Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics [HDRP-UPR ✅] Sky Master ULTIMATE-Physical skybox-Volume clouds-Weather FX-Ocean-Realtime GI-Mobile

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master is coming soon at the store, the pack should be out this week if all goes well with the review.

A sample at various times of day

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I was just looking at some Skyrim pics and the mountain clouds look very cool, so i will also create a volumetric arrangement to fit well around mountains and provide a sample in the next update. A demo will come before release as well.

Features planned for the next update:

- Volumetric clouds will have local shadow, rain and lightning systems
    - More detailed lightning effect, with smaller line rendered based emissions from thecurrent effect
    - Shader based flat cloud bed dome, to emulate flat clouds without (or together with) particles
    - Many more options in volumetric cloud formations, more variance in shaping, motion and dynamics
    - More control options for fog
    - Option to have two suns at the same time
    - Dynamic Light beams with occlusion for other light sources besides the sun.
    - Mountain adjusted volumetric clouds, for Skyrim like effect
    - Mobile friendly and realism focused prefabs of the sky system, together with new texture packs and shaders

Also please let me know if there are other features you would like to see in the pack.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

The pack has received some new updates, though the review is not done yet. This time i will not re-submit since it seems re-submitting may reset the review timer and that is why it has taken so long to review after the initial submission in the 17th of November and some resubmissions after that.

I have sent an email for support on this just in case the submission was not registered or something else is wrong and hopefully it will come this week, the last submission was done on Monday.

The good news is that the pack has been tested extensively in my game, so will be much more polished and feature full when released.

Since the new updates pack some important changes to how fog changes with time of day, i would suggest to start using the system for production after the v1.2.4 version has been released, i will submit it as soon as the current v1.2.3 one has been reviewed.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A few more adjustements have been made to the fog and ambient lighting and will be released with v1.2.4, which will be submitted after v1.2.3 has passed review.

Also if the review does pass this week, i plan to have an offer for the first four customers that will get the Advanced FX Creator pack at the 25th of Dec with a free voucher for Sky Master.

If the pack does not pass review until the 25th, the offer will be moved to sometime early next year.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

The next update is ready as well (v1.2.4) and brings some more features and upgrades to the fog transition system, the new version will be submitted today. If you want the update before the store review, email the invoice and i will send a dropbox link with v1.2.4 of the pack.

This initial release is the "ULTIMATE" version at the price of the core, and includes both PDM special effects and GI Proxy pack, so it is a very big introductory offer, for a limited time.

Grab it today for only 50% of the final price !!!!

Enjoy :)

Demos:
    Attrium Demo
    Weather demo
    Volumetric Clouds from Ground
    Volumetric clouds fly through

xgelite likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The v1.2.4 of the pack has been submitted and pending review at the store.

It contains a few enchancements and changes to the fog handling.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. Jaqal

Jaqal

Man great work. I'm going to have to give this one a shot. Unistorm is just so ugly anymore.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system is going to get many updates until it is perfected, since it is a collection of many complex systems and more systems and shaders are going to come at next updates, like a shader based cloud dome for flat clouds (now particles are used), which is almost done and much more options in volumetric cloud formations and motion.

Also volumetric clouds will get proper shadows, rain etc per cloud.

I would love to see suggestions on what else could go in or need to be addressed too.

Some things to consider

- this version has an issue with fog transition speed (sometimes gets too slow), v1.2.4 which was submitted today address that and does some other minor fixes like the cloud dome color at day time etc
    - the sky parameters are fixed in code per season and time of day, but can be changed to any desirable set, the demo provides a setting/GUI to test most of the parameters
    - the prefab to use preferably is the one in "Version1.2" folder, it is the latest one and has the volumetric clouds and some fixes in sun/moon motion
    - GI setup is made for PC primarily, but can be adjusted for much faster performance with just a few lights, i will provide such a setup soon (already have the scene made, just not with the sky system)
    - Version 1.2 also provides a textured shader for the sky, which can have a cloud texture applied for extra blend effect.
    - The volumetric clouds have a system integrated that allows refeshing the clouds from a starting point, it will destroy the clouds when they reach a defined threshold in the script and regrow them with a new script (by instantiating itself). The setup for this feature is provided in the Fly Through clouds demo.
    - The terrain and tree materials must have certain properties in order to be automatically changed by the system based on season. Sample shaders are provided. Trees must also have a special tag. The manual has more details on all the above.
    - The sky sphere is rather low poly for better performance. A more detailed sphere could also be used for more accurate results. Though the low polygon sphere creates some very cool layer like artistic effects at the lower sun angles, which is the reason why i will probably be using that for my project :)
    - The volumetric clouds update rate is set low because i tested the system on slower machines like my laptop and plan to test on mobile, but it can easilly be set higher without much of an impact and the results will be smoother. v1.2.4 will have it set higher by default.

