Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SarperS

SarperS

Kinda like "Peek Definition" from the Visual Studio but better than VS's peeking at the definition in a "picture in picture" style. Great addition, thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  2. Korindian

Korindian

@Flipbookee Yeah I've been keeping up with your threads daily, so I've seen that you've been working on Rename... but I just wanted to give you a little nudge :)

As far as syntax highlighting goes, I use a modified "Son of Obsidian" theme, but I'm constantly tweaking the colors. Since I'll be staring at code for a long time, at least it should be visually appealing to me and it should be easy to distinguish things. I spent so long trying to find a way to have colored methods in Visual Studio until I finally found an extension which did that.

But lately VS2015 takes such a long time to open... and I'm itching to get using all the features of SI3, but I'm constantly renaming things, so I'm just waiting for that primarily.

And I'm talking about the CG part, though I'll be learning Shader Forge soon, so the syntax highlighting for that isn't really a priority.

Just wanted to again show my appreciation for your dedication to SI3 with constant updates.

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. SarperS

SarperS

A complete implementation of shader features is #1 on my features wishlist right now (CG highlighting, auto-completion both locally and for includes, ability to go to the CG documentation for cg facilities, error highlighting, code generation from the properties and vertex/fragment structure/function generation). Closely followed by code and region folding. Refactoring is of less priority to me for I can fire up VS/Resharper to do refactoring and formatting once I'm done working on the actual code. I want to pay for these features but @Flipbookee won't accept it :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, I pushed a small update to 3.0.12 this morning, now the version available on Asset Store is 3.0.12f so please update again. :rolleyes: Sorry, a tiny bug slipped in.

Ah yeah, I suspected this must be the case, hehe :p

:D

Well, if you really insist... nah, we'll get the shaders completions anyway ;) but code and #region folding will happen first.

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

In all the rush to fix those issues ASAP, I forgot to say:

Thank you all for making 2015 the most successful year for Script Inspector and I wish you the 2016 to be even more successful for you and your projects! (which is, of course, a natural consequence of doing your programming work in Si3, hehe :p, but yeah, just saying:))

johanneskopf, SarperS and Novack like this.
  6. SarperS

SarperS

Hey @Flipbookee guess I found a bug. I have a private string variable named "name" in a sub-class. Trying to find all it's references result in the listing of all the fields named "name" in the results window. Also doing the same on some other fields result in seeing some comment matches even though the comment option is toggled off.

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Sarper Soher, I'll check that! Can you please verify are the comment matches maybe in an inactive #if code block? The code in those blocks is not parsed and it may look like a comment match in the Results window when it's actually an inactive code match. Switching off the "#if" toolbar button should remove those results as well.

I'll check is there anything wrong with the references to fields...

8. SarperS

SarperS

Yep, they are active and compiled.

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, that's not good... It's going to be a long night for me, seems like :p

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

oh... I'm "money hungry" now? :confused: o_O

upload_2016-1-11_21-8-53.png

EDIT: Well, reading it again and again, I still think it's a damn nice review! :D

Thanks Lawrence! :cool:

11. Novack

Novack

Oh lordy, once more, again and again, idiots like these prove that the rating system is flawled.

Tinjaw likes this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, it's all very nice written and explained. I don't want to offend anyone, I was just shocked that price may lead to dropping a star. :) The negative star should actually go to the Canadian government for keeping their currency at so low level for the last year :p

I often think about the price as it may be too high for certain markets. If I could, I would set slightly different prices for different markets, but that's not possible at the moment. I've tried going with a lower price in the beginning - $35 but that was giving wrong impression that this is just a toy made over a weekend or two, while it has actually taken three and a half years so far. Asset Store's recommend price for very advanced extensions is $100+ so with the current price I'm violating that :p

Tinjaw likes this.
  13. BigToe

BigToe

Currently I really enjoy SI3...I was just wondering if there is a good way to rename fields similar to how MonoDevelop does it?

