Search Unity

Seashine - Can you survive the abyss?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by pated, Oct 17, 2014.

1. pated

pated

WEBSITE
    | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

RELEASE DATE: AUGUST 23, 2015
    iOS / Android / Fire OS
    Join the Beta by clicking here.

Dear Unity community and fellow Unity game devs, let me present you Seashine, a poetic journey into the abyss.

This very first game of mine will let you play as a fragile creature struggling to maintain its fading light alive in this dark and cruel underworld. Explore as far as you can using your logic and your survival instinct.

The game was expected in September but I had to delay it so I could add more content and most importantly a new game mode with a lot more levels! No precise release date yet but I'm aiming for the end of the year - early 2015 in the worst scenario!

Seashine will be available on iOS and Android. PC and Mac versions might be released later in 2015.

For gif lovers, more of them here.

Thanks for checking out Seashine! I'll be happy to answer your questions if you have any.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    one_one, Slaghton and randomperson42 like this.
  2. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Great art style, I love it.

3. Sykoo

Sykoo

This looks so beautiful!

4. Foestar

Foestar

Wow, I love it so far. Amazing work! Keep it up!

5. giyomu

giyomu

Looking good so far ;)

6. janpec

janpec

Fantastic!!!

7. inko

inko

That big fish in the 3rd gif looks so freakin cool!
    Definitely gonna check this out when it comes out for pc.

It doesn't really look like it takes place underwater tough. The atmosphere almost reminds me more of outer space then the deep sea. Maybe you should consider some kind of distortion screen effect on the edges or something like that?
    Just my 2 cents, keep it up!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. pated

pated

Thank you all!

Thanks for the advice inko. :) That's very interesting because there really is something extra-terrestrial/from outer-space about the abyss. Watching footage from Nautilus Live is like watching the live stream of a probe exploring a new exoplanet.

But to be honest, adding this kind of distortion effect would be too heavy for the minimum targeted mobile devices. The optimized bump mapping + point light (not very appreciated by older devices) is already taking a lot of processing. The game gets an average of 35-40fps on iPhone 3GS and iPad1.
    But I guess for a PC/Mac version it will be no problem! (+ dynamic shadows) :)

janpec likes this.
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Wow I never knew the abyss was so,,, blue! :cool:
    It looks cool! I like it. Especially the animations.
    Adding to inkos comment maybe you could add some other types of visual aids that say under water. My first thought was bubbles that appear and float up in certain areas. Just an idea.

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

We need more like that , a game in the category of non realistic gorgeous graphics :)

11. LightSource

LightSource

One thing I noticed besides the incredible assets and lighting was the really amazing animation. Well done!

12. janpec

janpec

Yep thats what makes it very nicely fluid. Its same as Limbo, while graphical style is quite simplistic eg linear colored, good animations make very good ambient!

13. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

amazing work! amazing art! very impressive!!!

14. pated

pated

Thank you so much guys, that really means a lot to me.

I'll sure take a look into that. There are already floating particles but it might not be enough. Some bigger bubbles here and there won't hurt the fps. ;)

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is what we can a great indie game definition :
    - great and original lightening , models, colors style
    - good work on details like really good animation
    - not overdetailled models but instead a very readable levels and animated models, understandable at first look.

Keep it up.
    (will you plan some little webplayer demo for us to enjoy :) ? )

16. randomperson42

randomperson42

Looks fantastic.

17. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

Beautiful

18. laurelhach

laurelhach

Really nice and polished game.
    Good luck !

19. pated

pated

Thanks all. :) Here's a fat fish:

@zenGarden: Big thanks. Sorry, no webplayer version until the PC version (if there is one, need to be confirmed)! I really hope Seashine will be your new zen garden. ;)

zenGarden likes this.
  20. pated

pated

After all this time, I have finally switched to Mecanim... and it's very awesome. Bye bye legacy animation system (well, except for simple animations).

And also, you can now hide inside of things and move with them. Very practical ninja jellyfish skill in some situations.

Mister-D likes this.
  21. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Would add a little suspense if that mean ol fish would chomp! when he gets close or as a last lunge attempt.

