Search Unity

Setting the vertical size of a Sprite object equal to the vertical size of a TextMesh?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tytbone, Apr 17, 2015.

1. tytbone

tytbone

I'm trying to create a background color for a TextMesh (to make the text easier to read against the main game background) which involves re-sizing a separate white gameobject/sprite to fit the size of the TextMesh.

I seem to be able to get the horizontal/x size correct but for some reason the vertical/y size never matches up with the vertical size of the TextMesh; it's always too high or too low, seemingly never equal to the bottom-most part of the TextMesh. (I assume there's something wrong in the calculations or a better way to do this.)

Shown on the attached picture, I would like the white background to line up with the bottom of the text.

I've experimented with various code but this is what I currently have:

1. public void ShowDialog()
    2. {
    3. ...
    4. Vector3 punkTalkPosNew = new Vector3(punkDialog.transform.position.x, punkDialog.transform.position.y, 0);

5. dialogBackground.transform.position = punkTalkPosNew;
    6. dialogBackground.transform.localScale = new Vector3(punkDialog.renderer.bounds.extents.x,
    7. punkDialog.renderer.bounds.size.y, 0);
    8. ...
    9. }
    Originally I was just drawing the text in Photoshop and have it show up as Sprites; should I stick with that instead? Or what's the best way to go about this? Thanks.

(PS I'd post this on http://answers.unity3d.com/ to avoid bothering forum-ers but my past questions have never received any responses there.)

Attached Files:

• text.jpg
      text.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  2. tytbone

tytbone

I guess I'll stick to using text created in Photoshop (for now) since I know how to do that, but I'd still appreciate somebody trying to explain what's happening here.