Thanks

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@BigToe Not yet, this is what I'm currently working on. That's the Rename Refactoring feature that will come in the first next update! :)

There might be another small update eventually if I have to fix the Find All References first. Rename relies heavily on Find All References so I have to be sure that part is working flawlessly ;)

johanneskopf and BigToe like this.
  15. BigToe

BigToe

Great. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

16. SarperS

SarperS

Some people just don't understand how much billable man-hours you've poured into making Si3 and how you are actually losing money even now and it's just a labor of love. I bet you would make more if you did freelance work in your free time all those years. 15 USD and not per-seat hmm, well I wish I could get free meals, pay %10 of my current rent etc. because houses and meals have been around for thousands of years... It makes me upset when people don't understand the value in stuff. They deserve doing all their work in Monodevelop. Unity is free, products in the Asset Store are dead cheap compared to what we had say 5 years ago and people will still ask for more.

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

:D

Well, we live in a really strange world...

Anyways, I've looked at those suspicious references to the field 'name' - it turned out they were shown in different color than the real references, at least in my case. This is due to those symbols not being resolved properly, which is a different issue that I'm still looking at - implicitly typed parameters in nested lambda expressions doesn't work for some reason. Since those occurrences of the 'name' symbol in code were not resolved, Si3 takes the safe approach and displays them as "potential" references.

I haven't been able to reproduce the comments bug yet, so I'll give it another try later today...

18. SarperS

SarperS

Yep, same here, different colors. Another strange thing is, the wrongly listed "name" field references are 1) In UnityScript 2) In the editor assembly. Maybe related to the bug somehow?

Flipbookee likes this.
  19. SarperS

SarperS

Upon trying it again, this one was completely my mistake. They weren't compiling due to #if directives as you've mentioned. Sorry for wasting your time :(

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No, not a bug. UnityScript and Boo code does not go through code analysis phase as with C# code, so all the symbols in them are not resolved. Therefore Si3 will list them again as potential (unverified) references... What might be missing in the References window is a button for hiding unverified references. I can add that if you guys think it will be useful?

No worries, everything was tested simultaneously ;)

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ouch!!! :eek:

I did a quick calculation and summed up all the money Script Inspector has earned so far. It's quite a lot of money actually - almost $20K :D so maybe I really am "money hungry" :rolleyes:

I've also counted 190 weeks of work put in its development so far, or since it all started in May 2012. This is not counting your time spent helping me, of course ;) - only mine... So, I've been working sometimes more and sometimes less, sometimes even 80 to 100 hours per week, and sometimes maybe only 10 :p and my fair estimate is 25 hours in average per week.

Continuing with the calculations it shows I've been earning $104 per week in average :confused: or only $4 per hour :oops:

Pretty sad results at the end, I have to say. I knew it will be a low figure but I didn't expect to be less than $10 per hour... And I didn't even count the money spent on equipment.

Moral of the story: Go for McDonald's - you'll maybe have less fun but you'll be earning twice more ;)

johanneskopf and Novack like this.
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

On the bright side, Script Inspector has so far earned $20K more than MD, VS Community Edition, and VS Code all together! :D (of course, MD is not something someone would ever pay for, but I'll count it in :p)

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Just to clarify - the nested lambda expressions work just fine! :) The issue I was looking at was for a very specific case only for implicitly typed parameters on lambda expressions whose body is just a new object creation expression :confused: - still investigating - will be fixed...

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

To all of you who are new to Si3 let me just tell you about these two great features in Si3 that are kind of hidden and you may not know:

- You can right click a log entry in the SI Console and then see and quickly jump anywhere deeper in the call stack - not only at its top as you're used to that with standard Unity Console window :cool:

- At any time while browsing or editing code in Si3 you can easily switch to your external IDE with Ctrl+Enter (Cmd-Enter on OS X). The same script at the same line will open there, so you can set a breakpoint or maybe continue editing there :)

A friend of mine started using Si3 more than a month ago and he loves it, of course, but I just realized he didn't know about these tricks, so I thought it's worth mentioning them here... Enjoy!

JoeStrout likes this.
  25. SarperS

SarperS

The cheat sheet begs for a second page filled with all these tips & tricks

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep! I'll do that :)

SarperS likes this.
  27. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Are these menu items shortcuts displayed like "Close Tab _#%w" really unavoidable? This has become the thing that bugs me most about Si3. I can't even remember what all that stuff means.

