Search Unity

Graphics [HDRP-UPR ✅] Sky Master ULTIMATE-Physical skybox-Volume clouds-Weather FX-Ocean-Realtime GI-Mobile

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master v2.1 is now up at the Unity Asset Store !!!!

New features:

- Dual sun support, with extra controls for the 2ond sun size and scattering
    - Steroscopic mode support, image effects update per left/right eye cameras and sample scene (requires Google Cardboard for Unity)
    - Gradient per fog preset, it is now possible to define a custom gradient to load from a deactivated GlobalFogSkyMaster image effect for each fog preset.
    - Planets scene, with new assets and a unique way to render/light planets using the volumetric fog and emissive materials. The planets are meant for a "from ground" view.

Fixes:

- Fixed sun displacement at game start at certain angles in editor, also limited the horizon factor to only in game use (will be zeroed when starting the game, also use zero in editor)
    - Fixed issue where the Refractive Rain would create a transparent rectangular artifact at deferred rendering above certain image effects (turned Z-Write off in shader).

2. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Holy cow Nasos. I disappear for a couple of weeks, and you've taken this tool into a bunch of different directions! Kudos. I love the accumulating snow idea. I wanted something like that, but thought it would be a bit much to ask from this tool. And the planets, very nice. Now you are tackling the missing U5 underwater environment, too. This is no longer just SkyMaster, it is becoming Environment Master. I can see this tool becoming a necessary part of every indie's kit. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Where do you find the time to do all of this, or do you have a basement full of captive elves, churning out code in the dark?

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

The captive elves is clearly the only answer :)

The snow, mud puddles, volume lit particles (SM2.0) and water droplets on screen are already done in their base and work great, but i will release after i have added some cool details like glitter and various blending methods for the coolest effect possible. The mud puddles may also be combined with the snow in a single master shader, so this system will take some time to deliver, but when it comes will be all kinds of spectacular i hope :) and integrated with the weather module as well.

I am also looking at various underwater methods, this is later down the line, but is certainly in the plans as would be cool to have a underwater view with the sky combined in a tidy whole.

Back to the Elf management now :)

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of the new features that are now also certain for v2.2

- Screen space rain drops (for emulating drops on a window or camera glass etc)
    - Gradual snow accumulation with local growth / melt option, for objects and Unity terrain
    - Volumetric lit particles, for cool smoke etc effects
    - Aurora effect
    - Mud / water puddles and shader

These systems are working great already and will be polished for a v.2.2 release. More features to be confirmed soon.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another feature has been added in the to do list, volumetric cloud shaping should allow precise control option for full control of the true volumetric clouds when required.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The Weather ULTIMATE, Configurator editor, parametric snow and mud shaders and rain streak shader are all in the making and most of the shaders are almost done.

These will be integrated in the weather and configurator modules, so it will be easy to add and control.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The snow and mud shaders have now been merged to a single shader that can transition from snow to mud and grass below and have adjustable water puddles with water level.

This will be a SM3.0 shader, and i will also provide a separate SM2.0 version of the snow and mud/water puddle shaders, for use in lower end systems.

8. toto2003

toto2003

hello nasos,
    i just bump into that cloud video , and find out very beautifull, was wondering how close we could use your cloud asset to reproduce that cloud shape.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I think this exact shape is hard to reproduce with particles, since it is created as a single noise based texture (is my guess at least).

If this supports fly through, would be something like what TrueSky does, which is extremely heavy for non DX11 systems.

If not and is texture based with planes, will not support fly through.

I am currently working on shaders that will emulate cloud extinction and scatter lighting, so getting something close to the above with Sky Master volume clouds will probaly be possible and in all systems (DX9 and DX11).

Making of the shaders is rather hard, so wont be very soon and timing depends a lot on sales and reviews, but i will try my best to bring a first version as soon as possible.

IndieAner3d likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Pic from the new volumetric cloud shader. A video will follow

This does not show yet the inner cloud motion or new cloud formation features, only the new lighting.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP for the new volume cloud shaders and formation options.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volume cloud new shaders WIP

Also new formations that emulate a thicker cloud bed, with vertical formations etc

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Another feature has been added, the new volumetric cloud formations will also allow a color shift depending on height, to grab the difference in cloud base and higher clouds.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Getting closer to the final snow / mud / water puddles and screen droplets look and features.

These will come to Sky Master ULTIMATE v2.2, with mesh (SM2.0 for snow, SM3.0 with snow, puddles & running water) and Unity terrain varieties.

This is one of the many upcoming features in v2.2 of the pack.

Video:

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The volumetric clouds module will get a smooth in/out functionality, which will in turn be also used in the new Weather ULTIMATE module.

