Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Secure Deployment on Pro

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by marty, Jan 25, 2006.

1. marty

marty

I'm curious about the "secure deployment" that we get with Pro, or more precisely, about the "unsecure" deployment that we get with Indie.

While I understand that Indie projects are "parsable" when delivered as stand-alones, are they also when posted on the web? That is, could someone download the Unity .app file for my online Unity goodies, open the package file, and reap my scripts and assets?

2. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

If I'm not mistaken the only thing they can ever get at are the scripts, your graphics assets are always protected. Jeff

3. marty

marty

Thanks Outcast.

If that's the case, I'm still curious about my scripts - are they viewable in web-deployed Unity Indie projects?

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unity always uses a closed format when deploying games, making it very tricky to extract data from your game. Thus you might say that both Unity Pro and Unity Indie currently support secured deployment.

Of course with .NET (and Basic, and Java, and Flash, and all bytecode based systems)people can decompile the code. Decompiling is a lossy process: comments, local variable names and local structure is lost. But the overall structure and property names are visible. Note that even secretive Microsoft doesn't regard this as a problem for .NET.

But we intend to keep working on this, and so Unity Pro will in the near future further hide the game code from view.

Regarding the web-player: yes it is just like a standalone in this respect.

d.

5. marty

marty

Thanks, David.

So, just to make sure I have this right, the scripts in my Unity web apps are only going to be obfuscated if I author in Pro.

And, the obfuscation wll get better in future releases of Unity.

6. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Correct on both accounts...

d.

7. dacloo

dacloo

So where are we now on this matter?
    As Unity is used by the big boys, this can't be ignored. Basic one-click ubfuscation is something I'd be very interested in...

8. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Interested in this too.

Anyone from the US military serious-gaming circles can pitch in about this? Curious to see how you guys got the certification... (if it was part of it)

On a side note; Must had been something talking directly to the CEO of Unity for support-related question... those were times! (yes I know, he is an ex-dev...)

9. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Do scripts still get obfuscated in pro builds? If not is anything being done to at least get variables and local methods etc renamed?

10. sonicviz

sonicviz

afaik scripts never were obfuscated in pro builds, and nothing has ever been done.