Search Unity

Shooter AI – The Ultimate Artificial Intelligence Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nikita68, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Sounds like some nice features coming soon!

2. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

I'm seriously thinking of buying this but before I do I have a couple of questions.

I have a huge terrain. it's 6000 x 6000.
    I want to create several nav meshes in a few areas so my AI can wander about.
    Is this possible with the A*?
    if so, what's the best way of doing this?
    I can't use unity navmesh as I only have unity free and I think baking 1 big mesh to cover the entire terrain would be too much.

If you can satisfy my mind that i will be able to use this for large terrains then you have a new customer :)

EDIT: Good luck in the finals ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. PixelPaw

PixelPaw

Well i update but i don't see any improvements and whenever i go to my assets again i still have the option to update maybe theres a problem with updater ?

Also is there a simple way to fix the arms of the soldier since if he shoots they look fine (other then the muzzle flash effect that pops next to his head behind the gun...) but right when he starts moving they are all over the place twisted in his back or clipping thru his chest...?

It is promoted that shooter ai works out of the box with ufps but ai characters are not affected by explosions ?

Also wondering if we buy shooter ai but then if we use A* pathfinding we have to buy that asset also after ?

4. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Is Shooter AI 3.0 a free upgrade for Shooter AI 2 customers?

5. nikita68

nikita68

@sheffieldlad -
    Thanks! :)

You can mark objects as 'static' to allow them for AI to walk on them. Just mark parts of the terrain that should be walkable as static and bake the navmesh.

If you want, A* is extremely powerful, and allows for very large terrains. I don't know any exact figures, but you can try it out by downloading the A* Free version (same as the one used in SAI): http://arongranberg.com/astar/download

@PixelPaw -
    That seems really, really weird. Can you maybe post a screenshot?

Regarding the A*, we provide the free version with SAI. You can buy a license and then use A* Pro with SAI.

@SuperNewbee - Yep, 3.0 will be available to all 2.X, 1.X users, as well as access to the closed alpha and beta.

6. sonnolo

sonnolo

Hello this my game project website created with my hands ,shooter ai system and ufps.Tks guys for this fantastic plugins ^^ http://sonnolord.wix.com/undeads

7. Que

Que

@nikita68
    I'm looking forward for the release of version 3.0.

Cheers.

8. Que

Que

By the way, Ground Survival is using this asset and it is now available in Apple Store.
    http://que.com/survival/

I hope it will become an inspiration to us all.

9. DaveyDaVinci

DaveyDaVinci

Noob question, but can I edit this to work with a 2D shooter I'm making? THanks!

10. Que

Que

I haven't tried it, but Nikita will be able to confirm for us.

11. Quakeremfon

Quakeremfon

Hey,

First of all, thanks for this epic asset! Love it!

But i have 1 problem with the AI:

They see me, they shoot me. No problem with that, but when i'm out of sight after they engaged, they run to the middle of nowhere ( 0,0,0 ). I saw a earlier message about this problem, but nothing concrete to fix it.

Any idea? Tried a lot of things but they still run away. I have the newest SAI version, bought it yesterday. :)

Thanks.

12. nikita68

nikita68

@sonnolo - Looks epic! We always love seeing the games that you guys make with Shooter AI! Keep them coming :D

@Que - That also looks amazing, impressive how many AI you managed to get into that scene.

@DaveyDaVinci - Depends what 'type' of 2d. If its a 3d world projected into 2d (e.g. top down shooter), then you can easily apply SAI, but if its a pure 2d world (e.g. any Mario game), then unfortunately it won't work.

@Quakeremfon - Glad you like it. :) I believe that problem is caused by the AI not seeking the enemy correctly. If the AI only have one enemy, in the brain, go under "Enemy Data" -> Untick "Search Automatically for New Enemies" and set the "Current Enemy" to your player's. If the AI has multiple different enemies, we'll get onto this issue in depth.

13. Licarell

Licarell

Remember the old Doom games... if the AI shot each other they would attack each other, can you do that with this?

14. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@Licarell -
    You would need to assign a different tag to every AI character for them to attack each other.

15. TPierce89

TPierce89

I am having a few strange issues.

First, my ai is leaning about 45 degrees when they run. They stand straight most of the time, but they rotate 45 degrees randomly when running.

Second, when they are standing, their heads look up at the sky. The look up until they get very close to the player and then they will look at you.

Third, I have created several characters using Shooter AI, but the past few characters I have created automatically disable the brain when I run the scene. I have to manually go to the inspector to enable their brain. After this, they still won't move unless I run up and collide with them. They will then follow me, but they do not have any animations. They do however turn to a ragdoll if they are killed.

16. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@TPierce89 -
    Are you using the prefab included in the package and if so have you changed anything major?

For your third problem, have you created these characters from scratch or did you use the prefab?

17. TPierce89

TPierce89

I created these by going through the toolbar. Tools > shooter ai > create ai.

I start with a model rigged as a ragdoll with no scripts attached. Thus way only the shooter ai scripts are attached.

18. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@TPierce89 -
    I recommend watching these two videos then, one is for the IK setup the second one is for overall setup just to make sure that you set everything up correctly:

19. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looking forward to the update for Unity 5

20. thendricks

thendricks

Unity 5 is causing errors with shooter AI

Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Brain/GatewayGamesBrain.cs(1167,87): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Only occurs during build

I'm running on android
    any chance we could get a fix

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Theekshana-A likes this.
  21. nikita68

nikita68

@Everybody -

Unity 5 update coming along. We're sending it off tomorrow, so hopefully it will be available to all of you sometime next week.

Thanks!
    Nikita

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  22. thendricks

thendricks

Will the next version use mecanim IK

23. nikita68

nikita68

@thendricks - Nope, as mecanim IK is one of the worst IK solutions out there :D Currently we're using a custom built IK solution using the engine of FinalIK.

24. thendricks

thendricks

And also could we get the optimisation panel in an update or in version 3 as I'm making a mobile game

25. Ian094

Ian094

I also get this error when building for Android :
    Is there any quick fix for this?

sonnolo likes this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

U5 compatible version is in the asset store. :)

27. nikita68

nikita68

@Everybody! As @hopeful said, Unity 5 release it out in the store! :) Unfortunately, Unity really screwed up with 5, and you can currently build a game with engagement scripts, so we're taking them out in 2.2.3. The current version in the Asset Store can be used to test and run in editor, but if you want to build remove line 1211 of GatewayGamesBrain.cs!

I'm really disappointed in the release of 5, and we'll have to remove the engagement script feature in all future versions. :'(

@thendricks - Good idea! In our current stress tests, we got very good results. The only thing hindering you making thousands of AI now is the Unity rendering engine, but that should be manageable with LODs, max rendering distances etc..

@Intense_Gamer94 - Fixed in the current version. :)

Ian094 likes this.
  28. OnePxl

OnePxl

What feature(s) are these scripts using that have changed/been removed in Unity 5?

29. nikita68

nikita68

@OnePxl - Engagement scripts were used when you needed to have custom logic when an AI sees the enemy. It would add a custom script to the component, and then the script would provide back a decision on whether to engage or not.

30. OnePxl

OnePxl

And that doesn't work in Unity 5 anymore?

31. nikita68

nikita68

@OnePxl - Nope, Unity changed their API, so now its impossible without manually editing the code in the brain. Its not really a feature thats used a lot, or hard to do it yourself, just an annoyance for us.

32. OnePxl

OnePxl

Ah, I see. They've removed access to the internal API. And the normal GO.AddComponent() doesn't work the same?

33. nikita68

nikita68

@OnePxl - Nope, they changed the way AddComponent works.

34. LVermeulen

LVermeulen

Are there any examples of this working with A* pathfinding? Ever test I've done with the latest version (in Unity5 and 4) has the AI motionless, with the a* example bot having no problems navigating the same level

35. nikita68

nikita68

@EVERYBODY! We have some bad news and good news.

