Search Unity

Skate N Crash - Android Mobile Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by JamesArndt, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've finally finished up a short term project called Skate N Crash. It's an endless runner, with a skater and obstacles you have to trick off of. The game took about 5 days to complete and it's free on the Play Store. I'm willing to share code or insights into how anything in the game was accomplished. Just shoot away if you have any questions.

Skate N Crash on Google Play

2. Archania

Archania

Going to try it out. Looks cool. Nice work

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Thanks bud. It's good for a few moments, i.e. when the wife or girlfriend is trying on outfits in a store, maybe when someone is on the toilet, gaffing off at work, etc :)

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Put up a preview video of some gameplay.

5. Mat_Of_Link

Mat_Of_Link

This game crashes my HTC Desire HD after the first jump (when the text "1" disapears)

PS : so I guess the name of the game is well chosen XD

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Very odd. No crash reports from any of the beta testers or current users. Must be something with this specific model of device. I'll look into that device and what would cause that.

7. Mat_Of_Link

Mat_Of_Link

Yes don't worry my phone is quiet old now ;)

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Older than my own Samsung Galaxy S2? :)

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Just got the newly submitted build published to the Google Play link. I took almost all player feedback so far and implemented the changes in this version. Plan on putting through updates each week, sometimes minor art additions, bug fixes, etc.

Updated Bug Fixes and/or Improvements:

1.) Removed "Jump" Button to allow player to tap anywhere on the screen to jump.
    2.) Removed fixed orientation for Landscape Right. App is now allowed to auto rotate to either Landscape Right or Landscape Left depending on how user is holding the device.
    3.) Improved response to jump tapping on screen, allowing user more rapid responses.
    4.) Improved texture for drop shadow underneath of the Player Character.

Brand new App Icon:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

Good progress,and I like your characters in your game.

11. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Only 5 days to develop this game? It's so fast, I hope one day I'll do it also) Nice game. Do you have any blog/website? Would be nice to read about your experience hacks/tricks/tips about Unity 2d mobile.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well I didn't use any Unity 2D stuff. Everything is 3d in the scene and uses NGUI for all of the 2d UI stuff overlaid.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

14. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Stupid hard games like this work best when death has minimal down time (see hotline miami and flappy bird). The game ought to restart when I hit the replay button, not send me to the start screen. Also I'm seeing some serious lag issues. My guess is you're destroying and creating objects. Try juggling them off camera instead. Same goes for restarting.

Edit: Also, make sure to stop rendering them when off camera.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Nope. Not instantiating or destroying anything at runtime. All instantiation is in Awake and done before level begins. Things are culled out unless they come into the players view area. You're the first report of serious lagging. Do you mind if I ask what device you were playing on?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  16. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Certainly.
    Galaxy Note Version One.

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This week will bring some optimizations and new gameplay features. Should resolve some of these performance issues and add some new gameplay elements. Thank you for the info and feedback :)

18. TeddyBear

TeddyBear

Nice work man. Do you think about add tricks for gameplay ?

19. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm working on concepts right now concerning adding in some new layers of game play. I really feel there needs to be more to it than there currently is. Also finishing up some current optimizations. I'm totally open to any suggestions for what could be modified or added to add a layer of fun to the game.

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

21. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

App update is live right now. Got some nice additions and improvements in. I've implemented the ability to now exit the app using the Back Button on your Android Device. This was a big requested feature I overlooked. There are several performance improvements to physics. I've added in new player skins, you can customize the look of your character with the click of a button. There are now new trick moves by swiping up or down anywhere on screen. The board grab move is great for sliding through obstacles you always seemed to hit your head on.

The promotion found in the comment above still applies this entire week!

22. Archania

Archania

Nice. Left you a good comment on google play for ya.

23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Cool! Thanks. I've been working on during the week to get continual updates in. Might even use some of the tech as a base for other "endless runner" type games.

24. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

25. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Simple promotion time! I'm doing a single time offer right now. I'm offering the game development asset I sell at this link, 100% free to download, in exchange for an honest rating of my latest iOS project.

Link to the asset you receive:
    http://fatboxsoftware.com/unity-shop/4574957484/low-poly-police-car/8217161

Here is the link to the game on the App Store, you can simply confirm username with me for review, once I see it, I'll send this unique asset your way!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skate-n-crash/id846048953?ls=1&mt=8