Do the controls change when you are inside an object, feel less responsive?

Awesome work!

22. jkarateking

jkarateking

Game looks good. I like how it works.

How much will it cost when it's released on iOS?

23. pated

pated

Thank you both!

Thanks for the advice. There is an animation with the anglerfish trying to bite his prey when he is close enough but it wasn't coded at the time I made these gifs. :S I agree it definitly lacks some big chomps here and there. ^^

The controls don't change when your inside of objects/debris. I really want to keep it simple! It is harder to swim in the direction you want and as fast as you want though. :)

The game will be available for free on both platforms, using a light free-to-play model.

24. jkarateking

jkarateking

Ok cool.
    Please don't make it 'pay to win' as those games really annoy everyone.

25. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

What you are saying is do not lock core game content behind a paywall or am I mistaken?

@pated - Your game looks awesome!

26. jkarateking

jkarateking

Yeah thats sort of what I am saying

HeadClot88 likes this.
  27. pated

pated

Don't worry, I'm also a gamer and I also had my experience with abusive pay-to-win systems. I can assure you there won't be any pay-to-win mechanism locking your progress in any of my creations.
    Nothing should ever block you when you have serious skills in a game.

@HeadClot88 - Thank you communist Dr House! :)

Zeblote likes this.
  28. pated

pated

I grew up on a small Polynesian island and you'll have to deal with it in Seashine!

29. pated

pated

Anyone able to tell me what you'll have to do to collect the light of these weird plants? Come on! It's easy! ;)

30. laurelhach

laurelhach

Shake it!

31. SteveJ

SteveJ

Beautiful looking game - can't wait to play it.

32. janpec

janpec

Keep up good work. I would really love to see this game expanding into several hours of gameplay.

33. pated

pated

laurelhach likes this.
  34. pated

pated

Hi everyone,

I'm coming back with two good news.

• The first one is the release date for Seashine. The game will be available for free on iTunes, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore on August 23, 2015!
    • Secondly, the Beta is now open to everyone until we reach the maximum Beta invitations available for each platform. So if you want to join and be among the first to play the game, click on the image below and fill the form! The invitations will be sent between the 10th and the 13th depending on your chosen platform.

RavenOfCode, theANMATOR2b and Serinx like this.
  35. pated

pated

Seashine is finally available on Android! But the iOS version will be released on September 3rd. Important issues had to be fixed. :S

More info in this new release thread!

Zeblote and RavenOfCode like this.
  36. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Love the art style, and the gameplay looks quite fun. I will definitely check this out and get back to you on my opinion. :)

Good job on this it looks great! :)

37. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Me and my son (age 7) played the beta. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't understand how to send comments through Test flight?
    My son had some very minor comments, but he continue to play it for about 15 minutes beyond when I had to get back to work.
    I didn't think the things he mentioned warranted posting on the forum so I just let it go.

I loved the lighting and atmosphere. Very appealing visuals.

38. spryx

spryx

This really looks incredible! Great job!

39. Sykoo

Sykoo

Very nice visuals, easy to use controls and you get adapted very easily with the mechanics of the game!
    I really enjoyed it!

40. pated

pated

Thanks for the feedback and kind words!

If you have any suggestion don't hesitate. The game will continue to "grow up" after this launch, adding to new places to explore, new creatures to play with, new abilities, etc.
    By the way, many players have requested a zen mode (without the scoring and the lifebar). It will be added to version 1.0.1!

@theANMATOR2b: Thanks for trying the iOS beta! Please send your feedback to feedback [at] seashinegame.com. ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  41. Zeblote

Zeblote

Does it have some kind of ending? Like, escape the deep sea by finding a way up?

42. pated

pated

No, not in this version!
    During its early days of development, Seashine was designed as a level based game with try'n'die and puzzle mechanics.
    Late 2014, because of limited time and budget, the game changed into an endless style gameplay mixing survival and simple puzzles.
    I've decided that Seashine would be first released in this format to gather attention and funds to allow the development of a level based/story driven sequel for mobile and desktop platforms. Fingers crossed!

theANMATOR2b and Zeblote like this.