Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shred It! - Papercraft Snowboarding

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by pez_86, Sep 16, 2014.

1. pez_86

pez_86

Official Website
    | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome! We are a small independent studio from Glasgow, Scotland - and are proud to present our first self-published game... Shred It!, an endless (snowboarding) runner, set in a papercrafted world - all made with Unity! Tear your way down an ever-changing and dynamic papercraft terrain, carefully avoiding environmental and wildlife hazards that could end your perfect run in a heartbeat! All whilst competing for the ultimate high-score against your friends and the worldwide Shred It! community!

What to expect?

Shredded Snow: With a randomly generated environment, every new game is a new experience. Travel through the day and see new environments, dynamic weather & challenging obstacles to overcome.

Tricky Tricks: Earn paperclips by performing awesome tricks, snatching precious acorns away from critters & by besting your highest leaf & snowflake collection score!

Paper Nature: Explore the wonderful papercraft environment around the menu system & spend some hard earned paperclips in the cardboard shop, where you can customise your favorite characters with new costumes and snowboards!

With a plan to launch on iOS within the next week or so - Android, PC and other platforms will hopefully be released shortly after. Thanks for checking out the game!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  2. thoorne

thoorne

Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to play!

pez_86 likes this.
  3. Darkays

Darkays

It looks so charming! I love the art style, reminds me of Snowboard Kids on the N64.

Any plans on releasing this on Windows Store or Windows Phone? I would love to try it out!

pez_86 likes this.
  4. pez_86

pez_86

Thanks guys!

Darkays, I'm glad you picked up on the Snowboard Kids vibe. It was (and still is) one of my favorite games on the N64 and it definitely had an influence on this game, along with some other classics like Diddy Kong Racing etc.

We are planning to release it on Windows Phone, so hopefully not too long to wait for that :)

Cheers,

Darkays likes this.
  5. Darkays

Darkays

I am really falling in love with the vibe of this game. It really is such a cool art style and concept and it looks like a ton of fun to play! I hope it does come soon to Windows Phone (maybe Windows Store as well?), I definitely will be picking this up day one!

How long have you guys been working on this game for? I imagine that a lot of hands have touched the game as well. It looks so polished.

I'm am going to be following you guys from now on, amazing work here! I may have to even enter the board creation competition when I get the chance.

Best of luck!

pez_86 likes this.
  6. Immi

Immi

Very impressive video....
    nice game...

pez_86 likes this.
  7. pez_86

pez_86

Thanks!

We've had a few builds done along the way for Windows Phone, so it's very likely - & Windows Store would definitely be next in line.

Pre-Production & the game's initial design started way back in Janurary, when it was just myself & a single programmer working on it - then after a few months we've steadily built up the amount of people working on it, so the current total is around 11 - which does mainly consist of a bunch of talented artists!

Oh & definitely give the 'Design a Board' comp a go! If anyone else is interested here's a link:
    http://shreditgame.com/comps/
    (The idea is to add a new winner's design to every new update) ;)

Cheers,

Darkays likes this.
  8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Beautifull....love the art style

pez_86 likes this.
  9. pez_86

pez_86

Hey all,

Just a heads up that we were a little delayed with the release - but now have a confirmed release date for this Thursday 25th Sept - on iOS

Thanks & hope you enjoy!

Darkays likes this.
  10. Taff-in-Exile

Taff-in-Exile

Wow very impressive, I hope all your hard work pays off.

pez_86 likes this.
  11. crag

crag

Sweet. Looking forward to playing on Android as well!

pez_86 likes this.
  12. pez_86

pez_86

Hi Everyone,

Shred It! is now available to download for iOS!
    Click on the button below to download & please let us know what you think. (the good & the bad)

Thanks!

Darkays likes this.
  13. Darkays

Darkays

Congrats!

pez_86 likes this.
  14. Darkays

Darkays

Hey there,

I am currently looking at ways to promote my game so I was looking at Everyplay... then I saw that your game was featured on their website!

