Search Unity

Since when does unity no longer support Vista?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StarGamess, Apr 8, 2015.

1. StarGamess

StarGamess

Let me start of by saying i completly understand this i mean who still uses vista?.. But saidly my old laptop still only has vista on it and when i go on holiday i would really like to get some programming work done on my laptop. What was the latest version of unity that supported Vista?

2. Jamster

Jamster

I still have Vista on my laptop and I use 4.6 :) I havn't tried anything higher though so I supect it ended with 5.

3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I have Vista 64-bit on my lap and also use Unity 4.6. Works fine. Wasn't planning on trying U5 til at least another month or two. Glad to know this so I won't bother dl 5 until later on whenI get my new laptop. Thanks!

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're feeling adventurous you could try putting the latest Windows 10 preview on your laptop. Or within a virtual machine.

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Why not just try it... it's free.

I have both 4.6 and 5 running under Windows 10 CTP on my desktop and they work fine. :) I'm an MSDN subscriber and part of the Windows Insider program so I constantly get the latest Win 10 builds.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It has nothing that I need. Perfectly content with 4.6 so will stick with this until my current project is complete. By Halloween I expect I will move over to 5. I generally slow down a lot on dev from now through end of summer as I am an "outside" kinda guy and much more enjoy being outdoors doing things than sitting around banging on the laptop. Works out better all around because I am sure they will have at least a couple patches out fixing bugs between now and then.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Just because it's not supported doesn't mean it won't run. What not supported means is that it will probably run, but if you do happen to find some weird glitch, it won't be fixed.

--Eric

twobob, elmar1028, dogzerx2 and 2 others like this.
  8. RichardKain

RichardKain

I have never, ever had a version of Vista on any of my PCs. I didn't upgrade from XP until 7. Never regretted that particular decision. I've always tended to be more than a little reluctant to upgrade Windows, a policy that has always served me well.

9. StarGamess

StarGamess

Thanks man i was already wondering its still just windows so it should work ;p

10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I agree completely. I had an XP machine for a long time too. I actually like Vista a lot and not sure why so many people griped about it. 8 is the one I am dreading. Thinking when I get my next laptop I will get 7 for it. Definitely is wiser to not jump into the latest n greatest of anything. That is one of the reasons I am in no hurry to get Unity 5. Wait a few months or more and there will be an update or three to fix bugs. Why jump in and wrestle with that frustration just to "be first"? Lol

artistani33 likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

GarBenjamin likes this.
  12. RichardKain

RichardKain

Now that I think about it, I also sat on Windows 98 for the longest time, not upgrading to XP until it had already been out for multiple years. (and gotten at least one service pack) I gave Windows 2000 and Millennium a pass as well.

This time around, I will most likely be passing over Windows 8 entirely. Haven't upgraded yet, and there's no reason to that I can tell with Windows 10 on the horizon. And even then, I will likely wait to hear some positive reviews of Windows 10 before I downloaded, free or not.

I like stability in my operating systems, first and foremost. That's one area that Windows has always fallen behind in. I can run my Ubuntu box non-stop and it never crashes.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

I stuck with MS-DOS entirely far too long. Windows 95 seemed interesting when it was on the horizon, but it came out and was far too unstable for my tastes. Combined with a general lack of software I didn't really take Windows seriously until 2000 and then I only stuck with it till XP came out.

I stuck with Windows XP right up until Windows 7's preview appeared.

Microsoft appears to be taking feedback much more seriously these days with Windows 10 as it will have both a Start Menu and a Start Screen. I don't see any advantage whatsoever to going with 8 unless you need features.

My luck with stability varied. Windows 95/98/ME were notoriously problematic, Windows 2000 was ridiculously stable, Windows XP was a tiny bit less stable, and Windows 7 regained the tiny bit.

Windows 7 has about the same degree of differences over Vista as XP's second service pack though so it isn't particularly surprising that it was stable. Windows 8 and 8.1 similarly felt like minor releases.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  14. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

windows xp - awesome
    windows 7 - awesome

the rest? f****g s**t

I assume that means 10 will be awesome, as long as they get rid of that metro sh** im sure it will be.

Whippets likes this.
  15. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Windows 10 is still metro-ish...kind of some bastard hybrid. I don't mind 8.1 and like some of the new features. Then again I don't use any of the metro stuff except on my surface and there are some great learning games for my toddlers.

16. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I hate windows 8 more than any other OS ever (although I skipped some OS versions (ME/Vista). On Windows 7 everything worked very nice, upgrade to that 8/8.1 crap and started hating life. They should learn a tablet OS does not belong on a pc. ever.

Replacing a start menu with a start full screen page that still doesnt show everything is the stupidest design I have ever seen. I have that Start8 plugin or whatever it was called, but the number of times Ive booted to no mouse/keyboard/freeze on loading is stupid. I only put my pc to sleep now to avoid the problem.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Completely agree and that's the reason I never touched Windows 8.x. Windows 10 at least has something resembling a Start Menu again (along with the option to use the Start Screen if you somehow liked it).

