Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Showcase your terrain screenshots!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by florianalexandru05, Nov 23, 2015.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just like the title says!

I didn't notice any artistic landscape thread around so I thought I open my own. Of course there's the ScreenshotSaturday thread but this one's a little different because it will host all your terrain/landscape screenshots and there are no restrictions, you can post anything from 2d concepts and art to 3d screenshots of your projects or even sf space scene, everything is allowed, except for selfies and unrelated stuff!

*Notice: You can post just about anything, rip models from other games are permitted as long as you make an artistic terrain for the showcase and if it's for non commercial use!

Here are mine, I'll be looking at everyone single one of your posts so go ahead and show off!

Featured

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Other featured

by nasos_333

by - khos85

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    John3D, Milenchy, Sabathius and 9 others like this.
  2. delinx32

delinx32

I don't have any awesome screenshots, but I just want to say that yours are awesome.

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thaks, I would really like to see someone get into it. I'll probably try to post a terrain per month myself...

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So here's my post for now... It's a screenshot of the open world mobile game I was making. Critters done by a coder and the girl I collaborated with. It's part of my new upcoming pack.

Not very artistic compared to the previous screenshots. (unfinished work)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    GarBenjamin, nasos_333 and dogzerx2 like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've got this, if it counts. It was part of a system I was building for a client who disappeared. Its more impressive when you realize that its entirely procedurally generated at run time. And its infinite within the limits of physical memory and floating point precision.

I really should dig the project back up and finish it off one of these days. It was quite fun from a coding standpoint. Making Unity's terrain system performant for run time generation was interesting, to say the least.

One of my dream projects is to build a procedural terrain generator based on full scale plate tectonics, with a functioning hydroshpere. But that's for another day.

Terrain.png

Deleted User, Ryiah and Teila like this.
  6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I like the idea of a generated terrain because of the infinite possibility. I'm not a coder so most so what you said is beyond me... I have an interest in those kinds of systems, perhaps in the future I might show some more interest when it's done, good luck with that!

As a artistic terrain I like the fact it's focus on a center line. Adding some shadows could of helped the screenshot more and make the trees seem to stand on solid ground.

Thank you for the post!

7. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The shadows are weird. There must be some setting I haven't turned on. The default setting when you create a terrain via script are quite different from the sensible ones. It shows you the extent of my art eye that I didn't even notice they were missing.

The 'artistic view' was achieved by running around the scene till I found a suitable hill to stand on and view the terrain. It's the best one I could find in the ten seconds I searched.

It's a pretty simple system. Biomes are determined by two layers of Perlin noise. Colours match the biome. A random scattering of trees also to match the biome.

With real art the appearance would improve dramatically. But it's still a long, long way from the existing stuff on the store, or what an artist can do by hand. So I'm not sure how valuable finishing it will be.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Wow. Very cool screenshots from OP. Thanks for sharing it.

I love realistic, procedural, natural terrain and environments. That's why I'm a fan of games like Skyrim or similar.

@BoredMormon you should continue working on this. I think it could be great in the long term, as you add more and more detail and bring life to it...

10. Arowx

Arowx

My best Unity landscape art to date

Although I did try my hand at world building in Unity

11. Teila

Teila

Great idea! I love sharing my terrain screenshots. When I get some new ones, I will post them here. :)

12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks I chekd that out!
    Good luck, everything people can learn from is useful.
    Thanks for dropping by.
    Is that part of your game or your whip? I would love to see them!

Thanks for dropping by, I am looking forward to it!

13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just a play with a colormap on a simple terrain.

nasos_333 likes this.
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Moody lands, the clouds, water and atmopshere are made with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0

Deleted User likes this.
  15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Very nice and thanks for the post!
    I'd like to see the old ones to!

nasos_333 likes this.
  16. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

My terrain : D

Cool , right?

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Are those shapes supposed to fit in each other? XD

I'd like to see those textures close up! ( ̄。 ̄)

18. pcg

pcg

I'm by no means an artist as the following image will show but I really like low poly art so I thought I'd have a play around. This was created by me in blender, it uses vertex colour only and is displayed with a standard vertex colour shader I found in the forums (thanks to the author).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Hehe that was a joke xD I got that pic from Unity's documentation manual. I'm also wondering what does those shapes mean.

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That vertex colored terrain would fit very well in a art gallery. Very Interesting and thanks for sharing. I hope you come back with more!
    Ok XD

And here's another old image for the holidays. Merry Christmas!

21. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So I made a 10 minutes example for someone and this came out. Part of my future environment pack. Of course there should be a lot more details to it but for the sake of the example I chose to keep it simple.

22. Teila

Teila

I have one! I call it "Camping Among the Giants". It is for a low-fantasy game. Not completely finished but I like it.

Sabathius and florianalexandru05 like this.
  23. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That looks nice, feels like you really got lost in the giant forest making you look small in comparison, like there might really be giants out there. Tell me more about!

Thank you for posting!

