Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Silly Idea] Portalling Between Game's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Arowx

Arowx

What if you could setup a portal from one of your Unity games to another one?

You could then set up a virtual video arcade and allow players to choose one of your games and be teleported to that game.

Why don't we have this yet, most Unity games run on the core engine via mono* so in theory any other Unity game would just be loading the data and code needed to play that game on Unity.

* I know with native compilation and IL2CPP -> WebGL this is not the case at the moment.

It would be an amazing way to share Unity games and it is a technology that is needed for VR.

So should Unity look at making Teleporting between Unity games a thing!

PS IMHO It should definitely have a loading tunnel sequence.

ArachnidAnimal and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. Ostwind

Ostwind

3. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

I've always wanted to make a game where you could have in-game portals to other player run servers (for the same game). It would end up being a distributed mmo of sorts, but with no interaction between the servers other than transferring a player from one to another.

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This is called 'ads'.

5. Rombie

Rombie

Isn't steam pretty much a 'portal'

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

But why?

No, really, why?

Why should Unity put resources into this ridiculously niche idea that would require the rewriting of huge swaths of the engine? What benefit does this bring other than adding steps to the game launching process? Even by your usual standards this is just ridiculous clickbait that adds nothing to the engine for 99.9% of users.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

You could probably have an easier time putting all your games into 1 game and hen just loading this scene or that one

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Arowx

Arowx

So how will the VR Metaverse work without an inter-world/game portal system of some kind?

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's nintendoland, animal crossing, etc ..

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Who needs a metaverse when standard launchers like steam just need a tweaked interface?

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Actually you are onto a trend because now some ads in games are like mini interactive ads pretending to be games. I don't think it will be long before there will be like an 'entryway' into another game embedded in your game, and put there by the advertising service. It'll even seem like its integrated into your own game flow and people won't even realize they're transitioning into someone else's game. It'll just be one big pool of interconnected experiences. ... although I suppose at some point the other game has to download and install. But once that's made smoother and quicker, hey.

theANMATOR2b and Shushustorm like this.
  12. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

hmm this would be easy as hell if you have all the games on web, with webplayer right?
    you can call to open webpages in unity right? .. think so, never tried..
    ooh i guess that doesnt talk to web browsers though ... idk

i tried to read html onto a texture and stuff though, and it (annoyingly for me) is meant instead to load webpages instead of what i wanted to do

13. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

You mean something like this?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/an...-within-a-unity-app-another-unity-app.222709/
    (Haven't read the topic entirely, but it seems to work.
    You could use a "master app" that links to all the games?)

What about cross-game resources, though?
    You could actually "make it worth" playing other games by implementing resources that matter across all the games.
    Then, it may be appealing. As already stated, it kind of seems like an ad, which could be considered annoying.

14. Ostwind

Ostwind

He wants to jump from one VR game to another that is most likely made by someone else with different version of the engine. Like when you are playing the job simulator and drink a bottle of liquid coolant the game will then transition you to play Lucky's Tale

Shushustorm likes this.
  15. Arowx

Arowx

Or what if you have friends who have made games and you allow your players to move to their games?

16. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@Ostwind
    @Arowx
    But the implementation would more or less be the same, wouldn't it?
    I guess you could just check if another app is installed in a VR game, too.
    And if it's installed, open it. If it's not, open the store where you can buy it?
    Don't know if it's actually that easy, though. Haven't done any research.

17. Ostwind

Ostwind

You can already do this with your friends games using few tricks but you won't ever be able to do such things in SteamVR or Oculus Home.

18. Arowx

Arowx

It doesn't need to be just VR it could be any type of game.

19. Ostwind

Ostwind

Then what are you even asking here? on desktop it has been possible several ways already. Even if the engine versions differ you can launch other games with parameters and shutdown yours. With clever Windows tricks user wont even notice that transition happened.

20. MV10

MV10

I want a way to pull other players out of their game and into mine, whereupon I will force them to learn and love turn-based strategy games.

P.S. I think you just suggested re-inventing OLE. *shudder*

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes! Let's take even more resources away from fixing bugs and improving the documentation! :p

Martin_H and MV10 like this.
  22. Arowx

Arowx

Games, AR and VR are going to become a World Wide Web level technology. The ease with which you can jump around the web from link to link in a Web Browser will become a feature of AR/VR/Game browsers in the future.

It could be that we end up with dedicated VR/Game browsers derived from today's game engines or hybrid Web/VR/Game browsers derived from web browser technology (WebGL 2.0+, WebAssembly, WebVR).

I should imagine that we will see both strands of technology grow to fill this space. But a key component is the ability to link and portal easily between 'worlds'.

WebGL is probably the closest to this but even with WebGL >2 (Vulkan) and a fully featured WebAssembly it will not provide the performance and therefore experience of a dedicated game engine running native code.

The first game engine to provide smooth VR portalling will probably gain a massive boost, as players can quickly and easily explore and share more in VR faster and easier.

Well UT already have a dedicated AR/VR/WebGL team this project would be an ideal fit for them.

