Search Unity

Should we include the following files in the UCB-targeted repository?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by bac9-flcl, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm wondering about two sets of files I always exclude from my Unity project repositories:

1. Assembly/solution files (sln, csproj and such). Until recently I had no trouble excluding them from the repository, but I just had a build fail after removing Vuforia plugins from my project, with the log suggesting that UCB was using an assembly file still referencing those plugins. Can someone clarify whether UCB attempts to generate those files by itself on every single pull (my error suggests otherwise), or whether it actually expects them to be present in the repository?

2. Library files. I had no trouble with UCB builds excluding them from repository, and I'm very hesistant to include them, as, as you can imagine, they will clutter commit history and repo size quite a bit. I'm also aware that UCB can generate them by itself and persists those files between builds. But I'm wondering whether including library files in the files for the very first UCB build can allow UCB to skip all import tasks, therefore dropping hours from build time (in particular, as you well know, PVRTC compression for iOS target is incredibly slow). After that first build, thinking follows, you remove all Library files from the repo, they remain persisted in UCB as per project settings, and you only deal with added time from modified assets. Can someone clarify whether such an approach to speeding up the first build is possible, or whether UCB always ignores the Library folder arriving from the repo?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

1. Absolutely not! This is only waste of space of your repository, any Unity project only needs the Assets and ProjectSettings folder (and additional folder you might have created outside, but referenced in pre/post export methods). All other files and folders are generated, so does Unity Cloud Build. I am not sure what you mean with the Vuforia plugin, please post the log if possible.

2. Do not include the Library folder, but include library files for your plugins such as .a, as they are necessary for linking your project on iOS/Android! The Library folder gets generated and is cached by Unity Cloud Build by default, but you can disable it if necessary. The Clean Build All function clears the cache and forces to rebuild the Library folder which obviously can take a little bit longer then.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Ah, alright, that's great to hear!

I think I figured the issue with removed plugins causing a build error - I missed a stray link file, so the it wasn't caused by assembly files being outdated.

hypeNate and David-Berger like this.