I will also look into integrating Sky Master with my new procedural tree system, so these trees can be affected by seasons in more than one ways.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Jaqal likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Some pics of the WIP of the shader based Flat Cloud Dome, for flat cloud bed, to be combined with the current particle based cloud bed.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I have started working on two new prefabs.

- A realistic one (slower moving clouds, less colorful textures, thiner rain drops etc)

- A mobile friendly one, with GI adjusted to use very few resources, and clouds as optimized s possible to still look good

I am also doing some tests on the volumetric cloud speed and it is amazingly fast, i will post results soon.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volume Clouds speed test, take only 1 draw call and 15ms in my ancient laptop :)

Magic moment before sun goes down and strom kicks in

UPDATE:

Work in progress on the realistic version of the prefab with slower cloud motion etc,
    magic moment before sun goes down and strom kick in.

Since the promo material i have on the store is from v1.0, here is some videos from the latest v1.2.3.

I will post two more as i upload them

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric Haze video

Now i am working on a video with the new slower and more realistic cloud motion.

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

More volumetric cloud options, formations, motion modes and samples are incoming for the next update.

Also a small demontration video of what is possible with the artistic atmospheric scattering and sky rendering system.

The two sun mode and much more possibilities are currently in the works for the sky rendering.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Work in progress on the shader based flat parallaxed clould dome and the realistic prefab (storm kicks in to cover the last sun light)

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

A WIP demo for the upcoming v1.2.5 more realistic approach prefab. The demo also has integraded the volumetric cloud system controls, to play with in an actual environment.

Sky Master WIP demo for v.1.2.5
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/1/WEB DEMO 2.html

Cloud fly through demo (v1.2.4):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/1/SKY MASTER 1.2 DEMO FLYTHROUGH.html

There are many more systems and optimizations that will go in the demo until release.

Also dont forget to pick the pack while it is still at half price and leave a review to help the pack grow faster !

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Some of the features I am currently working on.

Features planned for the next update(s):

- Volumetric clouds will have local shadows, rain and lightning systems
    - More detailed lightning effect, with smaller line rendered based emissions from the current effect
    - Shader based flat cloud bed dome, to emulate flat clouds without (or together with) particles
    - More control options for fog
    - Option to have two suns at the same time
    - Dynamic Light beams with occlusion for other light sources besides the sun.
    - Mountain adjusted volumetric clouds, for Skyrim like effect
    - Mobile friendly and realism focused prefabs of the sky system, together with new texture packs and shaders
    - Many more options in volumetric cloud formations, more variance in shaping, motion and dynamics
    - Tsunami effect and more tornado styles
    - Fire propagation sample
    - Integration with the upcoming InfniTREE, for easier season control of forests

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

As i was working on the more realistic prefab, i found out that the clouds can actually look as good with a lot less particles, so the new prefab will be a lot more optimized without comprimise to the cloud look !!!

The particle count can be changed in the particle system that is connected to the volumetric clouds, so it is easy to lower in the current version as well, for better perfrormance.

I also post some of the sky rendering options, that can be achieved with the system, i will finally create a PDF catalog with the various sky looks and the settings to use.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the WIP of the new SkyMaster Setup Guide, that will contain a summary of all systems for reference and setup steps for use of the system in new scenes. The details on the most advanced systems (like the ice painting/propagation etc) are described in detail in the manual.

Sky Master Setup GUIDE

Please let me know if the guide is going in the right way and what else could or should be changed/added.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP in the new volumetric cloud motion and formation features, plus artstic effects.

There will be various modes of inner cloud motion, depending on performance and quality ratio.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The one draw call volumetric clouds now have shadows attached. The shadows will have two modes, the standard that allows shadows directly under the cloud and the advanced, that will take a few more calculations and define the shadows based on the sun position, for extra accuracy.

The 2ond mode is still WIP. Also I am evaluating more techiniques for the shadows, for even more options.

The same system can also instantiate rain etc systems per cloud.

The global turbulent differential cloud motion is also in an advanced state and 2 of the tree methods are ready and working.

Demos for both systems will arrive be fore release.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Pic of the 2ond type of lightning that will come in the next update, the shader and details are WIP. A 3rd type is also in the works that will be a mix of procedural and the 2ond type.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Progress on the mobile prefab.

The new prefab has been tested on a samsung galaxy s3 (roughly equal to an iPhone 4s) and the results so far are great. The "sunny" mode that includes the sky rendering with all effects (halo, moon etc) + the one draw call volumetric clouds (looking from ground) + mesh terrain (very complex - not yet optimized) + tree and butterflies was at 60fps !!! with spikes to 40fps.

