Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Calibration Scene [5.0 beta]

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by peteorstrike, Nov 19, 2014.

1. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Hello!

We've put together a calibration scene as well as some sample PBR materials for you to test all your new Standard Shader stuff with:

It's available on the asset store here -
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25422

Post as much feedback as you can, we're happy to hear all your suggestions and comments!

2. Axiomatic

Axiomatic

Thanks for this! Are the samples Specular or Metallic Standard Shader?

3. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Hi @Axiomatic!

The samples are all in the new default Metallic Standard Shader.

I also have the same set of materials with values measured and set for the Specular Standard Shader; if there's any demand for them, I'm happy to drop a link to a zip when I'm back in the office!

RUBILYN likes this.
  4. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Awesome asset. Thanks. If there was an 'in game' GUI to allow one to switch out the sample pot material, in addition to via the editor, it'd also make for a great demo.

5. Axiomatic

Axiomatic

Thanks Peteorstrike, this is a very helpful and valuable addition to our calibration workflow.

6. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm not exactly sure what are you supposed to calibrate using this scene. Can someone please explain?

7. Axiomatic

Axiomatic

For us It is just a consistent environment to test and refine our various texture maps.

8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

You could probably make something like that using the new UI system, with zero code. :)

seattlebluesky likes this.
  9. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

That's a great idea! I'll see if we can get a little time to implement that for the next update.

As @Axiomatic said, it gives you a consistent base to check various graphical elements - you can test shaders and material setups under one stable lighting setup, you can see how different skyboxes and cubemaps work in-scene and whether they've been exposed or post-processed optimally, you can load in phototextures and check their values against the calibration gradients, you can test image effects and tonemapping settings on a baseline scene setup, etc. there's probably more uses but those are a few off the top of my head!

RUBILYN likes this.
  10. artzfx

artzfx

Thanks for this scene, it will be very useful.

11. RUBILYN

RUBILYN

HI ! THANK YOU DEEPLY SO MUCH FOR THESE ASSETS !
    There are sooo many Different Calibrated materials in this package that is a invaluable resort to do complete entire scenes ...

Hey can you please Drop a Link with The Specular Material Calibrated Values ?! Pleasee !!

Specular pbs materials are the most difficult to tweek will be extremely amazing to have them !

THANKS SO MUCH !

K

12. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Hi @3DLABS

I'll make a zip file of the Specular versions when I'm back in the office tomorrow for you!

Roni92, RUBILYN and Devil_Inside like this.
  13. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Cool - I'll give it a try when I get the time to after the next few days, hopefully.

Thanks for all the effort and progress you put into the Beta since the preorder release. :)

14. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Just a note to say that Peet has pushed an update to the package that contains Specular versions as well now. Check the asset store link for updated version shortly, if not now!

jashan, Roni92 and elbows like this.
  15. Alex-Some

Alex-Some

Thank you. Good scene.

Can you provide information how to use this scene for testing materials? What is purpose of black grid? How to use grey pattern and colored circle?

16. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Hi @Andrey Kopysov

Most of the scene elements are there to be used as visual aids for multiple purposes and I'm guessing people may find different uses for each of them.

We plan to have a short video showing some of the ways to use the scene but for now you could see the black grid being used to test shadow directions and distances from light rigs, feed back on lens-based effects such as bulges, lens distortion, aberration, light incidence, etc. It's also useful as a relatively neutral background to work against. Elements such as the colour wheel provide constant reference values for both texture colours and material colours, regardless of how you set up lighting and skyboxes.

Generally speaking the real use of the scene is to give you the same starting point for each material and effect you make, and give you something consistent to work with. We're hoping to add more features to the scene over time to make it even more useful, so let us know if there's anything you feel would be useful!

the_motionblur and jashan like this.
  17. Indoorsman

Indoorsman

There is something wrong with the current package (version 1.2, updated Jan 5th) ... fails to decompress... When I look at the contents of the .unitypackage file by using 'tar' there are extra files named the same as the directories that appear to be causing the issue.

18. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Would it be possible for you to share what OS and beta version are you currently running? I can't replicate the issue in b18 but there are some strange issues in b17 on both windows and OSX.

I'll get a zip with the assets and project settings here for you in a moment, if it helps test it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  19. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

20. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Since you are looking for feedback. I just remembered that in University one of the things that helped me the most with understanding materials in rendering was a test scene with roughly 20 materials as examples in different variations. These spheres had a lot of different material types to see how each would be set up in the program (like metals - copper, gold, brass etc. or plastics and glass).
    Since the PBR workflow is now getting much closer to the rendering world maybe a few examples with isolated preset valuesmight help people better?

21. elbows

elbows

There are a bunch of example materials, both metal/rough and spec/gloss, included with the calibration scene.

peteorstrike likes this.
  22. adventurefan

adventurefan

I had that same problem. Tried other assets and they're importing fine so it's just that. On Windows 7, beta18.

Downloading the zip and making a new proj for it is fine though.

23. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

There are currently two versions of this on the asset store, 1.2b and 1.2c. The b version is in "Unity Essentials/Sample Projects" and c version is in "Complete Projects". I couldn't decompress the b version but the c version seems to be working. Maybe remove the b version?

24. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Well spotted! We recently shifted the official Unity projects over to a new category on the Asset Store but it appears to have caused some problems when we update them. The Complete Projects version is the one to use for now, whilst we work out what's broken with the new categories.

makeshiftwings likes this.
  25. unicat

unicat

Asset Store doesn`t proper update this pack. Everytime i start Unity it goes back to version 1.1 .