Search Unity

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. poppgames

poppgames

Hell Flipbookee, it has been some time since I last posted. I should have some more time coming up to test Si3 some more. Also, has Bete4 become available?
    I might have broken my local build trying to edit the files. I removed the inteleSense for "Array".oops

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@poppgames Sorry man, I missed your post somehow... Beta 4 is not ready yet, it needs a few more final checks and then I'll pack it and send it out to all of you guys. I'll try to speed this up a little bit now that I have a bit more free time.

I've fixed a couple of problems related to auto-completions on arrays so it might have been broken in beta 3 already. Can you revert your changes? Do you need the beta 3 link again?

3. poppgames

poppgames

I should be good. I still have the link in the email you sent.

4. Breyer

Breyer

Not sure if it was mentioned or known but i found bug i think:

create field like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static Texture2D curveKeyframeTexSelectedOverlay;
    then copy/paste line
    modify copied line

now SI3 dont recognize original field

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I don't know think it was mentioned, but it's fixed in Beta 4 :D

Thanks for reporting it!

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome!
    Now that Unity has made Unity Pro almost practically free in Unity 5...
    I can finally try out SI3! :D

I think you don't need to consider backward compatibility now Flipbookee.... at least not to Unity 3.5!
    Every asset developer can now develop on latest Unity 5 as baseline.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    OnePxl likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@I am da bawss: That's exactly what I was thinking too! Thanks for confirming that and welcome back! :D

But I think I'll keep it backwards compatible with Unity 4.0 anyway because there's no reason for me to limit it more than that.

8. jshrek

jshrek

Hi

Is there a trial of any kind for Script Inspector 2 to see if I like it or not?

Also, will it be free upgrade from SI2 to SI3 if purchased SI2?

Thanks

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jshrek: Thanks for your interest! I'll PM you in a minute ;)

Yes, upgrades from Si2 to Si3 will be free! It will be still the same asset on Asset Store and you'll just download a newer version.

EDIT:
    Hmm, seems like I'm not allowed to start a conversation with you... Then you'll have to PM me.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. jshrek

jshrek

@Flipbookee - I started conversation with you. Thanks

11. Mattoishi

Mattoishi

Just got SI2, and it's amazing.
    Now I see this and it looks triple amazing!

@Flipbookee may I join the beta?

Also (couldn't find if you answered this earlier) what's your timeline for a final release?

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Mattoishi Thanks man! :) Sure you can, I'll PM you in a minute...

I've finished the last fixes for Beta 4 over the weekend. Currently I'm verifying is all the GUI still working as intended... Then I hope Beta 4 will be the last version distributed to this closed group, and of course if you guys agree the next release will go straight to the Asset Store. :cool:

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Si3 is quickly getting stronger these days! There's been some delay in releasing Beta 4, but trust me, you won't be sorry at all once you get your hands on it. :)

On the other hand, today at work Visual Studio was driving me mad, it simply doesn't know how to filter completions like Si3! Then it started changing its dark theme to light, all by itself! I was turn it back to dark but then Visual Assist didn't fully register that, so it was putting its light background behind light text! Turning off and on Visual Assist was fixing that temporarily, but it was coming back again and again! :mad:

And, like that wasn't enough it started lagging when I type, letters were showing up with half a second delay... Normally I would just smash the keyboard :p but seeing VS acting up like that was making me happy actually. I didn't restart it, I just wanted to see how far will it go... Eventually it crashed :rolleyes:

The-Oddler likes this.
  14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Uh... sounds like a virus!
    I mean, getting slower and settings changing by itself just sounds incredibly suspicious....

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, it sounds suspicious, but it's a huge company armed with the most skilled IT team I've ever seen. I think it all started when I changed VS settings in one instance while there were other instances of VS running.

16. jshrek

jshrek

SUGGESTION:
    When SI3 is ready for the Asset Store you should modify it's title slightly to something like:

Script Inspector 3 with Advanced Enhanced Pro Console

I have spent quite a bit of time searching the asset store and the title is the first thing I read to see if it meets what I am searching for. When you search for "console" in the asset store, SI2 comes up but is way way down the list AND it does not even have the word console in the title.

The console is a powerful feature of SI2/SI3 and it would be nice to see you get some extra purchases by including that as part of the name which will draw more people to look into it further.

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. brandc

brandc

Hi,

Is it possible to get a trial of either SI:2 or SI:3? Looks amazing and getting sick of MonoDevelop! If i buy SI:2 do we get the 3 when it's released?

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, Si3 will be a free upgrade from Si2 :) - I'll PM you in a minute

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jshrek Yeah, that search there is weird, but it might also be because the console is not its main feature. It's powerful and unreplaceable but it's kind of shadowed by its main feature ;) and much better ones are still coming :D

Thanks, and I'm glad it works well for you!

