Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. douglasg14b

douglasg14b

Out of curiosity, can shader forge do stencil buffer type things?

2. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

What I don't understand is why you have included two sheen texture samplers - one for the "pattern" and one "sheen" texture.
    The pattern should be enough to get your desired effect. The "sheen" texture is a waste of memory.

I suggest you remove that sheen texture and just use the pattern mask to drive your glow. So everything that happens on the upper part of the graph can be deleted.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Just wondering if anyone has ever created a Skyrim-like flowing water shader.

This is the kind of thing I am looking for, if someone can provide a Shader Forge example like this (preferably with refraction & textures) I will be more than happy to add them to the credits for our next tech demo.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

5. dblincoeii

dblincoeii

Hi guys. Just got ShaderForge a couple of weeks ago and WOW! This is exactly what I needed. Get back to being an artist instead of a programmer. There is one thing I cannot figure out. Is there a way to reduce or increase the intensity of a normal map with shader forge instead of re-creating a new normal map in another app? Thanks in advance for any pointers and thank you for the amazing tool!

6. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

7. RodzGames

RodzGames

Hi! I have an error in my shader. It says I have an undeclared identifier called "indirectSpecular". This error happen when I checked "Lightmap & light probes" in the lighting setting of shaderforge.

I have the latest version by the way. Am I doing something wrong?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Cactus_on_fire; Yes, the norm dir node is used to a create a mask based from the normals. the y projection is what makes it more complicated than just plugging in some height-maps.

dblincoeii you can multiply your normal map by a vector 3, changing the 3rd value of the vector 3 will change the normal-map strength.

9. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

@worldcrafter I posted an example for you in your original thread. Maybe I'm not getting your point but the perturbed Normal Dir node will return the final normal after all your modifications have been done.
    So to clearly separate the base normal affecting the moss' normal you have to do your own calculations and not rely on the Normal Dir node.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Marco Sperling! you are absolutely correct, that is just what i required.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Another my creation made with SF

A simply approximate fluid simulation

Baldinoboy and DMeville like this.
  12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@H92
    Do you only used SF for this?
    Also it can be looking more natural it is looking great and i would like to know how you have done this.
    Maybe you can share your way?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
    FreakForFreedom and DeadNinja like this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

hmmmmmm...........................
    I still need proper version of this shader............I would like to create effects like in this example:
    http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/150SP1/images/examples/displacement/vector_displ_shape.png
    I understand that this version of "alpha height" shader is more optimized, but I have got power-end computer. I don't know how connect nodes to create RBG Vector displacement shader... I should erase "Normal Dir" ?

Texture:

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

a simple question for those familiar with shaderforge: how can i change the scale and position of a texture (UV) from local to world. I have tried using "transform" but it will not plug into uv's

16. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

@DaDarkDragon I don't want planar mapping/projection, I want the texture to operate within its uv's, but with world space tiling and position; if i scale the model the texture will not scale, If i move the model the texture will not move.

This is how to do it with scale

my problem is position​

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

19. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

20. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Flowmaps seem to be very "trippy".
    When using a basic map, and the shader provided in the link, I get it jumping or resetting back to the beginning without completing a cycle.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

How can i sharpen A mask? I want to make it less soft around the edges but not to hard.

22. ksam2

ksam2

Hi guys, I need some shaders like skin or metal or ... for shader forge! Is there any?

23. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Does anyone know how to modify Verts in Shader Forge dynamically via a vertex painter? I am looking to add (when painting the blue channel) to alter the height of specific verts.

24. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Use the vertex color node to read the blue channel, and then multiply that by the normal vector, and a constant (that controls the max length), and plug it into vertex offset

25. ksam2

ksam2

Hi. did you ever work on a metal shader? I yes can you please share one of them! I'm new in shader forge and need to learn how can I build a good meta shader

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can you post an example of metal shader that you want make?

ksam2 likes this.
  27. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Anyone got a realistic-ish "glass" shader in Shader Forge? When I got my new PC I must have lost it, can't find it anywhere.

28. ksam2

ksam2

Something looks quite similar to the iron. something like this gun or its bullets

29. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

This is something you can do without Shader Forge, just use the Unity 5 Standard shader, bump up the smoothness and use a reflection probe. You may need to mess with the levels to get it how you like it, but for something this basic in color, I would not use a separate shader.

ksam2 and Deleted User like this.
  30. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Enable PBR, turn on reflective transparency, connect 0.05 or so into Opacity, and add refraction if you want. Set metallic to 0 and albedo to whatever seems to fit best

31. ksam2

ksam2

I've test Unity 5 Standard shader for days and I'm not happy with the result! It's too simple

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

i think if you get familiar with reflection probes and the real-time GI, you will get very satisfactory results with the standard shader (regarding metal surfaces) providing you have decent normal maps/models/textures.

Still don't know how to sharpen a mask, anyone?

ksam2 likes this.
  33. ksam2

ksam2

Is there any good tutorial for shader forge?

