Search Unity

Shooter AI – The Ultimate Artificial Intelligence Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nikita68, Oct 8, 2013.

1. uvavoo

uvavoo

First tests
    - Spawn manager
    Not tested.
    - Clean up manager
    Yes this works fine (wasn't it included before)?
    - Improved readability on some scripts
    Good.
    - Added automatic weapon switching and weapon tactics based on range
    Not tested as yet, I don/t have a soldier with multiple weapons. But sounds like a great idea.
    - Better rag dolls
    Good
    - Improved cover results
    Hmm, I am still struggling with this, Still if I shoot the enemy he stands there as if he is enjoying it.
    - Added UFPS -> AI character converter
    Not applicable to me.
    - Wander function
    Yes, good, seems to work fine.
    - If AI is too close to enemy, it automatically finds a new fighting position
    Again, Unless I am doing something wrong, or I need to do something, enemy still comes too close to player. I wish I could just input a value somewhere 'too close' = 10 or something.
    - Added property to change damage method name

Yes good. very useful. Works fine, had to change script every time previously.
    Thanks.

2. nikita68

nikita68

@uvavoo -
    Cover results - We're going to use a new system, very soon.
    Too close - i actually forgot to add the public property to the brain, but you can modify it in the Brain in line 105.

Thank you for your time and extra detailed report! :)

3. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

You have A* included. Is this the Free version included? If so, should I just install my pro-version, or is there some specific steps I need to follow? I didn't see any steps in your Help/Manual

4. uvavoo

uvavoo

Ah, yes, I see it. If you switch from normal to 'debug' in the inspector it shows up. Increased the min distance to enemy as suggested and the enemy behaviour seems much better already.
    I look forward to the new cover system. I think with better cover system this could be a killer product.

Regarding my suggestion:
    1. "Is the enemy targeted". If the player has its sights on the enemy this should affect enemy behaviour, either, a) the enemy should stay in cover, b) the enemy should seek cover c) crouch. etc. Perhaps in this case Fear could be increased.
    and your reply:
    1) We will need to look into this, but this is really hard to implement, due to the different solutions that people are using (RFPS, UFPS, AI vs AI etc..).

I am not familiar with these applications, but (and I may be wrong) isn't targeting usually governed in 99% of solutions by a ray trace hit? Anyway, it would be cool if you could implement this feature. If it is too difficult due to various different solutions, then that's fine.

Keep up the good work.

5. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

For next update could there be AI classes and a weapon setup and designer so you can make your own custom weapons for your ai and how fast and long they should be able to use it. Say like if I want to make a sniper I just click a few buttons - Bolt action- one shot - damage 87 - range 394 - mag 5 - - amount of bullets per shot - 1. bullet prefab - laser trail -. and then animation slots and any other feature u want so that way ur snipers and shotguns actually shoot like you want them to.

6. emmcd3

emmcd3

7. emmcd3

emmcd3

8. uvavoo

uvavoo

Been thinking about the above.
    I have recently played a game called Fear 2. Whereby the enemy stays in cover or seeks cover if he is in your sights (the ai in this game is really impressive). This is at quite close range.(if you see a gun pointed at you, you seek cover).
    However at a greater range as you suggest the enemy would not necessarily see that a gun is pointing at him. So I agree partially with your point (emmcd3).

BTW has anyone got the seek cover behaviour to work as they wish? Just concerned I am doing something wrong. (I know Nikita is working on a new system).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  9. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Is there respawning? Hard to tell as I don't see any.

10. Baazar

Baazar

Hey Nikita, could you update the script for making melee work with the UFPS mace? Currently adding the code you referenced before generates this: "The type or namespace name `Detecthit' could not be found"

11. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks like 2.0.1 is live on asset store

12. nikita68

nikita68

@Everyone-
    Thank you for your nice words! They make SAI development much nicer. :)

We're also participating in the PewDiPie vs Indies game jam, and you can watch the whole team here at Gateway Games in our livestream which will go live tommorow at 13:00 CET:
    http://www.twitch.tv/harml3sss

Also i recommend watching Justin (the 2d artist) and me get freaked out playing Alien: Isolation on the same channel.

