Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sidescroller with 3D models

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jonny314, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jonny314

jonny314

I am waiting on the developers to finish up our 1st game which is in Alpha testing now. I am getting started on the artwork for the next game which will be a sidescroller. I want to use 3D models for it instead of sprite sheets but haven't found any good tutorials to support it being done. I've seen plenty for sprite sheets though which is fine, I partlty want an excuse to experiment with motion capture for the animation. I just want to make sure usimng 3D models is possible before I start. The platform will be mobile phones.
    Thanks for any help.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, it's quite possible. In fact one of the Unity tutorials a couple years was exactly that... had a cute little humanoid robot character as the protagonist... I can't remember now what it was called. Anybody else remember what I'm talking about?

3. jonny314

jonny314

It isn't this one is it?

That one is a sprite that was made in the 2d Controller tutorial. :) I do like that robot though.

4. elmar1028

elmar1028

Yup. There should be a moment when scrolling background is made using scripting.

jonny314 likes this.
  5. jonny314

jonny314

Yes I've gone through the tutorial several times. If I use 2d sprites it works, I even made my own sprite and went through the 2d Controller tutorial and got that one working. I haven't been able to find a good 3d controller tutorial to use with my 3d model.

6. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Have you tried combining the 2D physics with a 3D model? It should work, theoretically.

7. jonny314

jonny314

I will try that next and let you know how it goes

8. Fluzing

Fluzing

Not to sound like an arse, but isn't using 3d models in a sidescroller quite trivial with Unity? Basically the same thing as using sprites.