The system can receive a huge ammount of extra optimizations, which is the current WIP, with the goal to run on mid to high end mobiles, looking almost as stunning as on desktop (of course a phone will never look exactly like on desktop for obvious reasons)

In the end a complete set of new textures, sky shader etc will be provided, specifically for mobile application.

I will post the steps finished here

- Terrain has been optimized from 35000 to around 4000 faces and is now an OBJ file that can be used in any project.

- Sky Rendering shader has been further optimized for mobile, to sqeeze every little bit that was possible.

- Lightning has been optimized to use less particles and the rate in heavy storm has been lowered so two lightnings are less likely to overlap.

- Cloud textures have been optimized in resolution to better fit the mobile uses.

- Trees textures and models have been further optimized to better suit mobile

- Lighting mode in lightning has been optimized per case

- Integrated volumetric cloud controls in the main demo.

Next step: Create all kinds of new motion options in the demo GUI

For anyone that wants to test this new upcoming prefab in an APK file for Android, please send me an email at artengame@yahoo.com or a PM here

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

More on the mobile version

- Changed most cloud shaders to mobile friendly and tweaked for best visual quality. Added new custom shaders when needed.

- Changed shader handling for mobile case when color tint is not supported. The main script now has a "Mobile" toggle to allow control of clouds for non.

- Updated cloud textures to best fit the new shaders.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Terrain volumetric scattered fog, Android demo scene (on PC), SM2.0 shader, with correct sun shadowing.

UPDATE:

The new big feature of Sky Master, atmospheric scattering & fog on terrain, is now working and is integrated in the system, it needs some usability and editor related tweaking and the the artistic touch to enable as many options as possible for changing its parameters. The system works for mesh terrain for now, but i have the code to integrate it to the Unity terrain as well (from my height fog shader work), will need some extra work for that.

The new modes for volumetric cloud motion are also finished and working great, now clouds can have more realistic motion and turbulence. Plus i have added more tetxure options, to enable more artistic or more realistic effects than the current one.

The shader is SM2.0, so it should work on mobile as well. As with everything else, this is also working in Unity Free !!!

Other things i am working on is a shader based cloud bed/dome, which is also going well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Uniform height fog (and toon) Unity Terrain shader

Work in progress on bringing the scatter fog shader to Unity Terrain.

The first phase of controlling the terrain is done and i have a sample height fog shader working (with a toon option).

The next step is to combine the fog shader for the mesh terrain (post above) and this one that handles Unity terrain.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric fog shader for Unity terrain

UPDATE:

The new volumetric fog for terrain is now working in both mesh and Unity terrains and is tweaked for the final release.

This new system, along with the various updates to volumetric clouds and prefabs will come in the next update of Sky Master (v1.5)

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some notes on the Unity 5 compatibility study.

I have started looking at ways that i could support Unity 5, even though i dont yet own it.

One thought is to allow a way to grab the sky color, through a raycast or directly from the shader.

There is one big question, whether i can sample colors directly from the shader. For example if i could provide two extra marameters, one would be the sample ray direction and the other would be used as an output from the shader. Then i would use the direction with an if statement in the fragment shader (when this fragment is caclulated) and return in the other output parameter the color. Then a script would do a sweep at each frame, using directions along the whole dome.

Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Thanks for any help in advance, in bringing Unity 5 support for Sky Master.

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The demo for the new volumetric atmsopheric scattering is almost done and will be released soon.

Also i am working on a winter shader that will enable more accurate snow coverage in winter. This is planned for the update after v1.5 is released.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note on using Sky Master ULTIMATE with Unity 5

There have been some changes in the collision coding, so one of the files (the collision handler) will not work out of the box. I can send a hotfix file for anyone interested and work around it. The issue is only happening in one specific file that handles collisions.

I will add the script as a zip file in the next update, to easilly replace if using Unity 5.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Great news, as i now have access to Unity 5 !!!
    as a developer until Unity 5 officially comes out, so new cool features will come based on that.

One thing planned is adjusted sub beams for Untiy Pro, to match the day cycle. I can also now more easilly access a solution for Unity 5 ambient lighting and global illumination integration.

This is new territory for me, so will take some time to offer the Unity 5 specifics, but having Unity 5 is a great start :)

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a quick fix for Unity 5. Applies to Sky Master ULTIMATE version.This changed file will also be available in the next pack update, in a package form.

Quick fix for ParticleCollisionsSKYMASTER.cs(in SkyMaster/Scripts/ParticleDynamics folder)

I think the line10 issue should be resolved automatically upon importing the script, but i am not sure.