23. Ostwind

Ostwind

But Unity has nothing to do with it. It would be first up to browser vendors and VR SDK authors. Currently we don't even have a proper non limited WebGL support working in browser that would allow decent VR beyond simple stuff.

Martin_H likes this.
  24. MV10

MV10

Forget AR/VR for a moment. Think of any two games. Let's make it easy and pick Doom and Halo. Since you're here, I assume at least some level of familiarity with the coding that goes into a basic FPS. They both have systems to track player information, what guns they have and how they perform, all the meshes and animations and sound effects that go with it, and so on. All of this stuff was written by two different teams. All of this data is entirely incompatible. And you think somehow the engine vendor (not that they're on the same engine) is somehow going to magically convert all that from one engine to another?

But it gets better! Let's say I'm playing Forza Motorsport and I want to "portal" into Halo. Do I get a Lamborghini-powered Warthog? Can I keep the Warthog firepower when I switch back to clicking off laps at Laguna Seca? I doubt you had anything like this in mind but even the earlier premise describes extremely unrealistic expectations. Not impossible, but implying a great deal of effort to implement a relatively pointless capability.

At most, Unity would be providing a way for one game to kick off another game with some type of generic data hand-off (hence my earlier comment about OLE; been there, done that, got the scars to prove it). The real -- massive, unrealistic -- effort would be to get everyone to agree on standards for the data exchanges necessary to make this possible. Hell, Mass Effect couldn't even pull off complete character importing and they owned both titles at either end of the pipeline.

Where is the incentive for devs and publishers to support all of this? It looks a lot like an over-engineered VR "ALT-TAB" concept.

What you describe isn't like the web. The web was designed to cross-link related pieces of information. The links are very simple. The data exchanges are very simple (or even nonexistent). The user experience is basically the same (in comparison to, say, user interaction within Call of Duty versus interacting with Portal 2, just to keep the examples in a reasonably-similar category of visualization and viewpoint).

Ryiah likes this.
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

You just summed up most of these threads he creates.

MV10 likes this.
  26. Marceta

Marceta

Are you this guy?

27. Arowx

Arowx

@MV10 Why would you expect items to transfer with you, I'm not aware of any games that currently allow items to transfer between games.

Use Case Scenario:

You're playing a game, your friends are in another game they ask you to join them. You do.

Currently: They would e-mail/text/chat/skype you. When you exit the game you are in. If you find the invite in time you now need to have the game installed, find which server they are on and then join their game.

Future With Portals: In your game a portal request appears, if you accept your friend steps through a portal doorway and asks you to join his/her game. You can accept and follow them through or close the portal and continue your game.

Dynamically the common game engine or VROS would stream in the new game and after a short portalling tunnel effect you would be with your friends playing a game.

There are 3 potential ways to do this:
    1. Provided by a middleware platform e.g. Steam. Limited to a specific platform/ecosystem.
    2. Provided by the Game Engine. Potentially limited to games made with the same engine.
    3. Provided by the OS. The ideal solution as this would allow any game engine or game to use the feature.
    Why wouldn't game developers want a way for people to find their games and share them with their friends.

The idea is to minimize friction, to make the transition from game to game smooth and transparent to the end user.

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

At least nothing modern. I believe the King's Quest series allowed you to transfer your character between games.

29. Ostwind

Ostwind

How much have you used VR? or even gaming platforms? SteamVR and Oculus home already have friend lists and you can invite and join, depending of the game you can even jump to same session. Even consoles have had these for long time.

Only new thing you want is a portal effect and these switch effects/events would be responsibility of the platforms not Unity.

Ryiah likes this.
  30. MV10

MV10

Good news! We've been living in the future for several years!

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-live/how-to-start-a-party

31. Arowx

Arowx

Good start but game sessions and even points within a game don't have a unique URL/GPS point you can portal into, at least not a WWW / Universal system for every game do they?

32. Ostwind

Ostwind

What? Have you ever used Steam or consoles?

And for the web you already have the url system which has post/query parameter support. Nothing prevents you already doing this portal system in basic form with some user interaction. If you think browser vendors will ever allow people to directly portal from another app to another without a lot of security in between you will be disappointed.

Anyways Unity has nothing to do with this as you already have access to Windows API. Rest is up to platforms and browser vendors.

Ryiah likes this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

Transferring data from one game into another, what is this? amiibo?

Shushustorm likes this.
  34. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

35. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I believe you mean Hero Quest (or Quest for Glory) and yeah they did. It was also the only way to play "Paladin" from the start in QFG 3 (you could become one at the end of 2).

Also, the Mass Effect games allowed you to transfer characters.

Ryiah likes this.
  36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yeah I meant that game. Too many games with similar names and not enough coffee apparently. :p

AcidArrow likes this.
  37. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

The Phantasy Star Portable series did too

I had a character that I made in the demo in the first game transfer into the real game when I bought it, which I then transferred into the demo of Phantasy Star Portable 2. If I had bought that game, I would have probably been able to transfer it there too and used the same character in 4 straight games