The plan is to extend the main SkyMaster with all new Volumetric Cloud based weather transitions, that will handle the volumetric clouds and will be used by the Weather Scheduler to apply the effects.

So the steps to get there are:

1. Create new Volume Cloud in/out system (in addition to the current renew clouds system) that will be self contained and externally controllable.
    2. Create all new weather transitions (on demand) in the main Sky Master script, with new smooth sound and volume Cloud in/out options, use of the new snow and rain shaders etc for a total weather choices scheme, that will use every single Sky Master 2.2 feature for the perfect feeling.

3. Integrate this system in Weather ULTIMATE module, that will enable both scheduled and season based weather application.

4. Control and apply every option with the global configurator system.

Since #3 can be the most time consuming to get perfected, i may complete steps 1-2 and release a first configurator edition that wont apply weather scheduling and this will allow the release of v2.2 much sooner.

Then i will focus on the #3 step and extend #4 step configurator with it for v2.3. At that point i may also start adding gameplay related features and Playmaker actions.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Smooth fade in and height based coloration of clouds is now finilized and smooth out is 99% ready as well and beeing polished.

Smooth out can be followed by a smoothin as well, for any kind of special cloud motion / extinction effects.

The new scatter shader got some extre features, like integration with Unity fog and extra optimizations and also has a motion in shader variety.

Pics and videos of the new vertical cloud formations and shaders will be up soon.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  17. nasos_333

nasos_333

First WIP videos of the new cloud formations and shaders. Cloud fade on / out videos will follow soon.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Cloud shader WIP, for Sky Master ULTIMATE v2.2.

The snow shader is now also integrated and pics with its use will be posted soon.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

One more feature added to the clouds, using the new fade in/out I added an option to LOD both distant and close by particles, with smooth fade to reduce overdraw.

This is especially usefull for 1080p resolution and lots of particles per volume cloud bed.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Snow, water droplets, volume-dome clouds and lava (WIP)

HorizON is used for the ground.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New features in v2.2 that are ready and being polished

Volume clouds
    - Volume clouds LOD system (near and far, reduces overdraw, especially useful for 1080p resolution and mobile)
    - Volume clouds fade in/out for gradual appearance and sound (rain, thunder etc) fades
    - Volume cloud fix (white cloud appeared when particle count was not divided exactly by cloud center count)
    - New volume cloud shader with scatter effect
    - Volume cloud vertical formation, for more variety in cloud bed arrangement
    - Height based particle coloration (to emulate the effect of shadow on lower cloud layers)
    - Big number of new presets and samples that showcase all the new features
    - Point light interaction with volume clouds

Snow
    - New snow and mud puddle shader, for meshes and Unity terrain, SM2.0 and SM3.0 varieties
    - Gradual snow appearance controls

Liquids
    - New water drops on camera shader, with refraction and water motion

Volume Lit particles
    - Particle shader that receives light (directional and point/spot light)
    - SM2.0 base (directional) for full compatibility
    - Optimized for speed
    - Atomic bomb example (bonus)

Shader Based Cloud Dome
    - More realistic shader based cloud dome added, for emulation of higher clouds (that dont need to be true volumetric)
    - Replaces the texture based cloud dome that was available from the initial Sky Master release
    - Artistic features like glow and special motion blending

Features that are in development. Weather ULTIMATE may be pushed to v2.3, since the complexity has gone up and will probably need some extra time to perfect. I will push to have it in v2.2, but since this is the final Sky Master major module (along with SkyManager, Terrain and volume cloud systems), it will probably need the extra time.

Sky Master Editor - Configurator - Library
    - Global configurator of Sky Master prefabs and automation of prefab creation
    - Particle scaler included and automated scaling (particles etc) for the whole prefab (particle scaler can be used as stand alone too)
    - Big library of ready to use volume clouds, sky moods, effects etc, all one click away and with preview images

Sky Master Manager
    - Addition of volumetric cloud based weather transitions in the main Sky Master Manager, for use in automated weather, that will give the most spectacular weather effects.