18. delinx32

delinx32

Just a caution about trying windows 10, in the past you have always had to do a full reinstall when the product was released. You cannot upgrade to windows 10 from windows 10 CTP without a full reinstall. That's historically speaking, maybe they changed it with windows 10 ctp, but a full reinstall is a little rough so I'm staying away until release.

19. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Most likely it will require a full reinstall because of sku changes.

20. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Only reason I installed it was to do some windows phone dev..

Had it running in VMs for a while, but it was painful (on a laptop)

21. Socrates

Socrates

Me. I am currently running Unity 5 on a Windows Vista 64-bit computer.

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

As far as I remember, we never supported Windows Vista (maybe we did, but long time ago). The reason for it is because practically nobody uses Windows Vista - according to our hardware stats, less than 0.5% of editor users are on it.

However, the fact that we don't support it doesn't mean it will not run - the only thing it means is that we don't test on it.

twobob likes this.
  23. RichardKain

RichardKain

I am...so sorry. I would strongly recommend bumping up to Windows 7 at some point. You could also bump down to XP.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

It may be worth bumping up to Windows 7 due to Windows 10 being free for those on it. You could always grab Windows 10 shortly before they discontinue the one year offer. By then it should have a fair amount of updates.

Though it may simply be better to build or buy a new system at that point. I know my laptop, made to run XP/Vista, is approximately eight years old at this point. It runs Windows 7/8.1 acceptably, but it still feels dated.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  25. Socrates

Socrates

I have multiple machines running different versions of Windows for different purposes. The Vista machine currently has a work-related use and has the largest monitor, so I like using Unity on it because the Unity editor font is so tiny.

26. RichardKain

RichardKain

This one never gets old.

FuzzyQuills and Ryiah like this.
  27. chingwa

chingwa

I had a lot of issues with Unity 5 (at least during the beta test) on Vista 64. After upgrading to Windows 8, Unity 5 runs nice and smooth. I love 8, not sure what all the hate is about. I turned off that stupid start menu on day one and have not seen it since.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  28. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're turning off the start screen then you may as well just run 7. There aren't any real differences other than that.

29. chingwa

chingwa

Right. I also run three monitors which Windows 8 has better support for. Otherwise I agree (other than the fact that I already own 8). :)

Ryiah likes this.
  30. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

I used Windows 7 for years, really liked it and avoided Win8 like the plague because of all the hype about how terrible it is. Finally decided to upgrade to 8.1 about a year ago and, in my opinion, it's a very good OS that doesn't deserve the reputation it has. Feels significantly faster than 7 on both my desktop and my laptop. Boot times are a lot faster and there's a lot of little touches/features that all around make it feel like a more modern OS. Honestly, after using it for a year the only thing I don't like about Win8 is, of course, Metro--but I haven't seen it since like the first week I installed 8.1.

Is it worth upgrading from 7 to 8.1? Maybe, but probably not worth the hassle since 10 is right around the corner. However, if given a choice between 7 and 8.1, having used both, I would recommenced 8.1 every time.

angrypenguin and chingwa like this.
  31. Kiskara

Kiskara

Windows Vista is known to use more resources than windows 7. I woudl buy a cheap second hand windows 7 and install that on your laptop. I did that 3 years ago along with 4 GB RAM and I am doing well with it, better than with Vista. Not sure with Windows 8, never tested it.

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Anyone got no-money pointers for me regarding windows vista and unity 5.2? I ask because I just found out my 5-year old school laptop (I have to keep it, due to it being the ONLY machine in my posession capable of running unity 5) will have to be wiped at the end of the year by my school's IT support team and given it's original OS. of which is... guess what... vista! *cough* *cough*

From what I can see, Unity 5 will run on vista 64-bit, but not very well... :(

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

@FuzzyQuills: How about grabbing Ubuntu, installing it to a USB flash drive, and running the experimental release of Unity on it? It's a shame that Microsoft didn't offer free Windows 10 upgrades for those on Vista.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  34. jerotas

jerotas

I'm sorry, you lost me with "holiday" and "work" in the same sentence :)

35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Could always try that. :) I am definitely happy to join the linux bandwagon proper once unity stabilize their test builds. :)

Well... unless my lappy decides it's not going to do OpenGL on linux... but then again, I tested a dual-boot with a project and it worked fine, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Upgrade. Not even gonna bother explaining why it makes sense, tired of people. 10's free. And faster.

37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wish I could... And IMO, 10's a new fresh start over 8.1

Anyway, reason I can't... vista's not included in the "free upgrade" qualification, and my 8.1 OS is the school's Enterprise image!

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Does that mean my school holidays never happened? :D (I do programming work most at such a time! ;))

39. twobob

twobob

Windows 10 pro cost me 40 ish bucks for the key and a free disk from TechNet.
    Windows 7 enterprise licences circa 30 bucks (plus the effort of upgrading)
    Windows 8 is about the same. We are MS Partners and I can confirm that this technique is "above board"
    (It was actually a MS 2nd line engineer who checked the keys and upgraded one trickisome machine)

We have XP, Vista, 7 home/pro/ultimate, 8, 10, and a few flavours of linux. ( and Wine)

never tried unity on XP, works fine on the rest (including Wine)
    Since you can chooses any OS now for under 50$ (with some research) the choice is yours...

