Search Unity

Slender -- Beta 0.9

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AgentParsec, Jun 27, 2012.

1. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Aaaaand despite checking through dropbox's FAQ's carefully, they shut down the downloads due to excessive traffic. I need a new download site that will actually work (mediafire, 4shared and dropbox are all out).

2. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

You could always use torrent format, it isn't illegal since its your own work and not anyone else's

3. Csubi

Csubi

Hmm, read the patchnotes, hopefully it will make my fps issues disappear. If so, Slenderman might scare the hell out of me this night. :D

4. XavLar

XavLar

Haha I love this game! I got my friend to play this game, but he wanted me to stay in the same room because he felt so scared (after I told him a random story about Slender :p) I have the video here if you would like to watch :p

The final reaction is near 9:55, but there are some really funny parts (worth watching) throughout the video:

(Warning: This video does contain some swearing)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Okay, updated main page with links to a rapidshare download of v0.9.5

6. Duskling

Duskling

Great job man. Really great.

Can I please make some suggestions?

First off, like everyone is saying, you should cash in on this. But don't rush it.

I suggest first making some visual enhancements. Graphics dont make gameplay but it would add to the feel of horror if it looked like an actual forest.

You should use beast and lightmap everything. Also bake ambient occlusion. Also, I would suggest getting some more hi res terrain textures ( such as the ground, trees, and the grass ) and you should change up the trees a bit maybe.

I also suggest making the character pant like crazy when slender is in sight or when he/she is being chased.

Great work so far though.

7. Csubi

Csubi

Weird, still low fps (something like 1-5) with 9.5, and I don't know why. I tried again at every settings, resolution, windowed and fullscreen, but still runs bad. I checked at Task manager, it doesn't consume more than 250-300MB of RAM and 50-60% of CPU. I set its priority to above average, checked affinity with either of CPUs and with both cores enabled, but same. Settings are low, but checked on others as well, nothing helps :/ And this is really weird, I mean I'm playing new games on medium or low settings but they run fine usually. I don't know what else to do (Started as adminstrator, XP compatible mode, etc, nothing helps). HDD is not fragmented, drivers are updated (unless I need some other kind of driver I don't know of... or other programs like Java or stuff, but they are up-to-date too).

So still, weird and I can't figure out what the issue can be (I turned off fog ingame and reduced tree distance too).

8. The Ghost

The Ghost

9. pivotraze

pivotraze

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. Marrt

Marrt

I've downloaded this game a month ago, i didn't liked the idea in the first place but now i see it's all about the thrill and it worked out perfectly!

Question: are you going to implement
    -camera-movement as you walk
    -flashlight-movement-noise
    -and a smoother blurred look when you rotate the camera that is more in the meaning of real head movement?

for me that would add some dramatic :D

-hell, you could even do that crazy fov/zoomin effect when you see slender men, you know increasing fov while moving the camera forward so the background would shrink while slenderman would grow
    *edit: found examples, its called dolly zoom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vm54QL8iZc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHA2OiopiZ8
    (to maintain object size you have to calculate the camera distance factor = 1/tan(fov/2) )

but that plain "he's just standing there" feeling would take a hit from that effect, so don't consider it

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  11. Chris Raleigh

Chris Raleigh

Hello, I have played Slender several times, and I have a couple of suggestions:

First, the fog should get thicker as the level (from collecting pages) increases. At level 0 (when you start the game), there shouldn't be any fog at all (so it looks the same as turning fog off). Once you reach level 1, the fog appears, but it's just barely visible. By level 7, the fog reaches its full thickness. At level 8 (when you collect all pages), the fog quickly vanishes. With this dynamic fog, it will look like the entire forest, not just Slender Man, is turning against you as you get further along.

Second, while you have the adrenaline rush from seeing Slender Man (which lets you sprint), the screen should become sharper (sharper edges against visible objects and details, etc.). This can help simulate real life adrenaline rushes.

Good luck on Slender!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  12. Duskling

Duskling

It's too late. You can't capatalize on this nearly as well now.

People are already making a version of this game in the source engine and it sounds very promising. Free, multiplayer, and it looks nice too.

You should have acted earlier on doing something with this, Its a shame to see the potential of the project somewhat wasted.

