Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Work on a Free Unity Coding Magazine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Arowx

Arowx

I used to use the BlitzMax game programming language/engine and started working on a free programming magazine BlitzMax Coder (http://issuu.com/arowx/docs) the idea was to write articles derived from e-interviews with interesting developers using that technology and helpful tutorials and articles from developers who have coded using interesting technologies.

So is there a need for a free Unity Coding magazine, but would there be the advertising revenue to support it's creation and production?

I like video tutorials but with a text/image based format I can parse it for relevant information and ideally it will provide concise information with links to videos and providers of more information.

Is there a need for this type of pdf based e-zine?

2. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I would submit to this website:
    http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/
    Probably one of the best game dev websites in general. It is a great place to learn almost anything from unity to maya to learning how to do PR. The website also hosts other tutorials for other topics if you want to write articles for those too. Fantastic, high quality website check it out

BeefSupreme and Amon like this.
  3. Amon

Amon

Hey calmcarrots, cheers for that link me Auld' Son. That site is absolutely packed with goodies regarding gamedev.

4. randomperson42

randomperson42

I might read it. But I don't think you could get advertising revenue when just starting out. You would have to get a lot of readers first.

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Those are some incredibly high quality magazine issues you produced. Very impressive! Also cool to see Blitz looking so alive and well. Spent a lot of time with it.

I think it'd be cool to see a magazine available but then I am "old school" and used to eagerly buy all of the computer and video game mags I could find. Not sure if people these days like such things or just spend their time on YouTube. ;)

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Isn't the medium of an online magazine just a blog really?

randomperson42 likes this.
  7. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

I don't think most of you guys know this by tutsplus offers a lot of money for each article that you submit to them. It is usually between $150-$350 per well written article and $850+ per video tutorial series that you make for their subscribers. I've seen you guys answer questions and argue on the forums and if you'd write articles with such enthusiasm, you'd be millionaires, lol.

You can thank me later. :p

Ryiah and calmcarrots like this.
  8. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Lol exactly. Their website is great and that sounds like an awesome pay

zDemonhunter99 likes this.
  9. Arowx

Arowx

Shucks and I was going to ask people to write articles and tutorials for free and for a free magazine dedicated to Unity.

But it wouldn't just be about tutorials it would also have interviews and post mortems by Unity developers, reviews of assets and games made with Unity.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    zDemonhunter99 likes this.
  10. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

You can buy a separate domain name and host the magazine there where people can submit articles and tutorials for free. I was just talking about tutsplus. I find it a pretty good source for earning an extra coin.