Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking honest feedback and/or reviews for my PlayMaker beginner course

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Stefan-Boeykens, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Stefan-Boeykens

Stefan-Boeykens

I've created an introduction to Game Mechanics using Unity and PlayMaker. I've published it on Udemy, an online platform for paid (and sometimes free) courses. While I used to publish on Youtube in the past, Udemy courses are better structured in courses/lectures, with notes, feedback, downloads and (basic) quizzes. The learning experience is better, IMHO.

My concept: skip art, fx, sounds, fancy GUI and focus on the basics: game mechanics with simple geometry (a capsule and a few cubes). I'm using PlayMaker which has boosted the speed with which I'm able to develop concepts. I've published a chapter on something like Flappy Bird (physics, spawning objects, moving and detecting collisions, but also keeping the score) and added something like Break Out (moving a paddle, bumping a ball, hitting bricks and knowing when all bricks have been collected). It is meant to start from scratch, with nothing to download and working step-by-step, but I've added a small package to load my final result in Unity & PlayMaker.

So far, I try to get the course become successful and ensure I can create new courses in the future.

The course is $39 at the moment, but here is a link for $9 if you are interested.

https://www.udemy.com/create-flappy...-playmaker/?couponCode=flappy-mechanics-for-9

I believe it is structured well: logical lecture order, conclusion after the first chapter and a few quizzes, but I'm thinking on the next steps. And I could use a few reviews, to help boost the course up a bit.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Stefan - My honest feedback on the course is I don't want to pay to review your course.
    It'd be nice if you could give out something similar to steam keys for people who'd like to offer you some honest constructive feedback on the course.
    Maybe offering a condensed version or the first 10 minutes on youtube for free is a good way to get some constructive feedback.

Edit: I just watched the 3 minute demonstration video and your delivery looks good. Possibly a little too fast, may want to explain the concepts of the decisions you make and the actions you take in a little bit more detail. And the displayed keystrokes are displayed very quickly, but I think the timing is alright.
    Nice work overall, thanks for posting.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Stefan-Boeykens

Stefan-Boeykens

Thank you for your reaction.

The demonstration video is like a condensed version of the course. But I agree. You know that there are a few free preview videos available before accessing the course?

Speed: I got somebody having the same remark. It's kinda funny, as my students from my university course from two years ago complained about the speed being too slow.

If you want to do a more thorough review, PM me for an access coupon.

4. Stefan-Boeykens

Stefan-Boeykens

The course is doing fine on Udemy so far.

If there are other people interested, you can still access the course through the above link (not sold out, yet), but you also contact me directly if you want to discuss it.

5. Stefan-Boeykens

Stefan-Boeykens

There are still a few coupons left, so grab the course if you're interested. 30 day money back guarantee and yours to keep, even if new content is added in the future.