Nothing personal, you did a great job with the game.

http://kotaku.com/5929402/theres-a-..._source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. PoopSock

PoopSock

This lag is depressing I'm getting maybe 7fps not just on the startup either but the entire time, with some seemingly random blips of 60fps when I turn my head reeeealy quickly.
    I've read through the whole forum and I know you already have been hearing alot about it :p and I am dying to play this game. It's funny though how some people can and others can't play the game peacefully regardless of their "comp spec's being good enough". The game seems decently simple concerning the graphics and game-play so even for the people who are saying their computers aren't all that great, I play the Witcher 2 on full specs on my computer and cannot get Slender to run happily either. But like we already know, some people can play w/o lag and others can't, I feel like everyone who is having problems might have something in common and that it's not just your game. Idk it's an idea, helpful to you or not.

Besides all that the game looks great, I've tried playing all versions (still laging D,: but whatever) and I think you've been doing a great job like the fog addition, GREAT IDEA. Even not being able to play it made the game feel so much more creepy and it fits the environment. I just wanted to make a suggestion as many others have, I mean ideas can't hurt right?
    I think you should add some more things that Slenderman does before you get face raped. Like maybe turning his head slowly to look at you and some moaning or growling by his part. And I don't think he should just stand there, I like the teleporting idea where as he can be anywhere at anytime but I think if he see's the light from your flashlight (even though he has no eyes :p) he should chase you. People love the chase, it's the fact that you're just F***ing praying that you will live and not get eaten alive. For the chase and the way he acts though I feel like you should style it like the gatherer's from Amnesia (most common guys). I think it would be more fun and scarier if you looked at him your guy would freak out and then Slenderman would look at you and then begin the chase. You could give him a low line of sight to make it less likely that you will die everytime you encounter him, that away you could just sprint far enough away to hide behind some trees in the darkness and he can pass by w/o notice. Also if you get caught / die I think the ending animation is... okay at best. No offense I'm sure all this programing and game making stuff is quite hard and a long process :) glhf haha. But I believe the ending should be more abrupt and involving you visually seeing him grab you and maybe getting up in your face and roaring at you like some kind of demon(maybe he can have a face if you have alot of future plans for this game, idk just make it freaky) instead of it just showing some staticy picture. Hope you take some of my suggestions into thought, best wishes on this game.

14. Marrt

Marrt

15. The Ghost

The Ghost

So they stole your game? That sucks man, you didn't have it copyrighted? I would suggest writing letter to them anyway.

16. Blacklight

Blacklight

If there's a way to completely kill the atmosphere of a game, its multiplayer.

17. tigerija

tigerija

18. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I agree. And no, I didn't know about this project...

19. Eclypse

Eclypse

Hello,

Firstly, wonderful game. I am officially horrified :S

Secondly, I'd like to suggest a realistic change to the flashlight lowering while sprinting. I run frequently (read: every day), and sometimes in the winter when the days are shorter, I bring a small flashlight with me to watch for ice. I think pretty much any person is able to run/jog with a flashlight without lowering it as much as in the game, but I understand why you made it so as far as balance is concerned.

Anyway my suggestion is that when the player is jogging with the flashlight on, have it bob up and down across the screen (i.e. from the lower-left area to the upper-right area, while never staying still near the center). This is what happens when I run with a flashlight.

This would probably make it more frightening as well, since if the player happens to be jogging right towards Slender Man, they would only get a glimpse of it as the flashlight swung across the screen ._.

20. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

I think he still has a chance, have you seen the amount of attention this game =has brought up (extremely gelous here =D). If you look at any of the popular or otherwise known and youtube celebrities, or top videogame players they are just about all doing playthroughs of this game, not to mention even achievement hunter has played it. Just the fact that he was the first to make it means he has a shot, if he can polish his game quickly (keep it singleplayer too) then he could be on the top and stay on the top for quite some time.

21. deepsea

deepsea

I played 0.9.5 version. I can see you add new fog effect to this game. But this effect make fps drop down about 10-20fps (on my PC) . I think you should make more option for fog effect like low, medium or high not only just on or off. This should be better. There is too much fog.

And i don't know why but the flashlight doesn't swings when point at a nearby page when close enough to pick it up like changelog show. This is a bug?

22. NomadKing

NomadKing

I'm not sure it is too late for AgentParsec to make something more of this - that source version simply looks like they are copying the gameplay that you already did and adding some pointless extra features (Multiplayer!). Treat what you've done already (and what they are cloning) as simply a demo and evolve the concept further - new levels, plot, whatever you feel will make a better single player experience.

