Search Unity

Sharing in the cloud :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Jul 29, 2014.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

I had this idea that I might add cloud elements to some of my games. For instance like the Spore Creature Creator which allows people to share their monster creations in the cloud. But I would probably limit it so for example you could only save 2 monsters in the cloud.

Also, I think this is a good way of people paying for online multiplayer games. So instead of signing up on a website, they just download an app and do monthly in-app purchases to play the online game.

Also, if Facebook was invented today, it would probably be an app written in Unity 4.6 with a Google App Engine back-end. (With the new GUI and Unity Cloud stuff why not?)

Probably I will use Google App Engine for the cloud side of things. (Amazon Web Services is beyond my comprehension and Microsoft Azure seems a bit too proprietary). Perhaps when Unity's cloud stuff comes out I could use that (although I have a feeling it may be written on top of Windows Azure, since Unity and Microsoft seem quite close and Azure supports C#).

Have you done any cloud stuff for your games? Are you planning any? It's the future I tells you! :cool:

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Most definately not, it would still be HTML. I am really looking forward to the new uGUI, the videos and descriptions make it look wonderful. But still, no matter how great it is, it still has to be qualified with "for a game GUI". Outside of game development pretty much everything has a superior UI framework. UIKit, the winders stuff, HTML is solid by itself, but there are great frameworks for even that. Even ignoring that, apps that are largely UI are much smaller and faster in native or wrapped html.

Sure, in fact it has been many years since I haven't. We are even now shifting many of our development tools to the cloud. It is pretty slick that Unity is integrating these into their systems, making easier for folks to use. Users sharing content is a great way to drive traffic though virality. I don't know I would say its the future, as it is pretty common and has been for several years, but I would agree that it will only become more common and we'll see fewer games that don't leverage it in some way.