First off, congratulations on the feature! But I was wondering what was your experience working with Everyplay? I see that your game has quite a few videos recorded. Was implementing Everyplay worth it? Did you see a spike in sales or finding your game in places your weren't expecting?

Thanks!

15. pez_86

pez_86

Hey Darkays,

Yeah, we're incredibly pleased to be featured on the Everyplay site, and are experience working with them has been excellent. Very helpful with any technical issues and they also gave us plenty of feedback on the game itself and the best ways to implement the feature. Some of which we've improved on for our 1.1 update.

In terms of sales/downloads - since launch we're still sitting at a very low figure, because apart from the Everyplay feature and a few websites here and there, we haven't really been given very much exposure. And that's pretty representative with the amount of video shares from Everyplay as well. Think we have around 200 shared videos and you'll see that the more popular new games are up in the hundreds of thousands.

So you can tell from them that it's definitely a feature worth having. And even with our small numbers, I'm sure it's contributed to a bunch of new downloads already for us!

Cheers,

Darkays likes this.
  16. Darkays

Darkays

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like it can be pretty helpful in promoting a game. Though, I think I am going to hold off on adding it to my current game for now, I feel I need to move on from my game for now. Its good to know that it is helpful though, I was struggling to find any user feedback on the quality of the service so thanks for the insight!

Also any news on the other releasing it to other platforms? Can't wait to get my hands on the game!

pez_86 likes this.
  17. pez_86

pez_86

Thanks Darkays,

We're working on other platforms at the moment :)
    Had a lot of stuff to do for our 1.1 update that had us tied down for a while, but shouldn't be long now before we launch on more devices!

Also for anyone who's interested - Shred It! has been shortlisted as a finalist for the TIGA Games Industry Awards 2014 - for Best Arcade Game (from a small studio)
    You can also vote for it for Game of the Year here: http://awards.tiga.org/awards_vote.php
    Though we're aware we don't stand much of a chance against the great games on that list!

Cheers,

Darkays likes this.
  18. normalmaps

normalmaps

awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome Art style !

pez_86 likes this.
  19. pez_86

pez_86

Hi everyone.

Our first update (1.1) has gone live on iOS today :)

From the AppStore:
    • Improved performance on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
    • Just in time for Halloween – check out the spooky new costumes for all your favorite characters!
    • Extra paperclips awarded EVERY run!
    • Earn even more paperclips with fun Daily Challenges!
    • Multi-touch input support added for more reactive play!
    • Meet the Pengz! A crazy trio of sledge-loving boarders!
    • New star-based ranking system to reward those not using Continues!
    • Just done a cool trick? Now you can share a video of it straight from the Pause menu!
    • Too tricky? Relax. We’ve made stages one and two more chilled!

More news coming soon!

Cheers,

Darkays likes this.
  20. GrenadeTree

GrenadeTree

Your game looks pro. How long did it take you to develop it?

pez_86 likes this.
  21. pez_86

pez_86

Thanks!

Took about 8 months of dev time, but with varying numbers of people working on it. Still pretty deep in development at the moment for new game modes, features and platforms. Lot of work!

22. GrenadeTree

GrenadeTree

That's great! I've been working for over 2 years on my project and it's needs another year of development. Keep it up.

pez_86 likes this.
  23. pez_86

pez_86

Good luck on your project GrenadeTree!

We have a treat for Android users this Halloween!
    The game is now available to download from Google Play!
    Click on the button below to download & again please let us know what you think. (the good & the bad)

Thanks everyone!

crag and Darkays like this.
  24. Darkays

Darkays

Getting closer to that Windows release!

Congrats guys!

25. pez_86

pez_86

Seasons Greetings all!

Just a quick update to let you all know that we've launched the game on Windows Phone!
    Each download comes packed with a hefty 12,500 paperclips to spend on characters, outfits & boards as well :)
    Button below has a link to the download, and please feel free to share your thoughts on the game!