20. brandc

brandc

Awesome, just brought SI:2 and it's amazing!

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, you did? I was just about to send you a copy! Thanks a lot!!! :)

Well, PM me your email then if you wanna join Si3 beta.

22. OnePxl

OnePxl

I've got a feature request: I want to be able to jump around to previous places I've edited things in a document. I just read you use your own undo-buffer, could you use that to jump back through the locations in the undo-buffer, without undoing any of the edits?

Flipbookee and I am da bawss like this.
  23. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I think that's a great idea! I second that. I too would love to have that feature - it would be easier to trace back what you have done (or done wrong).

Flipbookee and OnePxl like this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@OnePxl, @I am da bawss Yes, I miss something like that too! I often do a Undo followed by a Redo to jump back to my last change, but that's limited to only the last change... I can easily add a shortcut (any suggestions?) which does that with the same limitation. Just that wouldn't be enough, I think... And using the undo buffer to go deeper than the last change would be complicated because the positions stored there are relative to the content of the text buffer, so if the text buffer doesn't change in parallel while you go back those positions would be wrong and slightly offsetted by the length of the inserted or deleted text. The chain of saved positions would also be limited to work within one file because undo buffers for different files are not connected to each other in any way.

A better and IMO a more useful functionality is to have Go Back and Go Forward functions, similar to what VS and MD have. These should work across multiple files as a single list of positions for all files. It would also remember cursor positions even to locations where no change was made, and of course, as you go back or forward switch to different files when needed. The positions history buffer would have to get updated after each edit so that all positions which are below the inserted or deleted text will get adjusted... I was planning to do that since I introduced the code navigation bar, and somehow I haven't done that yet :p but it's an extremely useful feature so hopefully right after finishing Beta 4 we will also get this.

25. Callski

Callski

I know you've been working hard on this asset and make some AWESOME progress. Any idea when you think you'll be ready for release? Do you think it will hit the asset store by the end of May?

26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I think it will be released by then. I'm just packing the Beta 4 now and I'll be sending it to all of you folks :D I bet you'll be surprised how good is this now compared to Beta 3! :cool:

Breyer likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, finally Beta 4 was sent to (I hope) all of you guys! :cool:

Please let me know if some of you didn't get the email, and I'm looking forward to see your comments. :)

28. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's weird I stop got alert about thread updates, since the beginning of march, everything got very quiet to me, no alert for all my thread and my followed threads, alert only works for newly watched threads ...

First bug report : Theme not working correctly (Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro skin, win8 x64)
    - Changing theme from MonoKai to Tango Dark, SI3 theme change to dark correctly
    - Change selection (select another file), SI3 theme change back to light
    - The option still being at TangoDark

Tell me if it's clear enough for you :)

p/s : Now it get really funny, all the post above from Mar 6 now got marked as new after I reply in this thread :D There must be something wrong with the forum !

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  29. jshrek

jshrek

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @thienhaflash! I see, it doesn't work for selecting a different theme for text files only. It always reverts back and uses the theme selected for code... I'll fix it ;)

31. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

And seems that SI3 does not play well with Visual Studio 14 with UnityVS v2, I can not find a way to open any file in VS, it always open in SI3.

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah no, there's an option to enable or disable that in the wrench menu. Just turn it off if you prefer that. If not then you can always switch from Si3 to external IDE with Ctrl+Enter (Cmd-return on OS X) ;)

33. cavila

cavila

Running on OS X 10.10 + Unity5: I don't see a difference when switching between DejaVu Sans Mono and VeraMono. Other fonts work fine.

Thank you for moving the project to the Plugins folder! I don't understand why most other asset devs don't do it. It shaves 90% of the build time for all projects.

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That might be because the fonts are similar, one of them is an evolved version of the other one. But I'll check, maybe I missed something...

35. cavila

cavila

On an empty project I imported SI3 and created a C# file with the default name "NewBehaviourScript". The following warning appeared:

I was able to reproduce the message by deleting the script and creating it again. It doesn't seem to affect functionality though.

36. Xeir

Xeir

Hah, guess I'm not the only one that wasn't getting thread notifications. In any case, trying out the new version now.

Did notice something right off the bat. The window tabs shift wherever an SI window is docked. Intentional? Move the mouse from the SI edit window up to the tabs above and they will shift to right a few pixels after a few ms, then bring the mouse back down to the edit window and they will shift back to the left after not quite a second.

37. kdubnz

kdubnz

Without going too far off topic,
    Where did you get UnityVS V2 ??
    I only see Version 1.9.8.0.

38. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I usually do this, but now, it's not possible anymore (VS2015 preview). Might be related to how UnityVS changed the way to open external editor to be VS ?