34. DMeville

DMeville

@ksam2

Basic Shader
    Custom Blinn-phong
    Vertex colours

The shaderforge wiki is filled with interesting and helpful stuff too: http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=Shader_Forge_Wiki

Aside from those I recommend just spending some time in shaderforge exploring. Find out what certain nodes do, and try and think through the effects and how they might be composed. You can then always right click a node and select "What does this do" to bring up the node reference. http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/nodes/
    UE uses a similar node-graph for shaders too, so tutorials from there might be applicable as well. Not to mention this thread is a goldmine for learning, you just have to take the time and read some of the old posts :)

Regarding your PBL metallic shader, I agree with the others; The standard shader is very versatile, so with the right lighting, reflection probes, and properly authored maps I'm certain you can get some very pretty looking models. You say "too simple" but that's not a very descriptive way to explain what you're looking for :)

@Labyrith Studios: I'm pretty sure the effect from Skyrim is just UV Scrolling, (Just popped into Whiterun, 99% sure) that's how water like that is usually done, anyways. Probably using a few layered maps panning at different speeds to get some interesting looking highlights. http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=UV_Rotation_&_Panning

Acegikmo and ksam2 like this.
  35. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

None free, I'm afraid, it's very "trial and error" with these things.
    Most of the UDK ones work, the nodes systems are very similar.
    You may also be interested in this:
    http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=Shader_Forge_Wiki
    And this:
    http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/tutorials/

And possibly this:

http://www.gametutor.com/live/tutorials/unity-shader-forge/getting-cozy-with-shader-forge/
    http://www.gametutor.com/live/tutorials/unity-shader-forge/shader-forge-volume-2/

If you find any good resources, please let me know, I'm always looking to further my Shader Forge (and shaders in general) knowledge.

DMeville likes this.
  36. petey

petey

Hey just wondering how Shader Forge fits in with Unity 5.

For example, I'd can make vertex colour shader easily with Shader Forge, but could I make that shader work with reflection probes or baked lighting?

(Also it feels wrong asking this here because there are a million other questions, is there another place I should be posting this?)

Thanks,
    Pete

37. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

@Labyrith Studios hmm... It's probably outdated for U5 then.

38. OnePxl

OnePxl

Do you know of paid ones?

39. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

OnePxl likes this.
  40. plasmabazooka

plasmabazooka

I've searched a lot but could not find an answer.

What about performance for Android?
    I'm interested especially in vertex colors, splatmaps and outlines.

And the second question: is it possible to create a shader like x-ray vision to see objects behind walls?

41. lost_lee

lost_lee

hi Acegikmo and all
    I need a Xray effect like the picture,I tried so many ways with SF, but...
    Please give me some hints..
    thx
    xray.jpg

42. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

There should be an example inside this thread. Basically it involves rendering the mesh twice.
    Since Shader Forge does not support rendering in multiple passes you have to do it using two materials.
    Or you could build two shaders - one for correctly lighting the object in question. And one for the x-ray effect. In the last step you would merge the code manually into a 2-pass-shader.

43. lost_lee

lost_lee

44. kr3d

kr3d

Hello,

I have problem with shader what i made in shader forge.

I create that shader:
    1.png

so tilling of texture = scale of my object and in 90% of cases this work and look like this:

2.png

so i have object with scale 7 by 9 and my tilling = 7 by 9,
    But... In case of position of that object and position of camera, sometimes tilling going back to 1 by 1 like in this case ( i only rotate camera)
    3.png

Another example (Only moving camera back)
    4.png

And in game mode this change tilling too
    What i do wrong?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  45. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

This looks like you are using ProBuilder, if so, it may not be a shader problem but the UV mapping not updating correctly, if you are using ProBuilder (or Prototype) check the UV to make sure it is scaling properly, then we can rule that out and focus on the shader.

46. kr3d

kr3d

Yes i have probuilder in project, but not using it in this case. I create simple plane mesh and manually scale it (Second example was on default unity box).
    Removing probuilder from project not fixing this problem too :(

47. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Ok, so we have ruled out ProBuilder then.
    At first glance your shader does not appear to be doing anything out of the ordinary, but I am attempting to replicate this effect now.
    Can you tell me anything about what is actually triggering this to happen, do you do anything specific for this to happen?

48. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

P.S. How do you make a Shader Forge shader look like the Standard Shader (with the tiny boxes)? I have access to the Standard Shader code but I haven't found anything specific in it to change the display settings.

49. kr3d

kr3d

I normally "create new shader" from shader forge window and start creating shader :)
    Next i attach it to plane:
    5.png

I attach this shader too

I think you can just move object and rotate camera around it and that's all what i do :)

EDIT:
    Hmmm this is weird because in new scene I can't replicate this problem :(

EDIT 2:
    I replicate it - I duplicate my object and shader broke :)

Attached Files:

50. kr3d

kr3d

So how i replicate this

- I create new scene,
    - create plane (GameObject/3d Object/Plane)
    - Set material on this plane
    - Change scale of object to (5,1, 5)

6.png

- all is okey
    - i duplicate object and shader broke

7.png