Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious game (driving / traffic)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dacloo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. dacloo

dacloo

Hi!

We're gonna put a new serious game live soon, which is all about driving safely in traffic. This simulator is all about speeding, but also checks for other basic stuff like ignoring red lights.

It's not a game that has a very uniqe art style, but I think does the job well when it comes to mixing entertainment with the serious message, which was the priority of this project.

The idea is to pick up people somewhere in Westerdam and bring them to their destination. Obey the traffic rules but also try to reach your destination as soon as possible. When you drop someone off, you will need to answer a question.

After three pick-ups you'll get a summary of your journey, and quite possibly a lot of traffic tickets :)

The game is Dutch so I hope you'll figure it out!

Go check out the preview on:
    http://www.verkeerstalentofgeleprent.nl/

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Fantastic stuff! Loved it! :) I think I'm probably a wanted criminal in the Netherlands now, I lost count how many tickets I got! :D

3. Zante

Zante

Nice, but doesn't work in chrome. The webplayer might have a few warnings which tends to make Chrome stop running the plugin.

4. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Nice work! It's a fun little educational game! Even though it's Dutch, I was still able to figure things out for the most part. I had no idea what the end question said, but I guessed it right. :)

5. oxl

oxl

Was fun ;-)

--
    oxl

6. 7loop7

7loop7

stresfull and cool as real driving, I really enjoyed it! :D

7. Denham

Denham

Hello,

My name is Andre Denham and I am a research assistant and PHD student at Arizona State University in Tempe Arizona. My research group is currently working on a serious game that will hopefully teach the users of the financial and ecological costs of the various transportation choices that are commonly used by students who attend our school (Light Rail, Car, Bus, Walking, and Bicycle). We are avid users of the Unity3D engine (which we are using to build our game also) and we stumbled across your Drive Safely game within the Unity forum. WE LOVE YOUR GAME!!!! You have created an environment that closely mirrors what we want to our game to look and feel like.

I am inquiring to see if it would be possible to provide us with either a copy of your project folder, or any scripts, models, assets, etc. that you could provide. The research that we are conducting is funded by a grant and our funds are limited but we would be willing to purchase a non-commercial licensed version of the game (which would include the project folder files) if that is what you require.

We are educational researchers and so our expertise lies in research and not necessarily game development (though we are getting better at that). We are not building a game to make any money, but to conduct research. With that in mind, it would assist us greatly if we could somehow see how you built the driving game. This would allow us more time to spend on our research and less on development.

I hope to hear from you soon!! I tried sending this through the Sticky Studios Website but there was an error. Hopefully this works!

Thanks in Advance,

Andre

lolitalola likes this.
  8. Denham

Denham

I forgot to put my email address.

Andre (adenham@asu.edu)

9. Yorick2

Yorick2

congrats on the launch...

Nice to see some more dutchies in the showcase section :)

10. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

Thats nice! how did you do the vehicle's? some kind of AI behind it?

11. dacloo

dacloo

We've built a system where you simply add nodes and you can say "I want to split the node in two road parts here". Same with intersections. You edit stuff like curvature, road types and the road is automaticly generated for you based on these waypoints.
    Then you can drag a "traffic controller" onto a waypoint, and set its properties, like traffic light types, red/green speed, etc.

When you press 'generate', the traffic lights are placed automaticly, and the traffic light system (which determins wheter a light should turn red or green) works automaticly. A more complex setup auto-generates two lanes.

The AI anticipates on these settings and moves accordingly. To keep it running fast on lower-spec machines they now move by simple transformations (they lack a rigidbody, until you hit them).
    (We'll look into physics later, e.g when driving over a bump).

12. buandaki

buandaki

Do you license this system? It is exactly what my group needs for an educational game we're working on.

13. Lukas H

Lukas H

Nice game! Surely you must have a some sort of cheat-mode so we don't have to obey the traffic rules? :roll:

14. motorway

motorway

Looks very cool! I want to make a tram sim like this :)

15. Tysoe

Tysoe

for some reason the web player crashes here. Bit of a shame as I was looking foreward to trying it.

I tried IE and Chrome browsers and web player 2.6.1f3

16. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Crashes here too on IE. Pitty

Tried at least 10 times

17. scarpelius

scarpelius

Also crashes on Firefox.

18. MosEisly

MosEisly

LOLOLOL this game is great haha. Is there an English version?

19. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Please correct the error making it crash on multiple browsers of testers.

20. mpark

mpark

Same here. We're working on a car simulator for a master's thesis experiment. Any chance we could see this?

21. kin

kin

I think this would be MUCH easier to use if it supported joysticks/steering wheel. I have a hard time making turns at >30 km/h without wildly veering all over the road.

Fun besides that tho.. :)

22. Gikki

Gikki

Hi dacloo,

mate that's some pro stuff man :) loved it !!! i like roaming with giving indicators ....

well dacloo i am making a simple game in which i can can drive.... well i just wanna know about AI spawning thing, do you make spawn points on the map and make trigger for them ... like if i reach a spawn trigger then an randomly selected AI will get spawned on the point and start running from there......

other question is that does your traffic has rigidbody in them because i read somewhere that people just make the vehicles run on the waypoints without rigidbody to save computation(increase speed of game). And they rigidbody awakes only when a player car hits them otherwise they are in sleep no physics i mean ......

23. kenshin

kenshin

Really nice!

24. harpian

harpian

Loved it wish i knew how to make such a game, im wanting to make some transport simulators but very novice at moment.

25. glass22

glass22

Very nice.

But the NPC cars crashed into me a couple of times, and pulled in front of me.

26. Prestigeindustries

Prestigeindustries

i couldnt play cause i dont speak that language :(

27. BRIK

BRIK

Cool game although it would be cool if the current limit was shown in the first person point of view.
    Also maybe some way to look around (left or right), would be nice in situations where you need to give way at an intersection.
    In the first person point of view, I kinda had to take a risk when turning into it an intersection because I couldn't see any cars coming both ways.

28. XshotofdeathX

XshotofdeathX

Great game,I love it!:D :cool:

29. lolitalola

lolitalola

hello I'm student , i need a help if you can! .Is there an asset store for this advergame ?