Features that may appear in v.2.2 or v2.3

Weather ULTIMATE
    - Use of the above transitions in Weather ULTIMATE module, to define weather patterns, per season or weather events
    - Integration of the module with the configurator

Volume cloud shaping
    - Define cloud positions manually using gizmos for special situations
    - Conformation to terrain (per cloud or particle, using raycasting or Unity terrain height)
    - On demand cloud (and cloud region) fade in/out, for spell effects etc (e.g throwing a magic sphere that will cut smoothly through the clouds and reveal the sun behind them)

Space (from earth)
    - Asteroid field emulation
    - Moon phases and orbit controls

The v2.2 release may be renumbered to v2.5, due to the very big amount of new content and systems.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Volume cloud WIP videos. The new LOD system is exaggerated to show how it works and all parameters are tweakable to get the proper look per case.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Solved a sorting issue with volumetric and Shuriken particles, now layers are properly sorted between shader based cloud dome, particle clouds and volumetric clouds (plus normal particles)

All thanks to this (beyond description) helpful script. I apply this to the material that has the sorting issue.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=SetRenderQueue

The Volumetric Weather system is also now ready and i am populating the various weather types. Weather now has a class of its own that groups all properties and handles transition in a streamlined way, so this will be a major update in handling weather.

Also volumetric clouds are integrated and are affected by wind etc as well. Snow coverage is also integrated and the system is close to finalized.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Coloration of Unity Terrain trees in run time !!! (shader based) - Autumn
    UPDATE:

I finally figured out how to support seasonal changes in Unity terrain trees. I downloaded the tree shaders and applied a global variable which is set through my terrain script and is multiplied with the final color, to give a tint.

The shaders that will come in v2.2 will be a templete, so if there is a custom tree system in place, just add this parameter in the shaders and multiply it in the end to get the seasonal color changes in any shader. I will post a detailed tutorial for this if needed, it is 2 lines of code change only and works like a charm.

EDIT1:

I realized the billboards do not receieve changes (dont get affected by light too) in color if the camera is not rotated !!!

I am trying to solve this one, since it is the only thing missing for a complete and fully working seasonal system for Unity terrain and trees placed on it.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Video of snow accumulation. This is still WIP and the snow will blend in a more interesting way in the final version of the front trees (actually this is already done and I will create a new video soon, billboards already receive snow in the final way)

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video with the finilized snow build system from a shader standpoint . The synchronization of various parts coverage is still WIP and already fully parametrizable, but some need a logarithmic change (terrain coverage starts too fast for example), so i will automate this further before release for a perfect synch. The snow will build on both meshes and Unity terrain. Also works with unity terrain placed trees and their billboards and blend in an interesting way using the texture color variance.

In order to make this happen, i have replacement shaders in the pack that do the snow coverage for tree creator and terrain billboards. These may act as templete to integrate the solution to any shader (from a scripting standpoint, i set a global shader variable that dictates the current snow growth level, so this could be used as base for manipulating shaders that already have snow cover features)

The terrain snow cover shader, since it is applied to just one material, is handled separately and is not using the global shader variable, so it is possible to control the terrain snow growth rate independently of the meshes and trees coverage.

27. ironbellystudios

ironbellystudios

Wow, this is super great. I hope you can get the seasons thing fixed up. I mean... wow. Not sure how I missed this before!

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

I now have all the various pieces that can make a realistic weather and i am combining them, so it will be easy to switch between complete weather patterns that will include snow, rain, terrain and tree shading, volume clouds with effects (e.g. lightning) and shadows, sky and volume fog rendering and special FX per case.

I suppose this will be one of the most important updates, since it will bring every Sky Master feature together and expose all the advanced features in an easy/streamlined to use way.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few more grabs from the new cloud shading

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Clouds at dusk, vivid setting

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Planet configurations using volumetric fog

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Quite frankly dude, Ithe visual quality in some of those shots are RIDICULOUS, especially since it's all (mostly) SM2.0! Keep up the good work! :)

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot :), i have put a huge amount of work on the system so it is always a big morale boost to see it appreciated :)

In the upcoming version, besides the cool looks, i will be integrating every aspect in weather shifts, so hopefully i can have some epic looking weather changes, that will make heavy use of the volume clouds and effects, snow coverage and much more.

The final goal is to actually make the player feel the storm, or snow effects etc and this will be the ultimate goal after the next version that will offer the base of all the weather changes and application.

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, I figured out a good way to do heavy rain if you're interested; I literally used one of the unity standard asset particle textures to do so. (I know though that you've done refractive rainFX for glass windows and such already)

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

The refractive rain is used in both particles and impacts, plus the new v2.2 screen space effects that will emulate rain drops and motion.

These will normally be used for the near hero area (there is a system to parent rain to hero for near effect), so for the bigger range effect i am always open to suggestions. Now i use a rather standard effect, which i plan to enchance for v2.2, so any idea is welcome.

The combination of the two systems would be the best case, though i want to access the performance with both used, which is currently WIP for v2.2

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

In that case, near rain drops use your shader, the far ones could use rain particles similar to the ones in my game atm. Here's an example of what the far rain effect could use:
    upload_2015-8-11_9-13-36.png
    Another thing too is that this rain effect looks better in motion. Up the density and... you have a farily cheap dense rain effect for the larger range where the near effect stops. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i will check it out.