Bad news: The whole Gateway Games team, including Ryan and me, have our final exams coming up in April. These are one of our most important exams in our lives, so we will be prioritizing them above support for the next couple of weeks. This means that we will still aim at responding to each support request within 1 work day, but may result in wait times up to 3 days. This is definitely only temporary, and from the beginning of May, we will be investing 100% of our time into our assets.

Good news: Shooter AI 3.0 is coming along, and we're hoping to give you alpha access by mid-May. Heres the first demo, where you can see what we're bringing to the table:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86419401/Demos/SUPREME AI PRE-ALPHA/SUPREME AI PRE-ALPHA.html

Also, as a notice, we will be re-branding Shooter AI 3.0, to "SUPREME AI", as we are releasing many products this year and they will all be under the same brand.

@LVermeulen - Answered your email. A few days ago.:)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  36. JBR-games

JBR-games

@GatewayTeam
    looks good guys keep up the hard work, and good luck with finals.

RyanEarpGW likes this.
  37. hopeful

hopeful

Good to see the demo, but it seems incomplete or maybe it is just an early alpha. Pink shading in places, one of the troopers on the right just stands there behind a barrier and the guys on the left (if surviving) will try to shoot him through the wall rather than advance on him. After running a few simulations I got an error and decided to end the demo.

38. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@hopeful -
    The demo is a pre-alpha build, we are still a couple of months away from the actual product.

39. nikita68

nikita68

@hopeful - On top of what Ryan said, this demo is basically to show the new animations, cover and suppression fire system. We've deactivated the flanking in this demo as it's not fully finished, and the demo itself was built really quickly so the pink parts you see are just little referencing errors.

I wanted to post this here to show that we're actually working on something brand new that will be of high quality, and that we're not giving false promises.

40. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

So the Shooter AI 3.0 or "SUPREME AI" will be available to Shooter ai 2.0 owners for free...?

BTW even the pre alpha demo looks so real, the AIs were almost behaving like real humans, atleast i think that way, animations were smooth and perfect.

41. rushbier

rushbier

Will the ai eventually be able to jump over obstacles and gaps?

42. thendricks

thendricks

An idea would be to have an aggression value to determine whether an AI advances on its enemy or runs to cover, this could also lead to the AI's making decisions about whether to stay in cover if the engagement has gone on for long enough.

nikita68, hopeful and JBR-games like this.
  43. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@Mayureshete -
    Supreme AI will be free for Shooter AI 2.0 users. Great to hear, thats what we are going for!

@rushbier -
    Currently we are not planning to implement jumping due to the navmesh.

@thendricks -
    We will definitely take it into consideration.

44. JBR-games

JBR-games

@gateway team
    I'd really like to see an aggression setting as well.

Also. Not sure if its possible but could you guy point me in the right direction on code access i want to have a squad of (shooter ai) that follows the player or at least stays near him. Could i do some sort of update where the wander path reupdates around the player?

Also if i wanted to have the ai target a specific enemy that the player targets. I guess it would kinda be like calling for back up ,Any thoughts?

Thanks -josh

45. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@JBR games -
    1. It is possible. Try setting the player as the AIs waypoint in the patrol manager. You can also try to call the function SetDestination in the movement controller. These options might work but no guarantee.

2. Look for the helper script UpdateEnforcedEnemy, you can set the parameter "enemy" using a script located on the player. This should make the AIs attack a specific enemy.

46. Mikeedee

Mikeedee

Good luck with your exams !
    The cover and other improvements for 3.0 convinced me to buy this as soon as it's out. The demo looks great btw, specially since it's only pre-alpha :)

nikita68 likes this.
  47. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

seems there is a bug in zombie prefab too , it wont do any kind of damage to ufps player just come to me and stand

48. rchassereau

rchassereau

Happening for me as well

49. nikita68

nikita68

@abhijeet1001 & @rchassereau - Will be fixed in 2.2.3, which will be available to all users at the end of this week, and should go live onto the asset store sometime next week. :)

rchassereau likes this.
  50. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

great :eek:)