Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Seamless Textures + VARIANTS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by p6r, Jul 19, 2015.

1. p6r

p6r

The most packages have one tile for each kind of texture. It's why I wanted to make seamless textures + VARIANTS to avoid "monotony".
    I have an original texture and I add, delete, break,... small or big parts of it to create VARIANTS.
    So, the wall or the pavement or... isn't the same overall.

Do you think people could be interested in these textures + VARIANTS ?

Here are some examples :

2. p6r

p6r

I can do these Variants with these more cartoonish textures :

6R

Arkade likes this.
  3. Serinx

Serinx

This is a good idea, although most of the time people wont notice subtle differences. How about a separator e.g a pillar which could be inserted every 4th or 5th tile. The breaks would also be more obvious if the original texture was cleaner and more intact. At the moment it's like "smashed wall" - "slighty more smashed wall". It would be good to have "Brand new wall" - "Smashed wall".

Textures are looking nice anyway :)

4. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot for your very interesting comments.

6R

5. Cascho01

Cascho01

I am in general very highly interested in this topic:
    We produce ArchitectureVis and ALWAYS have problems in covering big areas with grass, pavement, ....
    As you describe, as long as there´s only one texture used we get that ugly repetitive tiling effect.

I think you need something like an algorithm that does the variants for you.
    Substance Designer has one, but in the end it only produces ONE texture again.

I am really surprised that there seems to be no product that provides a solution to create variants for covering big surfaces "On the fly" , at least I don´t know any.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. p6r

p6r

You' re right : something like an algorithm could be great for me... and others !

Even if I don't have to make a lot of efforts here : I made them with Genetica and in a few seconds I can render another one and another one...

As you can see here I have worked further on my files and I have found this interesting cartoonish Metal render from a simple texture to a very complex one... to destroy (in one click !) if needed !!! ;)

6R

IndieAner3d likes this.
  7. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

It is looking pretty good. I have one question do you have any plans on making a dark-colored volcanic rock texture set. I am not an artist so textures are my worst enemy. I am currently working on a platformer and am working on a volcanic mining level. I am not sure if you take requests for textures. No matter what you make next I am already glad to buy your package and support your releases. Keep up the good work.

8. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot.

Why not ?
    I need more informations about your wishes. Do you have any examples on the web I could see ? Or do you already have some textures from your game to adapt my textures ? Resolution ? ...

Contact me private if you want : pcizaire at hotmail dot com !

Other variants : Distortion and another color !

6R

9. DuffyT

DuffyT

This looks very nice! I like the ground textures. I've been searching for something similar for my own game. Did you draw these yourself? Any tips?

10. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot...
    No, I'm using Genetica to make all of this automatically. It's why I can make changes very quickly and without having to draw them again and again.

As you can see here I can change the ground file very easily : simple or complex, with any shapes,...
    I can "dig" the stones or add parts.

6R

IndieAner3d likes this.
  11. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I am currently out of town. Taking a nice relaxing down time. When I get back in town I will gladly send you a private message with example art from my project with resolution examples.

12. p6r

p6r

No worry... You contact me when you want and if you want !

Here another way to work : First I'm making a Texture then I use it within shapes.

6R

IndieAner3d likes this.
  13. Arkade

Arkade

Nice! Like, especially the more cartoon ones. Kind'a reminds me of one of my favourite assets "Pacific NorthWest Forest" which I need to get more of. Whaddya think. Viable?

14. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot.
    You're right : This environment is wonderful !!!

I can make/reproduce a lot of styles and this one isn't very complex. I have made these ones quickly for testing. Is it what you are looking for ? You can download them and test them in your scene ! AlI can be modified here : lines (design, thickness,...), colors,...

On the store I can't see them enough to know how they really look like. So, could you copy the textures, add a watermark or cut a part and send me private the different files ? (pcizaire at hotmail dot com !).

I wonder if it isn't better to simply make them with a shade of grey/white colors to allow the user to change colors by himself directly in Unity ? Try with the Grey texture and let me know...

6R

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Arkade likes this.
  15. p6r

p6r

Maybe it' more this kind of texture with normal or dynamic Outlines, with bevel or flat !?!

6R

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Arkade likes this.
  16. p6r

p6r

Here is an example with the Ferr2D Terrain Tool using one texture (128 x 128) and 3 modified (texture) sprites placed in front of the wall :

6R

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. AnthonySturdy

AnthonySturdy

Would I be able to use some of these for my game? They're very nice.
    Mainly interested in the 3rd and 4th one you posted for a dungeon I'm working on :)

18. p6r

p6r

Thanks...
    Yes, you may use them.
    6R

19. Arkade

Arkade

Hey, wow, yes those are gorgeous!

(Sorry for delayed response -- I'm not great with forums!)

Yeah, the depth (bevel) and shading on the second lot are super. I wonder if one could keep that beautiful cartoon quality while using normal map, etc to enable lighting? (Not required but awesome if possible, don't you think?)

With regard to black and white option, yeah it's a tricky one. Am I right in thinking that to get different customizable colours (like yellow and brown, above) you'd need a custom shader? (I could write.) As an example, for those you posted, I imagine people would want sandstone with pale mud or granite with dark mud, etc if you see what I mean.

Hmm, perhaps we could do something by separating the colour channels for the different colours? (E.g. use variation in red for stone tops, variations in green for mud sections. Customizing would then be add simple as fiddling with individual channels in an art package! ... Or at runtime with a shader.) Just thinking aloud here :)

Anyway, I'd love to try some of these out! I'll post some in-game screen shots.

Btw, what do you think you can do in a winter theme? Cracked ice, etc? Or urban or factory environments? (Yeah, pondering which levels I should build next :D )

20. Arkade

Arkade

P.s. just spotted the difference for dynamic outlines. Yes, much nicer!

21. Arkade

Arkade

P.P.s. just reading this thread, I wonder whether your lovely textures could go PBR? I'm not sure what that would mean (not done any PBR yet myself) but perhaps sobering to consider? Do you know much about this?

22. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot.
    I don't know if this kind of "cartoon" textures needs PBR !?! They don't have to be realistic !?! Is it not the aim of PBR ?

I add here other textures for your tests with a normal map (from the first one) directly made in Genetica too.
    And a grey one to test various colors. (I can separate the ground and the bricks !)

6R

23. p6r

p6r

You don't need any specific shader I think !?! Simply change the color in the already Unity included shaders...
    Or change the color at runtime !?!

(If you are not great with forums, contact me private...)

6R

24. Arkade

Arkade

Yeah, that's fair... I was just thinking about their response to day/night lighting. (Like I said, I'm not really au fait with the whole PBR revolution yet :) )