Of course I found it in the docs... But according to those, it shouldn't have both an underscore (which means no modifiers) and modifier codes. So I guess this should be "Close Tab #%w". I thought maybe this is why it's displaying incorrectly. But I tried it that way, and that doesn't appear to work at all.

I found this in the release notes for 5.3.0:
    But it seems like it's more "broke" than "fixed". I know this isn't your fault, but you probably understand better than I do... What is going on here, and when can we expect it to display properly again?

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout, that's a bug introduced in Unity 5.3.0, most likely related to that "fix" and I was already bitching about it in my post here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...-upgrade-from-si2.138329/page-26#post-2430404 :p

In Si3 version 3.0.12 this was kind of fixed by using string injection on Windows and (sadly) by removing the shortcuts on OS X. Are you seeing that in Unity 5.3? Because you shouldn't with the latest version of Si3... Please upgrade to the latest Si3 if you haven't done that yet - one of the fixes in it was a very critical one!

Now I know not displaying the shortcuts on OS X is not a nice solution but I thought that's better than displaying those control characters. I guess an even better solution would be to show the shortcuts in some form anyway, so let me check how can we do that. They can't be aligned to the right as usual, but instead they will follow the text of the menu items.

Good news is that this seems to be fixed in Unity 5.4.0 beta 4! :D At least that's what the release notes say:
    I'd still have to update Si3 code to support that fix ;) which I hope will happen by Monday (if I finish the rename feature by then).

Novack and JoeStrout like this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

johanneskopf, SarperS and Novack like this.
  30. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey flipbookee,

I forgot to ask, what do you use to make your gifs?

Thanks,
    jrDev

31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @jrDev, I use LICECap from http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

I'm using it on Windows but they say it works on OS X too. It's very simple and effective, and the best I've found so far. :) It doesn't offer any fancier options, it's just pain simple application, but that's enough for my needs.

crafTDev likes this.
  32. SarperS

SarperS

@jrDev @Flipbookee If you need something a little bit more advanced with other features like video and screenshot capturing give ShareX a try. It's free and has everything a screen capturing tool requires I can think of and more.

crafTDev and Flipbookee like this.
  33. Novack

Novack

As screen capture app goes, I changed ShareX by Greenshot. Got tired of the annoyingly repetitive update dialogs coming up: ignoring the "not now" and re appearing 10 minutes later, and worst, half the times the updates messed my saved imgur credentials. Dont like when an app gets updated really often, specially for a little app that's supossed to just stay there silently...

Anyway, Greenshot is awesome so far, with a smaller footprint as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    crafTDev likes this.
  34. crafTDev

crafTDev

Thanks for the software tips guys!

Thanks,
    jrDev

35. Novack

Novack

Just a little anecdote.

The past days, while contacting clients and looking for work, I got back to a project of mine. Its a game I have been working in short bursts for the past few years. The game is small, but the Unity project is about 1.3GB: assets, tests, old scenes, new scenes, deprecated stuff and whatnot.

The thing is that the environment became unstable and crashy to a point in which after getting an editor crash 3 times in a row, I decided to prune everything I could until getting an stable worskspace.

One of the things I removed was ScriptInspector3 (an outdated version). So I was left with no option than to use MD. I used to feel comfortable with MD. So after all the updates and love it received from Unity, I was expecting to feel ok.

It was not the case. And,

So I thought "hey, wait, now Visual Studio integration is out of the box in Unity!". In fact I have a VS Professional 2013 installed, so I went ahead and tried it. Oh lordy. Awfulness. Over complicated stuff for every single step I did. I took half an hour to customize the editor to my use, and still was feeling out of place.

So I decided to update Unity to the latest point release, removed a bunch of stuff from the project, and... 10 minutes later I was back installing the latest Si3.