I certainly wouldn't look at this source version as the end of the world. Once your game was out there and downloadable for free anyway there was very little you could do to monetize it, but you did gain some great publicity, and an 'easy-in' with various games journalists/sites for if you take the game further. That's a pretty big win :)

PS: Played it. Got scared and lost a lot. Sucked at finding pages. Loved it!

23. jamieo01

jamieo01

How could he copyright an idea he didn't create?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Food is everything(except if your an ideot *sigh* )

seriously how could you say that?!?! you don't think indie devs have to eat you moron?

25. jamieo01

jamieo01

I think you are misunderstanding what he means.

26. Christiaan

Christiaan

It almost seems like people have no creativity these days, stealing ideas is just sad, i mean the fun and the best way to make money is coming with new fresh ideas like you did when you realesed your game,but anyhow, your game is still very impressive, very jeaulous of the attention your game has gotten :),

27. HolBol

HolBol

That says it all.

I'm not sure whether that was sarcasm or not.

28. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Ok, what I've decided is that I need to make a polished version of the game, and release it on Steam or some such, as a commercial release. But I will DEFINITELY need help. Professional help, not free help.

29. wmgcata

wmgcata

Send me a Pm, do you got Skype?

30. Duskling

Duskling

Awesome.

What kind of help? Programming, Art? I am certainly not 'Professional', but I know what I am doing with programming.

31. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Both. If this is going to be improved, I need to find better ways to do all the stuff I've currently got. I am certain there are easier and more efficient ways to do it all. On the list of things that need improvement are:

1. SM's movement only works if the playfield is flat; I need to find a way for it to work with varied terrain heights or different floors of a building.
    2. The test to see if SM is visible uses only a few raycasts aimed at key spots, and it only works if the objects in the way are largely vertical. If the terrain height changes or the objects become more complex, it will no longer work properly.
    3. All the free Unity textures need to be replaced, and landmarks may need to be updated. New landmarks that take advantage of height changes also need to be considered.
    4. Some sort of random map generator that assembles parts of the woods through prefabs would be ideal, but is not required.
    5. I could never get head bobbing to work right.

I'll probably use Kickstarter for funding, as long as the people who join the project are serious about completing it and doing a professional job.

32. Duskling

Duskling

I would LOVE to help you out programming this. I can do all of the above issues you are having, and more. Please contact me if you are interested.

33. wmgcata

wmgcata

A tip for the head bobbing, there's some free script on the unitycommunity that's written in C# to get head/camera bobbing. Type in in google : Unity3d headbobbing and you'll find it.

One less issue, thank me later ;-)

34. pivotraze

pivotraze

I showed him that one, albeit converted to Boo by me, but that exact script, he said, conflicts with other scripts he has to put on his camera.

35. videogamzlover

videogamzlover

personally i think you should contact the slender: source dev team and ask if they can put in a single player mode too. the player should have the option to play alone or with friends but if the game is just single player or just multiplayer it'd be dumb. or keep your current single player game slender and make it better, and have slender: source be for people who want a friend or 3 to play with them.
    seems pretty simple to me

36. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I've contacted them, and I think we've come to an understanding that it's two different games. I said that I'm okay with them making a multiplayer game inspired by Slender, as long as they're not actually using the name 'Slender' as the game title.

I mean, there were a million Minecraft rip-offs on XBLA before the actual Minecraft XBLA edition was released, and it still sold like 2 million copies. I'm not really that worried about a source mod.

That said, we should probably get moving on the polished version of Slender.

37. bryanrtr

bryanrtr

First of all I'd like to tell you that I really enjoyed this game, it's nice to have a good scary game while I wait for Amnesia 2. I really can't wait for a big polished version of this game, if you go kickstarter I'd be happy to help you.
    That being said it would be nice if there was a big wishlist with ALL the things that would be nice to have in the game/should be improved. You could update this with some notes about the priority of the feature and it's current development status. I do understand though that you might not want to do this.

Also I'd like to see these (in the far future):
    - more and different note art
    - different terrain heights
    - different level types (forest, farm, village)

38. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Take a look at the project I'm doing it's in the "Apocalypse Not" thread. I've already got something that randomly generates prefabs and I can help with 1,2,4, and 5. PM me if you would like some help.

39. Dark knight

Dark knight

I played it (at least, i tried... it's pretty much nerve breaking...) There is potential for a nice little horror gem here. The concept should stay as basic as it is, not making it too complicated (easiest to polish then i believe), and instead, perhaps giving it a high replayability value by putting perhaps 'random level' at each new game or feature like that and for the rest well, you are the creator, you do as you like...

