Search Unity

Shadows with custom projection matrix still broken in 5.4.0b1

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by matpow2, Dec 8, 2015.

1. matpow2

matpow2

(originally: Shadows with custom projection matrix still broken in 5.3.0f4)

Hi everyone.

Even though this issue was marked as fixed on the issue tracker, this issue still seems to be in 5.4.0b1:
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...asts-it-when-using-a-custom-projection-matrix

I've attached a demonstration of the issue. 2 seconds after you play the scene, CameraScript will do the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         Matrix4x4 mat = GetComponent<Camera>().projectionMatrix;
    2.         mat.m31 = 0.0002f;
    3.         GetComponent<Camera>().projectionMatrix = mat;
    After this happens, the shadow for the cube object will get offset in some weird manner. Here's a GIF:

This worked fine in Unity 4.6. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Zuntatos likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey.
    The milestone on the issue tracker is wrong.
    The fix is not in 5.3, it went into 5.4. I will speak to the dev and see if its ok to backport to a 5.3 patch release.

Edit: Good news backport should be fine. Ill do it now :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. matpow2

matpow2

Amazing! Thanks a lot for the quick help. Looking forward to the next patch.

karl_jones likes this.
  4. matpow2

matpow2

Just a FYI, the fix is not present in 5.3.1p. Hopefully, it will be present in the next?

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The fix went into 5.3.1, last weeks release. If it is still not working then there is something wrong with the fix. Its possible that there is some element of 5.4 that is needed along with the fix or the fix is missing something. I'll have to investigate next week.

ksam2 likes this.
  6. matpow2

matpow2

Just a friendly reminder: this was not fixed in 5.3.1p2 either.

7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah I am aware it still has issues. Its possible a part of the fix from 5.4 was not backported. I need to look into it.

8. matpow2

matpow2

This issue is still present in 5.4.0b1. I guess the issue wasn't fixed after all?
    You should definitely consider reopening the issue on the issue tracker.

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

10. jpfranssen

jpfranssen

I'm experiencing a similar issue when setting a custom projection matrix. I was wondering if there is any news on this issue.

I noticed that, at least in my case, the shadows break (completely, so no shadows whatsoever) when applying a keystone effect to the projectionmatrix.

After digging and debugging around in the built-in shaders and mainly in the Internal-PrePassCollectShadows.shader (around line 355 / frag_hard) I found that there is no or wrong depth depth info.

Code (csharp):
    1. float zdepth = SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE(_CameraDepthTexture, i.uv);
    2. fixed4 res = Linear01Depth(zdepth);
    Also, and maybe related, I found that when doing this keystone effect camera.actualRenderingPath changes mode from Deferred to Forward? While the camera component in the editor still shows Deferred.

(Using Unity 5.3.1f1, but also briefly tested 5.4.0b3)

11. jpfranssen

jpfranssen

Here's another test project which reproduces this issue. Just change the keystone settings on the script attached to MainCamera. You will see 1. the shadow is gone and 2. the RenderingPath of the camera switches to forward mode.

Attached Files:

deram_scholzara likes this.
  12. matpow2

matpow2

Any news on this? Is there a fix on the roadmap?
    Also, good to see I'm not alone with this bug :)

deram_scholzara and jpfranssen like this.
  13. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Seems like what's happening is that Unity is only fixing the issue for cases which modify specific projection matrix values, rather than fixing the issue for any modification of the projection matrix as a whole. This issue has been around, and complained about, since unity 4.6 (at best) - it's kind of disappointing, but I'm glad that now it seems to be getting significant attention. I REALLY hope that this gets fixed before 5.4.0f launch.

14. jpfranssen

jpfranssen

15. matpow2

matpow2

I can confirm this is fixed finally!
    Thank you Karl and everyone else from the Unity team for working on this issue.

jpfranssen likes this.
  16. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I've tested this fix with Camera Perspective Editor in Unity 5.4.0b8, and it resolves the issue for all of my test cases. There seems to be some sort of issue that pops up causing CPE to occasionally stop working altogether while the fix script is being used, but I'm planning to integrate the patch directly into CPE, and hopefully resolve that issue as part of it.

Thank you Unity!

karl_jones likes this.
  17. sbsmith

sbsmith

I'm using 5.4.0b9 and the replacement shadow script from the issue tracker thread. It solved my problem where shadows were disappearing as soon as my projection matrix became oblique.

I noticed some clipping issues

shadow_map_problem.png

so I cranked up the shadow distance in the Quality settings. But I still notice quite a bit of popping.

shadow_map_problem_2.png

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated. I'm still a bit of a Unity newbie.

Also, I noticed that screen effects like DoF do not work with oblique matrices (even the new DoF from 5.4).

Thanks for the help.

18. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Try adjusting your camera's clip planes.

19. sbsmith

sbsmith

Will do. It may be a while before I get a chance to tackle this. I'll report back when I do.

deram_scholzara likes this.