What can I say? Im home again!
    Be careful when using this editor man, is a one way ticket :)

mcmorry, Flipbookee and punk like this.
  36. SarperS

SarperS

Am I the only person here who actually enjoys working in Visual Studio (with Resharper)? :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. Novack

Novack

I used to, when working with other engines. But now it feels like a clunky beast. Getting back to it after some time, it feels like the options are arbitrarily distributed, sometimes simple things like changing the theme requires google searches. You scale the font with standard crtl+m.wheel, but the hints and intellisense won't, so you have to dig in the options. You want to use the context menú, and is cluttered with stuff you barely use... I know what you mean, it can be a very nice tool, but after using other smaller and affective tools (even MD), getting back to it can be very unconfortable. I reckon, giving it a week or so, I may end getting the hand of it. Its pretty subjective.

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

For me it takes 30 seconds to start VS and about 5 seconds to load my project. With Resharper installed it takes a little bit longer. With or without Resharper it's also lagging a little bit when I edit my huge scripts, although that's not always too bad and I can easily adapt and accept the small lag.

My trial for Resharper expired two days ago, so I'll have to remove it now which may make it a little bit faster ;) but I'll definitely miss finding hidden heap allocations in it! That's an amazing feature and I was using it for a couple of days to optimize the most performance critical code in Si3 :D. Now that my favorite feature is gone I have no choice than to add the same thing to Si3 :cool:

I also have to admit the autocompletion with Resharper was much nicer than the default one in VS. This is not an issue for me because in Si3 that's even better :p but finding heap allocations is something I can't live without anymore. Just out of curiosity I clicked the Buy Resharper button - 129 Euros plus tax for only one year!!! :eek: And the required better hardware is not included in that price ;) - so "money hungry" :p

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Is it like you enjoy using that even more than Si3? If yes, I'd really like to know what's that that makes it enjoyable and it's missing in Si3 :)

40. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Bad news for today, I'm on lastest 3.0.12 Unity 5.3.1 windows x64

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    4. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.ProcessEditorMouse (Single margin, UnityEngine.Event current) (at Assets/_Template/ThirdParties/ScriptInspector3/Editor/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:5075)
    5. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUI (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/_Template/ThirdParties/ScriptInspector3/Editor/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:4487)
    6. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUIWithAutocomplete (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/_Template/ThirdParties/ScriptInspector3/Editor/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:2866)
    7. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.OnWindowGUI (UnityEditor.EditorWindow window, UnityEngine.RectOffset margins) (at Assets/_Template/ThirdParties/ScriptInspector3/Editor/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:2722)
    8. ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/_Template/ThirdParties/ScriptInspector3/Editor/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:1169)
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, thanks @thienhaflash! This is same as the one you reported earlier and I fixed it, but the fix hasn't been released yet. It's a very rare crash on mouse-click in a specific tiny region on top of the code view and it isn't easy to reproduce... Fix will be released soon.

42. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

This comment inspired me to take another look at Si3 and compare it to Visual Studio + Resharper to see what I would actually miss at this point.

One issue that persists with Si3 for me is the color scheme.

I love Visual Studio's dark color scheme, so I sought to recreate it. The one included with Si3 looks quite off. Immediately, I noticed that the background color is too dark. To fix this, I took a screenshot of Visual Studio and brought it into Photoshop to read the color values so I could modify the included color scheme to match.

What surprised me is that the values were the same. The Visual Studio dark background is RGB 30, 30, 30, as is the Visual Studio Dark theme included in Si3, but Si3's background is being rendered far darker.

It appears that an RGB value of 30, 30, 30 is rendered in Si3 as an actual RGB of 3, 3, 3 (according to Photoshop). Put another way, an RGB value of 97, 97, 97 renders at 30, 30, 30 in Si3. Is this a known issue?

I'd love to use Si3 with an accurate Visual Studio Dark theme to make the transition as seamless as possible.

Thank you in advance!
    - S.

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

There is a known issue related to Color Space settings of the Player. In some Unity versions Gamma color space makes the colors displayed in Si3 to appear correctly, while Linear messes them up so they are all slightly off. This was reported to Unity as a bug by @Adam Buckner about a month ago and I don't know if there's been any progress on fixing it so far...

One other thing that can be done is for me to try to find a workaround for the issue. I'll do that!

Can you check is the issue going away after switching to Gamma color space? The colors should exactly match the ones in VS, so much that it will make it hard for you to know what application you're using ;)

If that doesn't change anything then please post a screenshot here...