Oh and yeah, a more animated menu.... XD

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  40. ElixirPotion

ElixirPotion

I tried playing this on two of my computers and it lagged on both.
    One having 1gb ram, the other having 3gb ram.
    They have decent processors and I play other unity3d games like Critical Strike Portable on them both without a problem.

Do you think you could create a lower detail option?

41. tigerija

tigerija

If you want commercial version then think about copyright. Because seems like those team doing it in valve as mod is damaging you already.
    They are basically cloning your game. Its ok to clone idea but not whole art and game.

Tho I am also not against letting people clone open source or free games. But seems like Parsec is trying to achieve something.
    So maybe send them nice email. Maybe you can also collaborate with them.

Same happened with Dota.

Some guys made mod for Wc3. Valve copyrighted DotA.

EDIT: I see that you already did what I suggested few posts above.. Not sure if that article on that website says Slender multiplayer in Source engine or it says Slender inspired game...

42. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Parsec didn't create slender man so he can't copyright the character. And as long as the people are creating the game themselves without stealing anything then the concept can't be copyrighted either.

43. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Here's a script for head bob. It doesn't directly set the camera position (just add subtract from it), so it's less likely to conflict with anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  44. john-essy

john-essy

45. Sornelo

Sornelo

Here's a script that can test the visibility of an object. Just add the component to your camera, then add the object you're testing for to the "Target" property. You'll want to add the object you're testing for to the "Ignore Raycast" layer or add a layer mask to the linecasts.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attached Files:

46. Duskling

Duskling

Hey Parsec, I'm still waiting for you to contact me back in regards to your previous message.

47. Csubi

Csubi

Hmm, I have same issue, I mean, I don't have that game but I can run much higher system requirements game good. Someone also mentioned having same issue, he can play Witcher 2 without any problems, but Slender runs bad. I'd have said it's a CPU issue, but not sure anymore.:confused:

48. Duskling

Duskling

My guess is the code just isn't optimized the best. Hopefully I can help out Parsec on fixing this.

49. TehWut

TehWut

Do you mean private message? It seems like sometimes PM's don't always go through, or maybe he's just ignoring me ;)

lolnoproblems Parsec, just trying to go through with this modeling gig!

50. CovertHoax

CovertHoax

Not being funny or anything but I really thing the steam devs need to back off with their version of the game.
    I know you have both gotten to the understanding that the games will be "Different" and that they cant call it Slender, but there were a few things that I saw that really got under my skin, not sure if you or your fans will feel the same way here.

I checked out their site, and, well..
    *sigh*

The first thing I looked at was plot.
    I was wondering how they were going to make this game different from yours and yet keep the Slenderman in it and the horror feeling that you are supposed to get. This is what I read.

So what we have in their version is:
    4 "kids" in a "wood" left to "Collect 15 dolls without being caught by the slender man..."

That's funny because in this version:
    1 "kid" in a "wood" left to "Collect 8 pages" without being caught by the slender man..."

:(

Seriously.. they could have changed it slightly like, your in a broken down building and the power cuts out at the start. then the aim is to hunt for a repair kit and patch up the broken fuses in the basement to turn the lights back on thus making slenderman unable to be inside the now lit building.. sure you still have to walk about and do things in locations but at least its slightly different.. what they have done is almost identical.
    Pages are now dolls.. and 8 now = 15.. *Sigh*

So now after looking at the plot and realizing it is basically the same.. I check out screen shots..
    and low and behold.. I almost cry with laughter..

http://www.moddb.com/mods/slender-source/images/slenderman#imagebox

That page above shows screen shots of their version of the game.
    One of the screen shots is of a page with "See Me" and a few circles with crosses through then.
    Almost the same and the no eyes ones in your game.

Then when you check out the slenderman in the woods screen shot its basically the same as your's but with less trees and currently worse graphics.

I really hope you get the help you need in making this game a success..
    I am more than happy for you to use any of the ideas I have previously posted along with others in "Your version" of the game free of charge of cause ^_^

In all honestly I have thousands of Ideas for your game so I may PM you them one day if you get a good team to handle the work load.. its up to you what ideas you would like of cause :p
    I just want to see your game become a top rated game and not ripped off..

Keep your spirits up, and dont let this knock off get to you.

Brilliant stuff..

Previous ideas:
    Also I saw that in 0.9.5 that there is a assigned map button, but the map never seemed to show up :S