Search Unity

ShadowPlay not recording games made with Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BreannaGardner, Feb 1, 2015.

1. BreannaGardner

BreannaGardner

I currently use Nvidia ShadowPlay to record gameplay video for my YouTube channel. I have been trying to record videos with ShadowPlay with Kerbal Space Program, and Stranded Deep. Both games are being developed with the Unity game engine. ShadowPlay works on every other game I've played except for games made with Unity. Also I have the Nvidia GTX 850m GPU, and can't use desktop capture mode to record videos with games made with Unity. Desktop capture mode only works on desktop GPUs only, and will not work on laptop GPUs. You can only record in game video with ShadowPlay with a laptop GPU, but it doesn't work in games made with Unity which is very aggravating. Can you please tell me what I need to do in order to record videos of games made with Unity? I believe it has something to do with the full screen mode not being true full screen. Like usually in full screen if you select a different resolution in game the monitor flashes to adjust the resolution, but in Unity it doesn't flash in game when selecting a different resolutions.

2. Angry_Beard

Angry_Beard

Hi BreannaGardner,

Shadowplay only supports DirectX and OpenGL games, and won't work with Unity or other web-base games (like fullscreen browser games that don't support either DX or Opengl).

From the Geforce FAQ:

"ShadowPlay supports all DirectX 9, 10, and 11 based games. In desktop mode, OpenGL games running in a window is also supported."

Hope that helps.

3. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I cannot get ShadowPlay to work with Unity DX11 Standalone games either.

Edit: For me it was driver issues, I believe. After uninstalling all graphics drivers and only installing Nvidia drivers it works.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  4. fadden

fadden

FWIW, if you build the game yourself, you can configure an option in the player settings ("D3D11 Force Exclusive Mode" or "D3D9 Fullscreen Mode") to set exclusive full screen mode. With that done, screen recording with ShadowPlay works.

There doesn't appear to be a way for a game to enable this at runtime, though, and by default the option is disabled ("windowed fullscreen" is preferred). There's a "feedback" item about that here.

devluz and manutoo like this.
  5. devluz

devluz

In case this does't work and you have a laptop switch multiple GPUs: Go to nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> set the nvidia GPU as preferred (or change the conf for your game) then it should work in fullscreen work.
    Not sure if there are similar problems with AMD.

Seems that by default unity games run without the nvidia gpu on laptops ... that sucks :/