Search Unity

SkyKittens : The Kings of the Meowtains - An Aerial Combat Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by seanybaby2, Jun 3, 2014.

1. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

About Our Project
    Hello fellow unity devs! I wanted to share with the unity community a game myself and a few other talented developers are working on over the summer and hopefully throughout the year next year as well. I'll be sharing a dedicated development blog here and eventually on our website too. I hope to teach the community a little bit about what were doing, as well as how were doing it, and hopefully even build a little bit of excitement for our game while its being done. So please feel free to ask any questions about our development process as we work. By the end of the summer our team will look to greenlight and kickstart the game, and will need your help and support to make that happen!

Our Facebook and Twitter Pages
    https://www.facebook.com/skykittensgame
    https://twitter.com/SkyKittensGame

Concept art for our ships: Note that we have now decided to move to actual flying sea ships without the massive blimp balloons. We felt that the blimp balloons took a lot away from the ship visually while looking at the ship from a top down perspective. One of our primary camera angles.

Original Poster Art
    SkyKittens.jpg

Original Prototype Video for game: Note that the game is going to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, but this should give you a general idea about the type of game we are trying to build.

Milk Bar Concept Art
    milk bar.jpg

A little bit more about our game.

Features
    Our game will feature 3 to 6 different ships they can choose from at the start of the game. More ships will become unlock-able as players progress.

Players will have various upgrades they can select from throughout the game, upgrading your ship will be a primary component for the game.

The game will also feature co-op and versus modes! But campaign mode is intended to be the primary game mode.

There will be numerous levels to play through as well as multiple environments. A bird world, dog world and squirrel world. NOTE: The last one may change....

There will be a third person mode as well as a ship mode, so players can actually disembark, visit towns and of-course raid enemy ships!

SkyKittens will feature completely original soundtracks created by our own in house developers, whom have extensive experience creating tracks.

Story
    We feel that story is a very important component for our game. We believe that playing as "sky-kittens" gives us a great opportunity to create a hilarious and entertaining story for our players. We have a dedicated creative writer working with us as well as some voice actors will be using for our game. We hope that we can deliver a tale that will be both fun and hilarious :)

In a nutshell you play as a frisky, lively yet goodhearted cat pirate. After the flooding of his beloved cat kingdom with no where left to go, him and his sully cat crew took to the skies! And now they are ambitiously attempting to take back a kingdom for their cat brethren all the while looting and plundering everything they can along the way!

More info on the story soon to come.

In Conclusion
    We will be posting here on a regular basis with constant updates! Will be presenting art, coding, modeling and design stuff here a well. So follow us for updates. And feel free to ask us any questions as we develop, and lend us suggestions for our game as well! Anyways we hope this posts interests you. Stay kitten awesome!

"One Dream, One Team"
    -Meow 2014

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Samuel411

Samuel411

Reminds me of Guns of Icarus. Looks really nice and you should consider adding something that will separate it from looking like a clone. But looks really good.

3. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Yes... I'm glad you mentioned this. We actually started developing our project before we had ever even heard of Guns of Icarus and now that we have seen it, it is scarily similar to what we are trying to achieve. We will definitely want to do what we can to separate ourselves from them though. I haven't played through Guns of Icarus yet but I will do so soon to make sure that our goal is plenty different from what they created.

I know that for starters, in our game the player doesn't really ride around on the same ship as your friends and you control the ship on more global perspective, rather then controlling one part of the ship at a time... but again I need to playtest Guns of Icarus to get a better idea of what there game is like and make sure we are taking on a different approach. I've only seen a few videos of gameplay from it and need to actually play it.

Thanks for the comment though!

4. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

Hey how it going unity devs! I wanted to show you guys a couple programming updates for our game :) If you have any questions on how any of it was done feel free to comment below or on our youtube channel. Note that the assets I'm using are obviously just placeholders for environment testing :)

AI and Navmesh Updates

Fluid Camera Control Updates

5. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

So we have been practicing how to learn world machine and integrate those terrains with unity and so far it looks pretty awesome! Check out the video below for more info, if you have any questions on how were doing anything, feel free to ask :)

6. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

So one of the big updates we are moving towards is creating our game as a roguelike. And because our game is becoming more of a roguelike having randomized levels is huge! So we have gone ahead and starting working on that, check out how we do some randomized tiled level below :)

7. seanybaby2

seanybaby2