@99thmonkey -
    1) A* Free is included. If you're using the pro version, just replace it in the "Shooter AI" folder structure.
    2) Respawning is now in 2.0.1, which is live. :)

@uvavoo - The problem is usually how the camera is handled. If we ray trace in UFPS, we will get a good result, but the same in RFPS or in other solutions will give bogus output. Maybe this could be optional behaviour. Definitely looking into it.

@Optical Illusions -
    With 2.0.1 (which just came out), we add exactly this, though you still need to customize the ranges, magazine size etc. :)

@emmcd3 -
    We're trying our best. :)

@Baazar -
    Thats part of the UFPS code, so we can't change it unfortunately. Though heres the fix:
    1) Go to line 182 of vp_FPWeaponMeleeAttack.cs
    2) Add the following:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     //see if there are any detect hits NOT PART OF STANDARD UFPS
    3.                 Collider[] hitColliders = Physics.OverlapSphere( transform.position, DamageRange);
    5.                 foreach(Collider col in hitColliders)
    6.                 {
    7.                     if(col.GetComponent<GatewayGames.ShooterAI.GatewayGamesDamageRegion>() != null)
    8.                     {
    9.                         col.SendMessage(DamageMethodName, Damage, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    10.                     }
    12.                 }

13. Baazar

Baazar

Thanks so much Nikita. It does work now, however the mace is supremely overpowered for some reason. Even reducing the damage to 0 is a one-hit kill... any thoughts?

14. nikita68

nikita68

@Baazar -
    Try adding a "break;" after the "col.SendMessage".

15. Baazar

Baazar

Thanks for the reply but same issues. I have damage set to 0 on both the mace and the melee attack but it's still an instant kill. Might have something to do with the health manager...

16. nikita68

nikita68

@Baazar -
    Then try adding a "continue" instead of "break".

17. Baazar

Baazar

:/ Nope that didn't do it either. Can you paste the code exactly how you mean? Maybe I'm just not scripting it correctly...

Don't mean to be annoying. I appreciate the support. I'm just doing a zombie game and melee is predominant.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  18. nikita68

nikita68

@Baazar -
    This is what i mean.
    Code (csharp):
    2. //see if there are any detect hits NOT PART OF STANDARD UFPS
    3.                 Collider[] hitColliders = Physics.OverlapSphere( transform.position, DamageRange);
    5.                 foreach(Collider col in hitColliders)
    6.                 {
    7.                     if(col.GetComponent<GatewayGames.ShooterAI.GatewayGamesDamageRegion>() != null)
    8.                     {
    9.                         col.SendMessage(DamageMethodName, Damage, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    10.                         continue;
    11.                     }
    13.                 }
    Btw, we just started our livestream. :)

19. Baazar

Baazar

Yeah that's what I have... still instakill on the AI. :/ I'll tinker. Good luck with the live stream, I'm watching now!

20. nikita68

nikita68

@Baazar -
    I will look into it in depth next week and give you a complete solution. Sorry for this inconvenience.

hopeful likes this.
  21. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Where is this livestream?

22. nikita68

nikita68

23. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Hi Nikita,
    I have seen the weapon customization improvements however its not too user friendly, huge weapons need a great change in future update. For one I am trying to make a sub machine gun but the gun only shoots once per however long u want not making it good for machine guns. Fire rate should be added along with shots per second for single shot weapons. Real oping animations would be nice as well but as long as the gun works it's cool. Also I think there should just be a tab like on most fps packages that say, shotgun, single burst, sniper bolt action, machine gun, explosives and that kind of stuff. Which brings me to the fact that I tried making a grenade launcher using the a missile prefab and an impact effect but I did not work. The missile passes through everything and no impact effect pops up furthermore not damaging the enemies. There is more too it as well but I feel like I've said enough. I hope to see a fully customizable powerful weapon customization panel for the AI in the near future and I know it's possible because I've seen major improvements since this first came out. (Please also work on ik, hands get weird and messed up and go through the body). I'll rephrase all this in a sentence. Please make a full weapon custimization panel that includes everything to make any weapon you want from machine guns, to lasers, to grenade launchers, shotguns everything. And have it work please. Thank you and I still also want to say thank you for this new update too because even though it's needs work its a small improvement and shows you are trying. Thank you.

24. eridani

eridani

Is this happening in the latest version?

