etc?

14. cyby89

cyby89

15. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Thank you!

16. hopeful

hopeful

On the Viking armor ... is it designed for easy recolor? One of the fun capabilities of UMA is customization through color setting.

17. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

No... I totally forgot about that on the first sets I made. But for the next submissions I'm planing to include grayscale overlays.
    That doesn't mean you can't recolor it though. From what I know only really dark colors are impossible to recolor.

cyby89 likes this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

My suggestion for the future, then, is maybe to design in a way that favors recoloring overlays in a way that is easy for players, but still detailed enough to be interesting.

Like, on the Vikings, could there be one color that is chosen for the angled or crossed pieces, and one color for the under material ...? Maybe even arranged so as to allow for the cross pattern to be laid over the mail, or the angled pattern to be laid over the leather?

Likewise, the circular chest armor piece with straps could be applied with any set of the armor. Or possibly on a bare chest.

Maybe that's not entirely practical, but I think you probably get my idea. More compartmentalization. :)

19. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

You can do that already. The arms and chest are different slots for this armor. For the next one I combined them, thought is easier and faster to manage less slots..

20. hopeful

hopeful

I think you probably responded to an earlier version of my post before I finished re-editing it. Sorry about that.

More separated slots - allowing for mixing and matching - is what I'm looking for.

Maybe other people want fewer slots. (?)

21. Teila

Teila

Oh yeah, more slots. Don't combine anything you don't have to combine. :) And coloring them is important.

hopeful likes this.
  22. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Good to know :)

23. hopeful

hopeful

IMO, think of it as something written by Dr. Seuss, but the main word is slots.

Like:

Slots on slots, sick!
    Slots on slots, rock!
    Forget Fox in Socks!
    We want slots on slots on slots! ;)

24. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

I understand. But still, avoiding that clipping we all hate gets harder and harder with every piece you add.

25. hopeful

hopeful

Right. My philosophical take on it is to separate "skin tight" designs from "bulky" designs. So a player customizing their character could build a skin tight look first, then add on bulky items knowing that the bulky items have to be carefully chosen to avoid clipping with one another.

While we want to avoid clipping, all of us know it is going to happen at some point in most cases.

26. hopeful

hopeful

BTW ... on a totally separate sort of topic ... do we have working cloth yet in Unity 5? And is anybody using it?

27. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

I don't know nothing about that, but I really want to see UMA 2 here, faster. I make my textures mostly using Substance Painter is damn hard to make them look right without PBR shader.

Teila and hopeful like this.
  28. Teila

Teila

I have plenty of UMA clothing from the asset store that does not clip so it doesn't have to happen.

Skin tight clothing, such as the shirt and leggings you are using above, lay directly on the skin as an overlay so should not clip. The tunic would go over these and if the tunic doesn't clip into the skin, it should not clip into the overlay. If you make a tunic with baggy pants, I would probably put those all in one piece because chances are the tunic will clip into the baggy pants. Same is true of a long dress. If the outfit cuts at the waist or close to the waist, you can get away with two pieces.

Now some creators cut the body at parts that are not part of the UMA normal pieces. Will, for example, sometimes includes a separate stomach piece, arm piece or neck piece with his clothing that uses the UMA skin overlays. These work great. I modified a piece by making a separate leg piece so one of the outfits I received in the Atavism set could be worn without boots. That piece, by the way, clipped badly in the upper torso back area so is not usable to me. That is why I ask for videos. :) It was a tunic over an overlay so no reason it should clip.

29. cyby89

cyby89

A good balance of slots should be fine.
    I use 7: Head, Torso, Shoulder, Hands, Legs, Shoes and Back

30. hopeful

hopeful

What I meant was that if you have a lot of different slots from different artists with non-overlay, bulky type modeling, and you allow any combination of slots, your chances of getting some clipping are practically assured.

There's a design continuum with UMA, where at one end you've got the freedom to combine all these different slots - as many slots as you want - and color them, and resize them, and so on. And on the other end you've got design demands to prevent clipping, which - if you can add any slot and combine any slot - logically restricts you to skintight designs or designs where groups of slots are combined.

If you have non-skintight items like sunglasses and helmets with visors, you are going to get clipping if they are used together. The solution is neither to avoid making sunglasses and helmets, nor is it to make one head combined with sunglasses as a slot and another head combined with a helmet as a slot. To me, the solution is to create chunky items that could clip if used together, and let the user sort out which ones to use.

So yes, design to minimize chances of clipping. But also design to allow the greatest freedom to combine different slots.

twobob and Teila like this.
  31. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Druid WIP:

cyby89 likes this.
  32. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

33. cyby89

cyby89

Looks good! I like the design of the head.

34. Teila

Teila

I like it as well, although shouldn't a druid where a stag head or something found in Europe? That looks like a Bison head. Might be better for a Native American shaman. :) I would love a Stag head.

35. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

I was planing stag head for the female version. And that's actually a wisent head, I modeled long time ago for Zoo Tycoon 2.

Depending on the time I have I might add a stag head too, if not I'll make the one from the female pack available for male too.

36. Teila

Teila

Well, I learned something new!! I didn't even know there was a European bison. :) Thanks for the correction. In that case, it is wonderful!

37. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

It was a kinda iconic animal here in Romania in medieval age, so that's why i chose it :)

38. hopeful

hopeful

I agree, the design looks like it could work for a Native American model ... which is nice. There's not a ton in the store to represent that culture yet.

39. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Well everyone's free to use it as whatever they think will work best

I think it will look even better with some warpaint. Or maybe a big scar..

40. Teila

Teila

It is very cool, actually. If there were a decent bison model around I would buy this outfit in a heartbeat! :) That way I would have an animal to use to make the skin. That is one good thing with the stag..there are plenty out there. The only bison I see on the asset store has odd looking eyes. :)

I have druid-like options in our game so this would be nice if we had the animal, but rather odd without it.

You might consider fitting the stag to the male as well. :)

hopeful likes this.
  41. hopeful

hopeful

Arteria3d has a low poly bison with an okay texture, but IMO the head isn't great.

I second the idea of unisex animal heads. Wolf would be good too. :)

42. Teila

Teila

I have a lifetime membership there...and have never found anything worth using. Thanks for the info though.

43. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Different texture sets:

44. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Deer Head ready:

45. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

46. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

I'm loving these historical sets! For the viking though, any chance of a version where the helmet does not have horns? Those are, unfortunately, a historical fallacy :)

I'll be keeping my eyes on these assets for whenever I get that epic viking game started :)

47. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Glad you like them. I made several helmet variations for a future update, but none without horns so far. I might add one though.

carsenk likes this.
  48. boysenberry

boysenberry

Any plans on upgrading your UMA Male Druid to UMA2? You mention it in the bundle, which is why I ask.

cmckelvy likes this.