Thanks guys & have a great Christmas ^^

Darkays likes this.
  26. Darkays

Darkays

Woo!!!! I am already downloading it! Can't wait to play!

pez_86 likes this.
  27. crag

crag

playing tonight on galaxy s3! will report back.

pez_86 likes this.
  28. Darkays

Darkays

Whoa! I can't believe that I didn't write up a review of the game yet! Sorry for the delay.

First and foremost, as stated in previous comments, I am in awe of the art style. It is so charming and beautiful I can't say that enough. It really is something that I hope you all are proud of nailing the entire aesthetic and feel of paper-craft. It truly is a work of art.

Now with that stated I must say that I really enjoy playing the game a lot, but there are a lot of flaws that aren't necessarily your fault that really put me off of playing for an extended period of time, if at all. A lot of the flaws have to do with the way that the game was ported over to Windows Phone and some nasty bugs that popped up.

One of, if not the biggest problem that I continually run into is that when I close the app and open the app again everything that I did from before is lost. I lose all of my purchases, all of my unlocked characters, costumes, boards, highscores and other unlocks, all of it gone. It all vanishes whenever I quit the app. Now this is a major problem on its own, but in tandem with the next biggest problem it is pretty game breaking. Whenever I play the Checkpoint Challenge mode, the game crashes. I choose a character to play as and then it fades to black to transition between scenes, but it never does and just hangs there. I am forced to close the game because I can't do anything else (and because my phone hasn't updated to Windows Phone 8.1, I have to completely shut down my phone...) and when I return, the mode is locked again and I have lost all of my data because of the first bug. It also seemed like the game was designed with Windows Phone 8.1 in mind, but through numerous patches, I am now able to navigate the menus just fine. There are a lot of other random bugs and performance problems that appeared when the game first launched but those seemed to be fixed after some patches so I applaud you all for that.

But it is not all negatives, when the game works it is a very fun game to play! It is really a Zen like experience just snowboarding down the hill it really is a lot of fun. The controls a simple to pick up and un-intrusive allowing you to just ride. The game can get difficult at times when the framerate dips a bit and input becomes less responsive, but I blame my phone on that one rather than the game. I love the customization options that are available as well. The free-to-play aspects of the game don't seem to be too pricy, but I can't attest to it (remember, my purchases don't stay after I turn it off). The only thing I did by was the no-ads upgrade and that seems to be working fine.

Overall, I really like this game, it is a wonderful and charming game that is something that I have no problem recommending. A lot of the issues I have can be fixed through a patch but right now it is a bit off putting to play because of them. None the less, this is a great game to play, nice job guys!

29. pez_86

pez_86

Hi Darkays!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

We're really glad you like the game & are very grateful for all the positive feedback considering you've encountered some pretty terrible bugs!

We haven't had a Windows Phone here to test it on up until now, so all the problems you've brought up are being looked into & fixed asap! I'm also sure we'll be able to find a way to refund the clips you had after installing it as well - so you can remake your purchases & keep the content this time round!

We'll get back to you as soon as we've updated the game on the store!

Thanks again for your feedback ^^

Darkays likes this.
  30. pez_86

pez_86

Hello,

Been a while since we've given any updates to the game but we have some great news!
    We've just launch the biggest new feature update we've ever had (on iOS only at the moment)

Apple seem happy with the improvements because they've decided to feature us under either 'Best New Games' or 'Best New Updates' depending on the region :D

The whole game is a lot more polished & feature rich now so we'd love to hear your thoughts on the latest build!

Thanks for all the support!
    Here's a new screenshot..

crag likes this.
  31. crag

crag

such great work!

pez_86 likes this.
  32. teodoro4

teodoro4

Awesome work!

pez_86 likes this.
  33. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Lovely art style. Did you get inspired by Tearaway?

pez_86 likes this.
  34. pez_86

pez_86

Thanks guys!

I actually had the style guide & design down before Tearaway was announced. But it certainly help set the bar whilst we were working on it.
    I would say I was most heavily inspired by The Paper Fox Project! The art there is on another level.
    Think he nailed the papercraft style more so than we or even Tearaway ever did.