25. CreatureSurvive

CreatureSurvive

@nikita68 A few things I've been struggling with on the 2.0-2.01 updates.
    Firstly, I've found that when spawning ai into my scene (with both your Generic Spawn Manager, as well as one i wrote to try and fix the issue) all the ai in the scene ignore me (the enemy) unless i shoot one of them directly, they all just start running in the direction of 0,0,0 in the scene and since they are unable to reach it in my scene the just stop once they are as close as they can get to it. after 5 minutes or so they start running back to the city in my scene. I've looked through my hierarchy to try and find any objects in the scene that they might have been running to but there is nothing there. however if i pre-place them in my scene and then use SetActive when needed then they will attack as normal and not try to run to 0,0,0.

Secondly, I've been using shooter ai in my game for prototyping for a few months now and finally i've decided to really start customizing the ai. I've Created a few new AI Characters with custom guns, character models and heavily tweaked all the settings ane its coming together quite nicely, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to set up multiple weapons for the ai. i've created a handgun using the 'Create New Weapon" utility and made it a child of the ai and added it to the weapon manager but i cant get him to use the weapon. a tutorial would be great for setting up multiple weapons, if you have time.

Lastly, i'll probably feel really dumb when i do figure this out, but its been driving me crazy, for some reason i can only hear the AI gunshots from about 4-5 meters from from them i see no options for adjusting the volume of the shot or the hearing distance of it. there is an option to adjust the hearing distance of the bullet for the ai, just not for the player. ive looked at the audio source on the weapon during run time but that got me now where.
    Any pointers on that would be great.

26. nikita68

nikita68

@Optical Illusions -

Weapon presets - Great idea! We've added this to what we're going to work on.
    Weapon fire rate - What do you mean exactly? Like currently you tell the system the time between shots so 0.0166 would result in 60 rounds per second.
    + @eridani - Are the hand ik problems in 2.0.1 present?

@CreatureSurviive -

1) Seems like theres a problem with them realizing that they heard something, but the default is 0,0,0. Have you looked what state the prefab is in?
    This seems quite weird, so if we can't find a quick solution we can fix it via Skype if you want.

2) We've updated the automatic weapon switching in 2.0.1. All you need to do is add the weapons into the list in the Gateway Games Weapon Manager. I'll try and make a tutorial this week.

3) The bullet audio source gets dynamically added onto the weapon, if theres no audiosource present. I recommend adding the AudioSource onto the weapon, and adjusting the values so that the range is as you want it to be.

@Everybody!

We just completed the Indie vs PewDiePie game jam with the whole team, so please vote for us here :D :
    http://jams.gamejolt.io/indiesvspewdiepie/games/extreme-sports-2k15-extreme-edition/39432

You can also watch all 60 hour footage here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/harml3sss/profile/past_broadcasts

27. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Yes from the very latest version.

28. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

@nikita68- Weapon presets - Great idea! We've added this to what we're going to work on.
    Weapon fire rate - What do you mean exactly? Like currently you tell the system the time between shots so 0.0166 would result in 60 rounds per second.
    @eridani- Are the hand ik problems in 2.0.1 present?

Yes they are still present, better than before because they didnt work but IK glitches still ther and need work.

Yes for the fire rate i mean how much time it takes for the bullets to shoot while the AI is holding the trigger to be able to make machine guns. but also keep the shots per second thing you have because its great for some semi automatic weapons such as pistols, but not for machine guns because the current AI shoot there M4's like a pistol instead of current fire and rain of bullets that should actually be happening.

29. paulojsam

paulojsam

Does shooter AI allows dinamic wandering like Advanced AI, or just static waypoint navigation for patroling

30. CreatureSurvive

CreatureSurvive

@nikita68
    Thanks for your help, I managed to fix issue #1 by un-checking the "get bullet pos" in the ears component. Thanks for recommending looking an the ears.

Haven't tries anything with issue #2 yet thought the way you described it, it should be pretty easy.

And issue #3 I managed to fix by adding the audio source and tweaking it.

Now I can't for the life of me figure out how to speed up reaction time. Basically I want the enemy to begin firing at me the second they see me, which sometimes they will but most of the time they rotate very slow so they will start firing before they are aiming at me, causing them to miss me. What I want is after they spot me, they should be firing at me unless they are seeking cover, reloading, or running away. A lot of the time they will just stand there and stare at me even if there in the engage state. As soon as they see me shoot or find cover or both, no standing around. It seems like this should be simpler than its turning out to be. Emotion seems to have no factor in this.