24. Teila

Teila

Thanks. It is an area for culture of matriarchal tree lovers. :) I will be building houses and cities in the trees eventually but this picture was for the UI for this particular culture.

25. pcg

pcg

Just a couple more basic low poly shots which were created using standard terrain editor and Polyworld.

The later image uses Snowify.

And heres a weather effect and at a different time of day.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I like the snow one, and the low poly trees look pretty good too. This can make a nice level for a open world.

27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thought I'd show how only 4 textures, a high splat scripts and a colormap can look on a terrain with my painted pack.

Colormap

Terrain with 4 hand painted textures

Sabathius, Teila and pcg like this.
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Since this thread is art related to, I will post one of my landscape illustrations today.

For anybody that comes up with the best screenshot, I decided to feature the best looking terrains on the first comment of the front page.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  29. khos85

khos85

Do these count as landscape pics (for upcoming steam game I've made):

30. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Ahhh, a thread about making an aged terrain system look beautiful. I can get with this, here is some early work with something i've been doing in the past day or so in world machine.

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yes they count, and that looks like fun. Link me to a sample when you have one ready!

I like the first picture and the fourth picture as terrains. I think you win a feature in the gallery.
    Thanks for the post!

32. khos85

khos85

Cool, glad you like and feature! :) The game's going to be released today/tomorrow, find it here on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/400880

33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks I'll play it when I have some time, I'm definitely interested!

34. khos85

khos85

Ok cool, any questions or issues I'll be happy to hear from you.

35. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine V10.6 . It's a procedural voxel terrain i'm working on.
    Here is the winter demo : (there are also tropical,forest,canyons,etc...)
    Voxel resolution : 0.25m (here size (x,y,z) = 16km*2km*16km terrain) (up to 900 000 trees with lod/batching)

NeverLand 2016-02-07 04-34-57-66.jpg NeverLand 2016-02-07 04-35-10-65.jpg NeverLand 2016-02-07 04-36-13-07.jpg WinterTerrain 2016-02-07 04-38-41-38.jpg WinterTerrain 2016-02-07 04-38-54-74.jpg

36. Radius

Radius

These look awesome!, I would love to use/buy your procedural terrain engine when it's done.:) I need that. The atmospheric depth in the 3rd and 4th shot looks great. I wish there was a way to do height based fog from that distance to blend large mountain peaks with skybox gradients.
    Here are a few shots from my VR game im working on TekRok. Using Voxeland asset for the terrain, it's ok but only for small areas. The large trees in the first shot are made with voxel terrain also, tree trunks that is.

Tethys, florianalexandru05 and khos85 like this.
  37. khos85

khos85

Looks very nice Radius, is you game available to play? Is it Oculus Share, is this the latest version ? :)

Radius likes this.
  38. Radius

Radius

Hi khos85, thanks, glad you like:), yes I have a very old version on oculus share, but it doesn't have any of these scenes as I've been working towards the full finished game. Hoping to be done pretty soon still a long way to go what i have now it totally different than the demo, excited to get it out to play, i'm enjoying making terrain with Voxels for caves etc.

39. khos85

khos85

Hope it ok if I share a few more?
    They are not very good, but I am proud of what I achieved :)

Gekigengar likes this.
  40. k1mset

k1mset

The book by Sue Blackman, Beggining Game Development in Unity 4, a little dated, but the chapter that revolves around terrain generation is still applicable to Unity 5 and is pretty indepth. I actually got some good results using it, sadly I do not have the images on me, but I will try to upload some later. Just a bit of information for those who are looking for a good example.

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Voxels sure are amazing aren't they?! It looks really good. I like the ones with the trees but I also like the simple ones which is why I don't know which picture to feature. Anyway I might do conceptual art from it if I got time.

Nice post man! : ) Thanks!
    Edit: I really liked your first and second picture and other pictures in this thread but I only got to slots for pictures left -_-

The third and last pictures are great! This game looks awesome!

I apologize If reply so late but I'm active on more social art sites so I'll always be late lol!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  42. 4s4

4s4

Snowy landscapes in the upcoming Power Hover content update :)
    BTW. Game is out on Android and iOS

43. khos85

khos85

Coo
    Cool :)

florianalexandru05 and 4s4 like this.
  44. Lee7

Lee7

45. Lee7

Lee7

46. Lee7

Lee7

47. laskiapina2

laskiapina2

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Very nice new posts. I'll get back to you people soon enough but since it's Valentine's, I'd like to wish you a good day and lots of fun and since this is also a art thread, I'll post this portrait of a friend I did to lift the spirits. She's a very caring and kind hearted woman which Is why I chose those cold, light colors.

Sabathius likes this.
  49. khos85

khos85

Very nice! Curious, which program do you use for this (is it a digital painting?). E.g. Photoshop or Artrage?

50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yeah, it's digital. Photoshop would be ideal but it's not very well optimized for weak machines. I used Paint Tool Sai. You don't really need to get complicated with a thousand different tools. It was done with one brush, mostly two.