Search Unity

Silver Bullet I: School Revenge

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Eths, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eths

Eths

This topic is going to be deleted,, an other one is going to be made, thank you

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Eths

Eths

Mini Update:

I made Some classroom assets:
    BlackBoard/Class Table/Glue/ Marker/Pen/Pencil/Ruller/SupperGlue.
    I am still not gonna share Pictures to keep people tuned!

And I added the above to The current Progress in the thread

3. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

....Yup

Eths likes this.
  4. carking1996

carking1996

Add pictures, dude.

Eths likes this.
  5. Eths

Eths

Done I added pictures :) but please note that it's still not textured and some models are under progress , and also note that I started 3D Modelling just Yesterday so I am still learning :D thank you :)

6. Eths

Eths

Models Update:

- I Created 2 Science Lab Objects and 1 Cafetaria Model and successfully Posted a picture of it in the main Post.

- I made 2 more Cafetaria Models (Lays and Oreo) and Successfully Posted a picture of it in main Post

- I made 1 Medical Models (Thermometer) and Successfully Posted a picture of it in main Post.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. Eths

Eths

Unity Game Update:

-
    Fixed some bugs with GuiTexture and Video Displaying.

- Fixed audio sound on playing.

- Now you can skip the video with Space button.

8. Eths

Eths

Last April 08 2015 Update:

-
    I made 2 Cafe Models (PepsiCan,PepsiGlass) and Successfully Posted a picture of it in main Post.

- I textured the Pen and Pencil model.

EDIT: Guys, can't I just hear somebody's oponion? I made this thread for a reason , Come on.

Is the models good? or does they need any edits?

9. carking1996

carking1996

Finish them. Textures, spec maps, normal maps, put them in a game.

Eths likes this.
  10. Eths

Eths

Yes sir Of course I will :) I already textured: Pen,Pencil,Marker,BlackBoard :) I will texture both tomorrow as I need to sleep, but are they good at the Moment? I actually need to smooth some Objects over there

11. inko

inko

Hey there!

As a word of advice. You should never start a new project with art. Art can (and most likely will) be replaced over the course of development several times. Don't even start with a setting, since that sometimes can hold your ideas and vision back in the early brainstorming stage.
    Instead, try to start with the core gameplay framework and then expand on that. Get your game to a playable state as soon as possible and then iterate on its individual components over time.

That way you also have something to play right away which keeps you motivated.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

12. Eths

Eths

--
    Hey inko thank you for the advice! but trust me I have tried to start with Programming first and I failed too many times.
    So this time I tried to start with art instead and when I finish the art I will make the main game, also I have started with both not art only but I am only putting the art progress here just for now ^_^

13. Sykoo

Sykoo

It looks nice. But it'd be much better if you posted some actual progress, rather than only some models straight from Blender. If you posted pictures of the characters, in-game models with shaders etc. it'd be much better. But it looks pretty solid so far, good luck with your project!

Edit:
    Also, try to reduce the amount of pictures you're using. Either you can delete some, or just place several of the models in one single picture (like place 5 models in a Blender/Unity scene and then take picture).

Also if you need some feedback for your thread, I'd suggest you to divide the text more to paragraphs. When I read the text, I get a little dizzy because it all comes after a new line, i.e when you post about progress, I'd suggest you begin a new line/paragraph so that people who reads it can follow up what's actually happening in the text.

Eths likes this.
  14. Eths

Eths

Thank you for the great Tip! I am sorry that you get dizzy of that,I am not that good in making threads :) I will edit the topic and will reduce the amount of pictures,I will do what you said and put them all in a scene and take about 2 - 3 pictures of them . also I have added Incoming plans inside the main thread so people would know what I am going to do soon :) I will edit the thread after about 30 min and I will make it look better :) but now I need to study ^_^ anyways tomorrow I am going to post progress of what I did in unity and I will not despoint you guys :) thank you for your post it really helped

Sykoo likes this.
  15. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

one thing to look into once you're feeling comfortable with the 3d modelling you are doing is reducing the number of vertex used in those models... 1k verts for a pen is a little excessive for a game. There are some fairly good blender tutorials on converting high poly models into low poly bump mapped models which look just as good and will help performance.

Eths likes this.
  16. Eths

Eths

Okay thank you, I will try to reduce the verts after that :)

17. Moosetaco

Moosetaco

You really should take that advice and run with it because if you failed at the programming part before then all the art/models in the world will not prevent you from failing again. Yes, the objects/models are necessary for a game and those can be a simple as temporary blocks but the objects will never function without the code. If you need the visual aesthetics then grab free assets from the store and work on getting some functionality into your game.

