Search Unity

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Superflat

Superflat

How can i create an edge glow with a blue color in the shader i currently have? I get the impression i need to mess with my alpha clip more.

Attached Files:

2. BigDill

BigDill

Thank you Ace, Not taken the wrong way, I do understand and I am sorry I needed such basic assistance but it is very much appreciated. I won't ask any non SF questions in the future.

Acegikmo, Zicandar and IFL like this.
  3. KenneyNL

KenneyNL

Not using deferred unfortunately, changing the models of the voxel isn't possible because the effect should be visible on all meshes. Since the game will support modding in the future, it will import user meshes. Not sure what to do with DepthTextureMode reallly - no idea where to start.

4. jbooth

jbooth

DDX/DDY are intrinsics of the graphics card; they give you the partial derivatives of the 2x2 pixel block being shaded, and thus cannot be computed per triangle or even changed by unity. On newer cards there are multiple variants of these functions (ddx_fine, etc), and some older cards do not expose them at all, but they are fundamental to how a graphics card draws pixels.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Can somebody give me a child's guide to DDX/DDY and what they can be used for? Because these things are making me way confused.

6. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

They're used to calculate derivatives (rate of change) of things you otherwise cannot. For instance, if you have a complex vertex deformation, and you then want to have correct normal directions as well, you might be able to do it using ddy/ddx to recalculate the normals.

They're both in screen space though, and basically tell how "How much does this value change, relative to the screen?"

7. IFL

IFL

There's yet another reason why Shader Forge is awesome: you can play around with stuff you have no clue about, just to see what happens. DDX & DDY can apparently be used to make a ball that shows really crappy outlines of everything behind it.
    Ava_Unity_TPose_DDXDDY_Sphere.jpg

8. blizzy

blizzy

Is there a chance to get a facing node to detect back faces so that normals can be flipped? I saw some discussion on another site, but can't quite find it again. It looks like in the generated shader it already knows about which side is which, but this doesn't seem to be exposed via a node.

9. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

You could compare a "dissolve" value with your "dissolve mask texture" via step node. 0 on the dissolve value indicating no dissolve. 1 fully dissolved.
    If you do the same thing a second time but now with an added threshold/offset to either your dissolve value or the texture (depends on where you plug the two into the step function) you will get second gradient. Now you can subtract the first one from the second one and you will receive the "edge" of your dissolve effect.

10. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Can't you already do this with the dot product between the view direction and the triangle normal?

11. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It should be exposed, yeah. I'll add it in 1.18 :)

12. Zicandar

Zicandar

I think unity added this functionality in 5.1? (SV_Facing?)

13. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That is awesome! thanks so much.

And btw... every time I visit this forum I ask myself the same question. Why is people asking Joachim how to to this and that? I think Joachim decided to develop a tool, not to write a shader coding Bible. I think people should learn by themselves the methods and techniques they need for their purposes instead asking here.

14. Superflat

Superflat

@David_MG

In my case, i spend time learning shaders, but sometimes there are deadlines you need to work with and you cant come to a result with limited knowledge and time. The tool is amazing and has taught me much already.

However sometimes there is simply a need for someone to nudge you in the right direction or tell you about a function/node you weren't aware off before. Respectfully, i understand he's made a tool and does his best to support it, but much like most tools on the store (say NGUI at the time) a community of users will form from all levels of expertise. To exclude people is rather elitist.

Perhaps creating a forum for the tool itself rather than a unity thread might be helpful for people to share and help each other? I'm much more in favour of stimulating collaboration as opposed to elitism.

We've all started somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  15. zyzyx

zyzyx

+1 for the forum idea (or a slack chat)

Superflat likes this.
  16. Zicandar

Zicandar

17. blizzy

blizzy

18. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Ideally there would be a Shader Forge subforum. Perhaps I can talk to Unity and get a Shader Forge topic tag in the Graphics subforum?

19. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Graphics subforum would be cool.

20. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

There is the one over here: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/shaders.16/
    But it would be nice to have a topic tag for Shader Forge that people can add.

Superflat likes this.
  21. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Yeah I knew that one. Have seen SF related questions over there and answered one or two of them. But a dedicated subforum would be nice... or those topic tags you are speaking of (though I'm not sure what they are and how to use them).

22. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

There's a tag for UNET now in this subforum. You see it on many of the threads :)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/multiplayer-networking.26/

23. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

There's also irc.freenode.net #unity3d, where I'm almost always at :)

24. chrischris

chrischris

With the nice addition of the matrix nodes, anybody want to take a crack at determining the world position from the Scene Depth value? I've made some attempts based on code snippets found in the forums, but I can't seem to get results that make any sense.

I've been trying the inverse-projection method, using the following to pass in the relevant matrix, based on several of those snippets:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. material.SetMatrix("_ViewProjectInverse", (theCamera.projectionMatrix * theCamera.worldToCameraMatrix).inverse);
    I've also looked a bit at the Unity-provided Global Fog shader & script, but wasn't sure about reproducing the world-position bits in Shader Forge.