Change:
    Code (csharp):
    1. L10   p11 = this.gameObject.particleSystem;
    2. to
    3. L10   p11 = GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
    6. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[1][];
    7. to
    8. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleCollisionEvent[1][];
    11. L38   private ParticleSystem.ParticleCollisionEvent[][] collisionEvents;
    12. to
    13. L38   private ParticleCollisionEvent [][] collisionEvents;
    16. L207 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[p11.safeCollisionEventSize];
    17. to
    18. L207 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleCollisionEvent[ParticlePhysicsExtensions.GetSafeCollisionEventSize(p11)];
    According to the Unity Beta release log: ParticleSystem.safeCollisionEventSize changed to ParticleSystem.GetSafeCollisionEventSize().

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

Mobile version, using only one light

PC version, using a light grid

Two videos i made that showcases GI Proxy (Sky Master ULTIMATE) color grab feature in real time.

The behavior is completly customizable as well, using various timings for the lerp between the previous and current color etc

All GI Proxy features work in both Unity Free & Pro and do not need any pre-processing.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

UNITY 5 Sky Shader as Skybox !!!!

UPDATE:

Full Unity 5 support is on the way for Sky Master !!!

I have managed to merge the Unity 5 Skybox shader with the Sky Master physically based sky and i am close to having the full system working with the rendering as Skybox, which will offer full compatibility with Unity 5 sky and Global Illumination (i suppose, since these inherit from the skybox shader from what i gather automatically)

This approach is completly shader based as well, there is no dome so there is no need for extra calculations for the GI etc

A huge thanks to the Unity team that made Unity5 available to asset developers, that move was so amazing :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Besides the mesh and terrain scatter fog shaders, i also plan two more things, which will come in a next update

- Scatter shading for grass, leaves and integration with InfiniTREE endless grass and trees systems. InfiniTREE is ideal for this kind of shading, since it can be fully controlled to be assigned a proper shader at distance. A special shader will be written for both InfiniGRASS and InfiniTREE modules and will offer full scatter fog in Unity Free, when used with Sky Master.

- Integration with my ocean system. The new Ocean in Toon Effects Maker can have lighting based on the atmosphere, for a realistic version of the effect and would be cool to use it together with Sky Master. So the plan is to create a realistic version and then offer a special shader in Sky Master that will make it even cooler, using the information from the atmoshpere in the shading.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Getting closer to finilizing the Skybox shader, for complete Unity 5 integration.

This mode will not be using a dome, so will also offer maximum compatibility and performance when integrated to Unity 5.

My latop is very slow and the GI baking is taking forever though, so i will have some GI pics with skybox later :)

The dome will remain also as a solution, so it can offer effects like portals with different sky in each area. Using both Skybox and dome can lead to many cool effects with portals.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of the current progress in Unity 5 and skybox mode.

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more skybox pics

I will probably have this scene incuded in the pack for the Pro users, with the setup for ocean etc ready to use.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric Cloud test in Unity 5 and all rendering modes, the sytsem works great in all deferred and forward modes

Ortho camera

A note on the new skybox option

The new skybox shader is still SM2.0, so it can run on any device !!!!

Plus it seems to work fine with orthographics camera mode, so it is ideal for 2D games as well i suppose.

I am testing extensively the system in Unity 5 and everything seems to be working like a charm so far, the results are beyond stunning with the GI and since it is all shader based (SM2.0) and in skybox mode it offers complete compatibility and integration with Unity 5 and top performance

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nighttime emulation in the new skybox mode

I am also working on a shader mode that will offer atmospheric and heat haze effects directly in the skydome !!!

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

New videos in Unity 5

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

Shader work on the Artistic skybox mode, this version of the skybox shader will offer a number of unique effects like heat haze, sepia sky and much more

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

New demos with the two skybox shader varieties are ready, i will test them and post them asap.

The artistic effects shader is WIP (more options for fading the effect around the sun are still to be added)

The system will handle both skybox and dome at the same time, so it is possible to have two skies at any one time, for various effects.

45. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Those Unity 5 vidoes look great. Does it work with dynamic meshes. I noticed that the sphere was casting reflections so I am guessing it is a static baked object. Can the skybox shader light dynamic objects or only static ones ?

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new shader is completly skybox based, so it has every feature Unity 5 has when skybox is used. I am not sure, but if the IBL and GI in Unity 5 can be made to apply the skybox lighting in dynamic object, the new system should support this by default.

My laptop does not perform well with the RC3 of Unity 5 and gets stuck, so i cant do extensive testing yet, but i will have a look at the dynamic objects question, from Unity 5 side.

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics from the Unity 5 demo

The scene is also ready to be included in the pack. I will create a package that will add full Unity 5 support and sample scenes.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Scatter fog shader WIP, the integration to the main system is almost done and is beeing tweaked for each time of day.

49. DennG

DennG

Looking amazing!
    Keep up the good work.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot :)
    The next update is a massive one and with full Unity 5 support for even more epic scenes.

I am working around the clock for this release.

Also will be a lot more optimized, since the skybox shader does not need a dome and can have the sky rendering and volume clouds with only 2 draw calls.