It's being v1.9.8 on Microsoft's site, but on http://unityvs.com/news/ It's v2.0 preview. It's actually v1.9.8.0 on the change log (http://unityvs.com/documentation/changelog/#1.9.8)

39. kdubnz

kdubnz

Thanks ... I had a small moment of happiness until you smashed it :)

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @cavila for reporting this! :) That's just a Debug.LogWarning message coming from my code and it's safe to be removed, so I'll do that... Although I tried to repro it but it doesn't happen to me.

And yes, warning messages and even exceptions thrown from the code analysis scripts will not do any harm and there will be barely noticeable difference or no difference at all. This is necessary in order to keep the functionality of the rest of Si3 unaffected because some of that is sensitive and critical for the safety of your changes made using it. Still, please report all such messages or exceptions because that's the only way for me to see them and fix them ;)

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@thienhaflash I'll check that, thanks! Does it work okay if the option to always open in Si3 is disabled?

@Xeir Yes, it's intentional and meant to help us see the script name when it doesn't fit in the tab title. If it fits there might be a "off by one pixel" difference in how Unity draws the tabs and how I do that, so that's why it moves by a little bit only - that's not intentional.

Did anyone notice any difference in semantic analysis? There were some huge improvements in that, so if no one complains I'll assume that part is fine? :p

Did anyone try or find the "compile in background" option useful? This is only enabled on Windows for now. I couldn't get it fully working on OS X yet.

42. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Currently I have no way to open a .cs file in visual studio from Unity but remove SI3. Note that the previous versions work fine as of I aware ...

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Right, there was an issue in my code... I just fixed it and updated the beta to version Beta 4.1 and I've sent you all the download link :)

I've also fixed the issue in selecting a different color theme for text files (@thienhaflash thanks for finding that too!).

Enjoy!!! :cool:

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, you were right. There seems to be no difference between the two except that DejaVu font has a lot more of unicode coverage than VeraMono. I know that at least cyrillic characters are missing in VeraMono and Greek might be missing as well. So I think I'll just remove VeraMono as it is obsolete now, DejaVu is much better than that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  45. Kadaiyen

Kadaiyen

@Flipbookee really enjoying this extension, it's miles better than monodevelop. Some notes:

- Code folding: This one's a must, eventually. Any plans?
    - I notice when you dock an inspector window Si3 is using, the width of the text doesn't update until you resize the docked window.
    - The gear settings button allows me to change fonts when using a dedicated Si3 window, but not the inspector.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Killcycle, thanks for your feedback! :) Yeah, MD is not its competitor anymore :p

Yes, I plan to add code folding. I had to fix other more important issues first and that's why it hasn't been done yet.

I haven't noticed any issues with docking. I tried to repro the issue, but I'm not sure I understand how to make that happen. Can you explain please?

Correct, I have very limited control on what I can do with the gear button in the inspector because that's the original one that's built into Unity. Luckily, changing the font is not something you have to do every day so it doesn't matter too much :p

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, did anyone notice that tooltips on static fields and properties now show their values too? That also happens for non-static members of object instances derived from ScriptableObject (such as MonoBehaviour) :cool:

48. poppgames

poppgames

Script Inspector 3 Beta 4.1 is a big improvement. I:)
    I noticed that the inspector does not detect errors in implicit conversions which cannot be done.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Transform resetTransform
    2. Vector3 resetPosition;
    3. int lives = 3;
    5. void Start()
    6. {
    7. resetTransform = transform;
    8. resetPosition = transform.position;
    9. }
    11. void Update()
    12. {
    13.   if(lives <= 0)
    14. {
    15.   ResetLevel();
    16. }
    17. }
    19. ResetLevel()
    20. {
    21. //This is, as we all know, correct
    22. transform = resetTransform;
    24. //This is, as one my accidentally code, incorrect, but no red squiggly
    25. transform = resetPosition;
    26. }
    I just though I share this with you.

This error also occurs when trying to perform operations too.
    error CS0019: Operator `-' cannot be applied to operands of type `UnityEngine.Vector3' and `UnityEngine.Transform'

49. poppgames

poppgames

Well then, I found another bug.

Having two semicolons next to each other causes everything else to be an error.

int number = 3;; <-- error causeing

50. Kadaiyen

Kadaiyen

Very cool. And no worries about those little notes, I'm just keeping track of any quirks I find for you :)

I wanted the VS Dark theme, so I went ahead and edited in a quick version myself - I'll PM you the block so you can add it, if you like. I noticed when editing the containing file, whose size is > 7,000 lines, Si3 was pretty slow (which, really, is not a typical script length and so isn't really a huge problem). It's perfectly snappy for my normal scripts.

Also, I noticed when I started typing out an attribute immediately above a list, Si3 will hang for a few moments or crash the editor trying to handle the error. It seems it *really* doesn't like the first opening bracket.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015