31. nikita68

nikita68

@Optical Illusions -
    1) Could you provide a screenshot when it happens and under which circumstances?
    2) I'm looking into how to integrate machine gun style into 2.1.

@paulojsam - Yep, we introduced it with 2.0.1. :)

@CreatureSurviive -
    1 + 3) Nice. :)

We're fixing the staring issue with 2.1 release, which will also increase reaction time. We will be providing beta access on Sunday. :)

32. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

@Nikita
    Could you repeat 1) please in a different way i did not quite understand,
    and great if you need help Realistic Prefabs has a nice weapon customization system as well as other Fps packages.
    And also i have a question, how do i make my AI wander how do i activate the AI wandering please? because i am tryng to get bots to be like cod and wander around would be the first step thank you.

33. eliteslayer

eliteslayer

could there be explosives added as well please like grenade launcher, RPG C4 that kind of stuff? havent been able to achieve that as well since the new update. Also a very much request is please, Grenades, knifing melee when close and also secondary grenades such as flash and a more interactive Ai in the environment such as able to jump over obstacles, climb and descend ladders, swim(big one understandable if not possible) Ability to walk up and down hills looking the right way (looking up while moving up or down while going down cause they look straight forward when doing so) ability to jump in general, proning or laying down, and a big one would be crouching. So what i am really asking is an environmental reaction update as well as a few upgrades to AI ability. Thanks and great job.

34. eliteslayer

eliteslayer

I forgot to mention that also the AI damage system needs improvment, one bullet and the Ai ragdoll activates way to easy, also instead when they get knocked and there not dead there supposed to activate the getting up animations the ragdoll activates, the gun goes flying and when he gets back up the gun flies right back to the Ai and he goes from dead to back alive, please fix the getting down and get up issue as well as the health on the AI, thank you and also could you make a zombie demo in next update with a small wave system ive been trying to make zombies but it dosent work so i just wanted to get a demo to easily make one. Thank you

35. paulojsam

paulojsam

thank you for your answer. Where can i change the patrol to be dinamic, instead of the waypoints navigation then

36. nikita68

nikita68

@Optical Illusions -
    1) Could you give us a screenshot of when the arm IK screws up? :D Also a short description of when it happens would be awesome.

+ @paulojsam - In 2.0.1, go to Patrol Manager -> Enable wandering. Just specify the radius of how far AI can wander from the initial position.

@eliteslayer -
    1) Explosions can be achieved like in UFPS.
    2) Grenading is already implementing, as well as multiple weapon switching in 2.0.1
    3) jumping etc.. really depends on the navigation system you're using, and not on SAI.
    4) Crouching has been in SAI since 1.2. You can enable it via the brain.
    5) You can modify how quickly the AI falls etc.. via the individual health regions.
    6) We're adding zombies in 2.1 .

Also, we're currently working on a huge deal right now, so stay tuned early next year for some EPIC news. ;)

hopeful likes this.
  37. CreatureSurvive

CreatureSurvive

@nikita68 is it possible to implement IK goals for the elbows? I've tweaked the weapon holding positions as much as I possibly can and it does look decent but I still can't get it to that perfect point where the arms won't slightly go into the torso. So my thought was to add IK goals for right/left elbow, this way you could adjust them outwards slightly to avoid arms going through the torso. Maybe even be able to disable the IK goals in certain states, like if the AI is currently using the "engage holding position" then it would disable the elbow IK goals. Then when using the "default holding position" turn the elbow IK goals back on.

Just a thought, though you may already have something better in the works.

Also I'll send you a PM on Sunday with my purchase receipt if you'll let me beta test the new update, as I am very actively working on the AI in my game right now. I could provide some good feedback and input on a regular basis through the beta stages.

38. nikita68

nikita68

@Everybody -
    2.1 is now in beta. :) PM with order confirmation if you want access.
    Heres the feature list:

- Exposed some important parameters into the inspector
    - Fixed AI staring but not firing bug
    - Zombie prefab included
    - Weapon presets added

Also, new tutorial out for multiple weapons:

@CreatureSurviive -

Heres some IK tutorials explaining exactly that :) :

39. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Here they are fresh from the scene, Also i hope its fine but i would like to ask when the next update is and what the new features are. Screen shot 2014-11-28 at 11.33.45 PM.png

Attached Files:

40. paulojsam

paulojsam

you are merging ufps right

nikita68 likes this.
  41. nikita68

nikita68

@Optical Illusions -

Hmm. That looks weird. Have you tried playing around with "Fixe To Sampled Pose", "Clamp Joint Range" and Bend Goals in the "Shooter AIIK" script located on the model?