I am personally waiting for my New Card...

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0

and screen for easier editing (I hope)

To give Unity on Linux a proper testing....
    Still Windows 10 (and all it's siblings) will need a good testing too.... Roll on monday

Long story short - you should be fine. (and DO NOT overpay.... RESEARCH)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This I agree with. Still, $40 for a windows key? What devilry is this?

Would definitely like to know more, as the last time I checked, the australian microsoft store price for a windows 10 key's something like $190 just for the key!

twobob likes this.
  41. TheEpicDarkLord

TheEpicDarkLord

5.1 supported vista so just get that

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... it doesn't matter anymore, the image I was given back was a bit flaky anyway, so I dropped 10 straight on it. :) (Also had a key by then. ;))

43. TheDMan

TheDMan

There is a critical flaw in Windows 10. (Which MS knows about and isn't being honest and open about).

Certain machines that run Windows 7 or Windows 8 that decide to upgrade to Windows 10 can suffer some pretty serious issues, and possible hardware death. It has something to with the power management. For some that upgrade, it kills the machine completely.

So far I've had three separate machines die since Windows 10 officially got released and I decided to upgrade from Windows 7 and 8. One was a year old desktop computer, the other was a brand new Surface Pro, and a 8 month old laptop. All three were bricked. Dead. Luckily the desktop and laptop were company machines and not mine and they simply replaced it. But the Surface Pro was mine and I was seriously pissed because it was new. It was when I contacted MS regarding the brand new Surface dying that I was told by the support rep that Windows 10 was to blame and mentioned a serious issue with the power management and the upgrade to Windows 10. He said it has affected many computers and tablets like the Surface Pro. Once he mentioned that, I brought up my two other machines and what had occurred with them, and he said it sounded like the same issue. In hindsight he probably shouldn't have told me all of that, but at that moment I didn't really care because all I wanted was a replacement ... which MS did replace my Surface Pro, and the support rep explicitly told me not to update to Windows 10 when I get the replacement and that if I wanted to use Windows 10 that I should wait for the Surface Pro 4.

After that I decided to search online to see if there was mention of anything like that since I didn't hear any sort of major things with Windows 10 before upgrading. And yep, sure enough. There's tons of complaints from users. Everything from the power management issues to the Windows 10 upgrade killing machines.

So unless you are literally buying a brand new computer that has Windows 10 pre-loaded on it .... dont upgrade from Windows 7 or Window 8. It may just kill your computer if you are unlucky.

Personally I'm going back to Windows 7 and Windows Vista. And if they force the Windows 10 upgrade for all Windows 7 users, like they are saying they will in the new year, then I'll go back to Windows Vista permanently.

Windows 10 is complete garbage. It is the absolute worst (much worse than Windows 8, which was absolutely terrible itself).

44. TheDMan

TheDMan

Stick with Vista. Its far superior to Windows 10.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

You know on this note I have a friend who recently downgraded from Windows 10 to 7. They claim it gave them a speed bump for Fallout 4. I suspect their system was clogged up but it wouldn't surprise me if there was something odd going on.

46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I thought it was only free for users of 7 and 8.1? So that's not of much help to Vista users. :-(

Of course you're going to find it. You're searching the whole darn Internet for people complaining about a Microsoft product.

If I do an Internet search for Bigfoot I'm sure to find plenty of people confirming its existence.

I'm not saying it's never bricked hardware, but it could be that you didn't hear about it in advance because it is in fact not a common occurrence.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I would have done for a little while... only it was a 32-bit version.

48. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

lol yeah i went from iMac(the original ones lol) to XP to 8.1 (with classic shell installed, start screen thing i never see its super lame) ... 10 looks lame

but hololens looks sweet so ill have to have a virtual machine 10 or something for it

yeah dropping support means like technical support help

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

At least you have some user-navigation reasons to pick XP (or something else) over 10.

For those in this thread saying that the "upgrade" caused power issues that fried their devices... I didn't upgrade mine from windows update, (I couldn't) I did a clean install, and so far, although occasionally, the fans do spin for a bit longer than normal when using unity, the laptop runs fine. (Well, bar some issues with Skype occasionally dropping the ball... That's more sleep-mode fragmentation causing that. :D)

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, unless I quoted this one already... The machines affected; did those machines do their "upgrade" through windows update? If so, then I've been told that's not how you do it. At least, not how you do it without stuffing something.

Basically, a lot of people have been getting trouble, yes, but the majority of those people did the upgrade through windows update... Of which for some reason has issues everywhere. In my case, I did a clean install, of which some reports say worked better than the upgrade through update...

Anyway, this is all coming from my research done within APC magazine and a bit of googling.

EDIT: Addition to research; a fully working windows 10 laptop. (Where I'm typing this from) Still yet to give it a few months, but thing is, the HDD is probably going to give out first after one more year anyway, regardless of OS.

The hard disk is it's original one from when I got the laptop back in year 9, and has lasted me 4 years. (graduated year 12 two weeks ago, and had the laptop wiped and reset with Vista before I clean installed Windows 10) Hopefully by then, I will have invested in a shiny new SSD... ;)