I will be updating the snow motion too, which is now a lot more spectacular looking.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Would love to see snow fx; I tried it myself a while back, but although the result came out better than expected, the snow flakes could have done with a bit of work... :D

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will have a video of the new weather fronts soon, i am very close to finilizing everything.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The Sky Master configurator base is now done and it is now trivial to put together a sky + clouds system with a few clicks, plus scale particles and adjust everything depending on case. I am now working on volume clouds configuration and expanding the volume weather presets, which will also be configurable through the new editor.

So besides the big number of new features, Sky Master v3 (renamed from v2.2 as v2.2 only covered a tiny percent of the features this release will have) release will expand upon the ease of use with a centralized controller, that will make configuration of the system far easier.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics i took while making the configurator, this has no artistic polishing yet, but is already looking very good, especially in motion and as lightning strikes.

The new volume cloud shader enables local lights,
    and a full range of possibilities in coloration and fog/atmospheric scattering, so it will take the heavy storm (and all clouds) a huge step ahead in visual quality, with various epic looks and possibilities.

The configurator will streamline the achievement of the various looks and offer most possibilites in an easy to access way.

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics i took while playing with the new ground and trees shader.

UPDATE
    :

The shader based cloud dome is now fully integrated in the system and will react to weather and time of day.

Also the base of a weather event system has been added and i will be working on the editor side, so it will be possible to streamline weather events addition.

The system will enter beta near the end of August, with a release soon after and will bring Sky Master ULTIMATE to a whole new level in every aspect.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new basic configuration WIP, including volumetric clouds, upper cloud dome for distant clouds, blue day sky, red dusk and bright night.

This will be easy to insert in any scene with a few clicks in the new editor and then edit or replace with other items from the library (e.g change the predefined clouds to anime or mobile orieriented ones).

I will also make sure that the Sky Master ULTIMATE works perfectly with InfiniGRASS (testing as i develop Sky Master v3.0), my new next gen grass asset which will come in September.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I decided to also add a sun color changer system, that will allow the sun color to change independently (on demand) than the physically based calculated one, for artistic purposes.

I noticed that there are sunsets where the sky would be light blue and the sun red, which are not possible with the physically based model and this shader version will allow the change of sun color to achieve the required coloration.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Sun coloration is now fully refined and will give the ability to fade in different sun colors based on time of day !!

The effect is integrated in the sky shader (SM2.0) and can fade in various ways (or stay the same color throught the day). Also it can have a texture control for shimmer look near the sun edges. A special fog preset will be made for this mode as well.

Also today there is a big offer on Sky Master ULTIMATE. With every Sky Master ULTIMATE purshase, a free $100 gift asset is granted (Advanced FX Creator), while vouchers last.

Note that Particle Dynamic Magic (included in Advanced FX Creator) will be essential for one of the modules/gameplay libraries in the new PANDORA gameplay asset.

Advanced FX Creator Vouchers left ($100 worth - free gift):
    2/2

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

The snow system now supports SpeedTree trees as well (two on the front and one on the back left to showcase the billboard version). The rest are unity trees.

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

A sample of the WIP on Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0 configurator.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

More of the current WIP, sun coloration, higher clouds and special artistic FX using blend modes and transparent volume haze (only for clouds that dont intersect with objects, mainly for ground use).

Top two pics use higher cloud dome (shader based), the 3rd is using volumetric clouds (lower clouds bed)

After v3.0 is released, i will start working on special shaders that will blend Sky Master with InfiniGRASS (my new next gen volumetric grass system), so Sky Master users will get the best grass look possible and total integration with wind, seasons, snow coverage etc.

The grass already looks amazing using the Sky Master system and volumetric fog (i can PM pics on request, not ready to show in public yet), but i am sure i can take it a step further visually (besides the functionality like snow covering).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

I can now reveal Sky Master 3.0 ULTIMATE Bonus !!!!

Ocean system, with underwater options and much more. This will probably be a separate pack later, after i expand upon it in with SM3.x updates.

Other Sky Master 3.0 features include a configurator that brings all systems together and provide ease of use and setup, a snow growth system (working on all trees /billboards, Unity, terrain, meshes, SpeedTree etc), new volumetric clouds shaders, motion options, LOD and formation options, new Volumetric Weather System with events and complete integration of all SM3.0 systems and much more.

Besides the Ocean system, there are also many smaller bonus systems, like volume lit particles, Atomic Bomb effect, Aurora effect and much more

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Various time of day and ocean coloration WIP