S_Darkwell likes this.
  44. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Six other missing features that I notice are:
    1. Collapsible regions (this is a deal-breaker for me)
    2. Comments that begin with // TODO aren't highlighted
    3. Unnecessary namespaces aren't ghosted out
    4. There are no (underline) warnings regarding variables that are never assigned
    5. There are not (ghosted) warnings regarding variables that are assigned but never used
    6. When scrolling in Visual Studio, the scrolling always ends with a line of code fully visible. In Si3, it may be partially cut off on the vertical axis.
    Additionally, even through I'm using the same font in Visual Studio as I am in Si3, I also cannot seem to match font sizes between Visual Studio and Si3. When I resize Si3's font, it either ends up slightly larger or smaller than I seek.

I also notice that scrolling in Si3 is much slower than in Visual Studio (2 lines per "click" of the mouse wheel versus 5 in Visual Studio), even though Visual Studio's font is a tiny bit larger in this case. I don't consider this inherently better or worse, though I would prefer Si3 to scroll a bit more quickly. Is this tweakable?

To be clear, I can see the immense amount of effort that has gone into Si3. You've created an amazing asset that few could ever hope to match. I only mention these details as a Visual Studio user who would love to transition over, but just cannot get himself to make the leap yet.

Thank you so much again! Be well!
    - S.

Flipbookee and iamsam like this.
  45. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Thank you for the prompt response!

I never would have thought that setting would affect Si3, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense!

Changing the Player settings to "Gamma" fixed the background colors, but the foreground colors remain dim. Also, unfortunately, my projects require Linear color space, so a work-around would be greatly desired!

Here is a screenshot of the difference between Visual Studio and Si3 with my color space set to "Gamma":

Thank you!
    - S.

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Novack

Novack

Scrolling was desperately slow for me on Si3, until I found an option in the preferences "Smooth Scrolling". I unchecked it, and now life is good.

Flipbookee and S_Darkwell like this.
  47. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Thank you for the tip! Yes, I already have smooth scrolling disabled. It's more a matter of how many lines are being scrolled at a time versus any sort of input delay.

- S.

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  48. iamsam

iamsam

Completely agree, ++1 for those suggestions :).

Flipbookee and S_Darkwell like this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I see. Maybe a workaround for that is also needed - I'll check what can I do.

Mouse wheel scrolling is completely handled by Unity's legacy GUI there and that doesn't allow changing any of the parameters unless I use Reflection similarly as I do that in the auto-completion list popup. It's slow for me too but my touchpad adds some kind of inertia to it so it isn't too bad. But sometimes the touchpad driver would crash and then the inertia disappears, so it's really hard to scroll. I thought that's just my driver doing weird stuff, so I never tried to tweak the scrolling speed...

So, I'll add a setting to specify the number of lines per mouse-wheel scroll :) or otherwise it's too bad if you have to turn the smoothing off because of that only! Smooth scrolling is great and so much easier on eyes. Or is there any other reason why you guys had it turned off?

Novack and S_Darkwell like this.
  50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, I know. I started working on that before releasing the last version, but there hasn't been much progress since then. I'll continue after releasing 3.1...

The other day I was wondering why people always ask about code folding? :p I've been programming for more than 3 decades and I never used that even once. I find it strange that parts of the code will be hidden when I actually want to see the code and to be able to edit it easily, not to hide it only to have to unhide it again a bit later. Isn't it just easier to leave it expanded and let scroll outside of the view? I must be missing something here. Also, everyone else I worked with is never using that feature! And I have worked with many many people... Someone enlighten me please! :)

Other than that, I understand it's some people's style to use that, so it has to be added as well ;)

The additional highlighting options for TODO in comments and ghosting out the font for unnecessary code can be easily added. (after version 3.1)

I haven't noticed that, possibly because I like my scripts to always end with an empty line. But I'll check, thanks for noticing this!

Yeah, that's because Unity only allows integer font sizes and nothing in between that. Also different fonts have slightly different sizes. There's nothing I can do about that.

:cool:

Thanks man, that was a great feedback! Very much appreciated! :)