@paulojsam -

:D Interesting idea, but right now we're not planning on merging. Though we do have some UFPS news coming out in the next few weeks. ;)

Keep trying.

42. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Uuuh not sure. if its twisting the ragdoll up with the arms and hands like in the tutorial then yes, if its something else you can do manually than no.

43. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Also when is the next update coming out and what new features are there?
    Thanks

44. foomanchu1989

foomanchu1989

First off, this is one of the best assets on the store so bravo to you and your team. I have a quick question though. I have gotten the AI to work properly but upon looking at the gameobject I see that the engagement scripts have been added multiple times. This doesn't seem right but I figured I would ask. I have attached a picture of what the inspector says. Thanks in advance! I am using UFPS with your package if that makes any difference.

Attached Files:

45. nikita68

nikita68

@Optical Illusions -
    1) Try ticking the options such as "Fixed To Sampled Pose" and "Clamp Joint Range" in the "Shooter AIIK" script located on the model. That stopped all problems for me.
    2) Uploading the 2.1 right now. Heres the feature list:

- Exposed some important parameters into the inspector
    - Fixed AI staring but not firing bug
    - Zombie prefab included
    - Weapon presets added
    - Added more time for getting up

But we're working right now on implementing the new cover searching algorithm, as well as adding better core behaviou.

@foomanchu1989 -
    Thank you very much! :)
    I'm looking into this. Will either be patched with 2.1 or soon after.

46. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hey, glad to see you been working on improving on this package. I bought it a while back but never went much farther than checking out the demos. I've been getting ready to add this to my current project as a few Scenes i wanted some AI to fight along side the player. Figured the ability to have teams would work great.

As of the last release 2.01 i was playing the demo scene that came with the package and noticed that the soldiers were moving in different directions than there bodies were aiming, and in general the movement animations were not consistent with there actual direction or speed, for example the character is on his knees and then sides like 3 meters before actually getting up to run. (looked just like using transform movements with legacy animations, pre Mecanim)

SO my question is, Is there something i need to change to get the character to move consistent with the animations. In my project I Wrote a basic mecanim based animation script without navmesh that looks/react as I would expect with mecanim (Seamless transitions between movements with realistic speed and rotation), So in shooter AI is mecanim being over powered by a movement scripts or the pathfinding? or are 2 or more animations fighting each other or not properly blending? or is mecanim being simply used like the old legacy animations system?

Also as CreatureSurviive has also noticed several of the soldiers will run to location 0,0,0 and the amount of soldiers that do that change every time i hit the play button in the Demo scene.

This was a fresh download and import into a new clean project using Unity 4.6 Free
    Thanks - josh

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  47. JBR-games

JBR-games

Ok did some looking around on the code and it looks like navmesh is handling all the AI locomotion and the "Gateway Games Model Manager" script is handling the animations. Do you have a setup that has navmesh agent.desiredVelocity set mecanims (speed,rotation) movements like Unitys mecanim/navmesh demo ?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5328
    or is there a reason this wouldnt work.
    thanks-josh

48. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Your UFPS demo needs to be fixed. When you jump, you go like 60 feet in the air.

49. CreatureSurvive

CreatureSurvive

@JBR games on the ears component make sure the under sensors in your ai character hierarchy make sure "can hear enemy" is not checked if it is checked at the time of spawning it will use the default position which is 0,0,0 causing them to run to that position, I believe the same is true for the eyes. Hope this helps, if you're still havin issues I'd be more than glad to help if I can.

As for your animation issues I would strongly suggest setting up a character from scratch using your own models and import some of your own animations into the animator.

50. JBR-games

JBR-games

@CreatureSurviive
    Thanks for the info ill take a look this evening to see if sensors are set properly.

As far as the animation issues go, if ive read up on it properly, its not bad character setup or bad animations. Its the fact that mecanim is not controlling the character movement ,navmesh is. So navmesh rotates the character and then tells mecanim it needs to play the rotation animation. Where as navmesh should tell mecanim ok rotate this way and then mecanim rotates the character.

I was hoping nikita had some quick work arounds.