Search Unity

Scripting for looking at an object long enough to trigger an event.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by drewnashty1937, Oct 13, 2015.

1. drewnashty1937

drewnashty1937

I'm not real familiar with the lingo for scripting and i'm sure if I knew the correct word to search for I would find what I'm looking for. What is the language that will trigger an event after you look at the object for a few seconds?

I'm trying to create a Gear VR Drive in theater and when you look at the theater screen for like 3 seconds it will load a full screen video. I read that you can't have a movieTexture in a VR environment in Unity so I figured I'd just make it load a new scene where the movie is in full screen.

2. drewnashty1937

drewnashty1937

So I think I may have found what I am looking for but I need some help tailoring it to OVR Camera as I'm getting a "NullReferenceException Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error. And I think it's because I'm not using the standard MainCamera.

Created a JS with:

Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    2. //Type the name of the scene to load in the inspector.
    4. var MovieTestScene : String ;
    6. var hit: RaycastHit;
    8. function Update (){
    10. var ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (Input.mousePosition);
    12. if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0)){
    14. if (Physics.Raycast (ray, hit , Mathf.Infinity)){
    16. if (hit.collider.name == "ViewScreen") { Application.LoadLevel(MovieTestScene); }
    18. } } }
    So the Console error points to line 10 which is:

var ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay ...

What do I need to change in here to reference the Camera of the OVRPlayerController, I tried changing "Camera" and "main" to OVRPlayerController and OVR CameraRig but that didn't fix it