Here are some relevant threads:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/world-position-from-depth.151466/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/world-position-from-view-space-position-yes-again.246315/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/recreating-world-position-from-depth-algorithm.263435/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/world-position-from-depth-in-non-pp-shader.212647/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/world-position-of-a-pixel-from-depth-texture.97671/

25. Superflat

Superflat

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! The step node was definitely the one i was after.

Attached Files:

26. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

Could I get some advice on creating a simple waveform? I've searched quite a bit and couldn't find an example of how to accomplish this, so my apologies if it's already been addressed. I'm trying to achieve something like this, by Tomas Sala:
    gauge.gif

or this, by Willy Chyr:
    waterfall-splash.gif

This is the best I've been able to manage, but I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to offsetting the wave over time:
    sine.gif
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  27. IFL

IFL

If you want it to be more of a physically-visual wave instead of just time-based, you need to incorporate (usually add) at least one axis from the fragment/vertex position (UV, local, world, screen, polar, etc) into the algorithm for the wave. Don't forget that you can use multiple waves combined to create a more appealing look for natural effects. :)

28. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

Thanks for the response, IFL. I'm not worried about adding randomness or subtlety just yet though, still working on getting the wave to have... waves! :)

Right now I'm just able to make a flat line go up and down, but I'm shooting for an oscillating waveform. I know it's probably pretty simple but I'm just starting to learn this stuff :D

29. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Hi all.
    Working on a color picker plane.

Q: Why do i have to multiply by 1.2? so the top-right Red color looks right?

Ex:

Thanks,
    izzy.

30. Jesus

Jesus

I think because you're trying to desaturate the color yellow (R1G1B0) and map it to full bright red.

What I think you should do instead is this.
    UV (U) is saturation. Lerp between white and (color) by U.
    UV (V) is brightness. Multiply said lerp from above by brightness(V).
    Grab that, and into emission it goes.

Though, I'm not sure why you'd do it this way? If you want Hue, Saturation and Brightness options available, you'll need the new Hue Node instead of the (color), and some way to move between hues (value).

If you don't want to do it with the Hue node, you'll probably need to cater for cases where the input (color) might be a dark bluish gray or something. Maybe normalize the (color) node (stick a normalize node immediately after it and before anything else) so that it's always got a fullbright value that plays nicely with full saturation and brightness values.

31. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Probably because you don't want to use the desaturate node there. Here's a working version:

sf_newshader_7152015.png

32. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Oh, as a bonus, this will be even more trivial in the next update :)

sf_newshader_7152015.png

Gekigengar, Murgilod, IFL and 2 others like this.
  33. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

Awesome. does that also works as a hue shift?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  34. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Yeah you can plug in pretty much anything in there :)

35. Vladnes

Vladnes

How to get squares instead of circles? I need to have each pixel has black stroke, the thickness of which is adjustable.

36. IFL

IFL

Does this help?
    SF_kyleyoungblom01.jpg

37. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

Yes! Perfect, thank you so much IFL. Adding the panning sin values was what I was missing. Seems so obvious in retrospect. This is very helpful for me :D

IFL likes this.
  38. IFL

IFL

Does this help?
    SF_Vladnes02.jpg

39. Amnoon

Amnoon

Hi guys I am trying to make a fade out effect in my shaders. Basically I want to use a slider from 0 to 1 to controle the opacity.

I thought that using a slider conected to the opacity node it will work but I only get weird results. I have tried a lot of combinations with alpha blended and nothing. Do you guys know some tutorials or some method to do that?

When I use Alpha Blended my shaders breaks

40. IFL

IFL

Pics or it didn't happen. (preferably at 0.25 and 0.5 on the slider)

41. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I think you need to define "weird results"

42. Amnoon

Amnoon

Yes sorry, I have edited the post

43. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

That's a classic issue with alpha blending in almost any engine out there. Simply "fading" out an object is much harder than it seems. This is something AAA games struggle with as well, even released ones have the artifact visible, even though they try to hide it as much as possible.

IFL likes this.
  44. Amnoon

Amnoon

Ah ok I did not know that.
    With the alpha blended mode and a slider connected to the opacity slot I get exactly the effect that I am looking for but I can't fix the strange result of the picture.
    Sooo there is some trick to get some similar result to that fade out effect but with the opaque blend mode or it's impossible?

45. Amnoon

Amnoon

opacity at 0,5

46. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

You could make a dissolve shader: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sh...sed-shader-editor.222049/page-68#post-2047758

Or use dithered opacity clip, look under the blending settings: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sh...sed-shader-editor.222049/page-53#post-1900547

47. Amnoon

Amnoon

48. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Yes, just make sure all sorting settings are set to alpha clipping

49. KaylMyers

KaylMyers

Where did everything end up with creating shaders to work with Unity5's Terrain objects? In looking around, it seems like you need to hand edit the code to get them to work properly, But that was a while ago. Did this ever get integrated?

50. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Not really, no. Their terrain system, is, to say the least, odd.
    You'd be better off rolling your own terrain system