In the end it's all about what you enjoy doing. I love creating things in Blender as well as making things function in Unity so I generally bounce back and forth between the two for a few months at a time. However, I wouldn't recommend it while still in the learning phases of the two tools... sure you will eventually get better and better at both but you will lose some knowledge while bouncing around that you will have to re-learn. This is purely a hobby for me with no real strong desire to make a career of it (I certainly wouldn't turn it down if the stars aligned) but if that were my intent I would pick one skillset and stick with it through thick and thin. Once you master one then it will be relatively easy to start learning the other.

theANMATOR2b and Eths like this.
  18. Eths

Eths

That's a great wise coldjalapeno , thank you but as I said in the above post I am doing the both, Art and programming, I have already finished most of the Game basics but I haven't posted it on the Thread yet ( will do soon) here is what I did in programming for this game already:

1. Walking system.
    2. Main Menu.
    3. Saving/Loading System.
    4. Video Display (intro) .
    5. Settings Menu.

And even more :)

also I have Over 5 years programming experience and 2 years Unity experience so don't worry about the programming part ;)

19. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Looks Great,
    Models are also great....
    Idea is Awesome
    Goodluck I want to play your game soon
    ;);)

Eths likes this.
  20. Eths

Eths

Thank you very much man! I am very very happy that you liked it :) don't worry you may play a beta version on March ( I hope so ) :)

21. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

:)
    waiting for it

Eths likes this.
  22. Eths

Eths

Last April 09 2015 Update:

- Thread Update (thanks to Sykoo for the great tip) :

-
    Made an album for the model's pictures and edited the thread by adding the link

- Deleted the old photos from the thread.

- Object Update:

-
    Created 2 lolipops,Candy,Water bottle objects and added them to album.

- Script Update:

-
    Made Save/Load script and successfully Tested it. (working fine ^_^)

-
    Fixed some bugs with Main menu.

23. Eths

Eths

Good Morning Everyone.

- Today's plans (mixing day):

as today is friday(no studying), I decided to do all scripting,modelling and texturing in that day.

-
    Texture all un textured models.

- Update photo Album with the textured models.

- Add 2 more Cafetaria models (Candy, and Candy jar)

- Start the School Ext and Int

- Create Inventory Script,Jumping Script,Skybox Changing.

- Create Time script for main game.

A lot of work today, what do you guys think about it?

24. Eths

Eths

- April 10 2015's Updates:

- Models update

-
    Created lowpoly CandyJar and Candy and added them to the album. (thanks to: LeftyRighty for the great tip).

- Started to texture More objects for the Game.

- Script update (thanks to: inko and coldjalapeno for the tip on starting scripting before art.)

-
    Created Clock script and now doing some tests on it.

- Pictures update

- Created Clock picture.

- Created Clock hands picture.

25. Eths

Eths

- Models and Textures updates:

-
    Made new album for Textured models in the main thread, now you can view both untextured and textured models.

- Created 6 texures for 6 objects in the game.

- Successfully Textured 6 objects in the game and added it to the second album.

- Added "Total Progress" in main thread which will show all the total progress in game.

26. l0cke

l0cke

Finish coding before art is indeed proper approach for one man show project. There are other reasons why to do it. Graphics is going obsolete very fast, so if you first do graphics and then you spent 2 years coding, you have 2 years obsolete grapghics and you have to redo big part again. Also number of free assets/asset store content is growing, so probability that you will find something fitting your game is higher each day, so again it make sense to first finish game on dummy objects and then solve art. Other huge benefit is, that with finished game you will have exact scope of what must be done. If you "finish" art first, you will not use everything and you will have to add new models anyway, so it is waste of time. So dont start with graphics until you have at least 80 percent of game done.

theANMATOR2b and Eths like this.
  27. Eths

Eths

Yes I know that, I just want to finish texturing the models that I already did then I will Stop art for a while and start some scripting, also like I said before I am doing both but I don't record what I did in scripting in the main thread, I have already finished about 25% of the Scripting :) But you are right, after I finish texturing those models I will finish about 60% of the scripting then do some art again :) ty for the great tip !

28. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

so what are you ultimately planning to do with this game sell it... distribute is as freeware or you will sell it as template in asset store or will make it open source later

29. Eths

Eths

Yash987654321 this is a great question! ty for asking this, actually I am planning to sell this game but it will only cost 5$, if it didn't make a lot of success then I will release the game as source code with all the models used for this game, also I will make DLC for this game but it will be all for free when you buy the game :) and also I am planning to make a demo version of the game, and a free version of the game, the free version of the game will be the same as the boughtable version but with less weapons and missions also I will make a half hour try before you decide to buy this game

30. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Actually it is a great stratagey but what is the target platform and will you keep IAPs in it... 5$ is really a good price :). And if you relase the source code will it be paid or free :)

Eths likes this.
  31. Eths

Eths

the target platform is going to be WINDOWS/LINUX For now ^_^ and if it gets popular I will try to gather a team and make a mobile version of it, as I feel more comfortable doing a PC Game more than mobile ^_^, and if I released the source code it will be for free and the one who got the source can do anything with it : learn/put in project but without selling my scripts to other people :)

32. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

:) good idea but the main problem of games as i think would be the publishing part as people won't know the a game (even if it is the best ever) if it is not properly distributed...... what's your plan for it if the goes viral the game made by you wont have to be faced be this again.......
    And what are you planning about about NPCs students will they be based on real friends of your or anything else ;)

Eths likes this.
  33. Eths

Eths

Yes I totally understand the major Game Devolpers company problems, I have saw it in many games and that was too sad ^_^ And about NPCs students I can't decide yet it depends on a lot of things if I have enough exprience to do a model of real people or not but I would love to make NPC of real people's look ^_^

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  34. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

try make human for humans modeling you can also rig using it for easy animation :)
    makehuman.org :)

35. Eths

Eths

ooooh yes I totally forgot about that application ^_^ thank you very much!

36. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

no problem :) hope you finish the game soon :)

Eths likes this.
  37. Eths

Eths

Me too ^_^ I had some problems with Clock in unity and I am trying to fix it ^_^

38. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

:) what type of problem are you having

Eths likes this.
  39. Eths

Eths

Problem with rotatearoundpivot as I am not good in Math :D I need to rotate the clock hand around the center of the clock but I can't lol I almost got it but still some edits

40. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

the best option is create a cylinder put hands as child of cylinder and rotate the cylinder.... or an empty game object simply.....NOTE each hands parent should be different hope it helps

Eths likes this.
  41. Eths

Eths

Hey man thank you for the great support but sadly it didnt work , anyways I decided to use Digital Clock for now until I fix that bug, I will post a video of the progress soon ^_^

42. Eths

Eths

- Script update

-
    Clock HUD has been Created with those features:
    1. Abillity to change Clock Color to anything you want ( in digital clock only)
    2. Abillity to change clock type (Digital or Analog)
    3. Time saving on entering a saving position or when manually saved.
    4. Abillity to disable clock or the sound of the clock.

So a lot of people will surely ask what is the use of a clock inside the game?
    well, the clock is one of the most important parts in the game ,as it will really help you in your adventure.
    Here is some uses of the clock:

1.Some missions required a specific time like for example, a mission will start on 2:00 PM then you need the clock to be ready for it.
    2. Some monsters aren't in the school area in specific time for example 3:00 PM so you can freely move at that time
    3. The main characters of the game have to sleep at early time so the clock will also help you to know when they need to sleep.

- Thread update:

- Added Inspired by so everyone knows when did I take my game Idea :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  43. carking1996

carking1996

Alright. Stop posting so much text. Post screenshots and videos instead.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  44. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Stop being mean.

45. Eths

Eths

Hmm sure I will post videos soon :)

It's okay man he is just writing his own oponion and I am respecting that :)

46. Eths

Eths

Thread update:
    -
    Added Special thanks to , any one who helped me or supported me will be added there :)
    Script update:
    -
    Fixed clock script now it's working just fine. (thanks to Flonch)
    - Created more secure/better saving system and tested it (thanks to lordofduct for letting us know why not use playerpref)
    Models update:
    -
    Created School fence.
    - Textured more untextured models.

47. Eths

Eths

Mini script update:
    -
    Players can now capture screen shots using F4 button. (can be changed in settings).

48. Eths

Eths

- Script update:
    -
    created Missions Saving system and Successfully tested it.
    - created Inventory Saving system and successfully tested it.
    - Fixed some bugs with clock.

49. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Happy belated birthday Ethan!

Take previous advice and work on game play with simple, plain, untextured, unity game objects and get your core mechanics down solid.
    I'm an animator and have a passion for art and animation, but have learned the hard way, and from the intelligent developers in these forums who freely give out excellent advice - no art piece is going to make your game good if the game play sucks, or doesn't make sense.

Your texturing is progressing well.
    Post some game play video to show your actual progress.

Eths likes this.
  50. Eths

Eths

thank you! I have already started scripting and I already started the gameplay progress actually I have finished the saving/loading system for inventory and everything. also I am working on the first mission right now using test models from unity ^_^ And I almost finished it and don't worry I have stopped creating models progress for a while until I finish the gameplay :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.