Search Unity

Screenshot Creator - Create screenshots at any resolution within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkArts-Studios, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

It's a pleasure :)

Yes the entire point is that you don't need to open photoshop. Thank you for letting me know the cause. Is it all post effects created by post-fx-studio or do some work and others not?

2. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

I have tested it with anti-aliasing before the very first release. I will double check this again. Thank you (again) very much for reporting this!

3. kenlem

kenlem

No, none of the effects from post-fx-studio show up at all.

Arggg.... latest version won't let me take large caps anymore. I got an out of memory error and another error about file could not be read. I was just capturing big images fine then updated to the latest and it won't work.

4. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Oh no @kenlem ! :(

Regarding post-fx-studio: I will look into this asset and see what I can do!

Regarding large caps: I have, since receiving your message, done a fresh install of Screenshot Creator on both Unity Pro as well as Unity (free edition) and have been able to take large (incredibly large) screenshots without failure.

I will continue monitoring it though, especially memory consumption (in case there is a memory leak) however the changes I made for this patch were, in the grand scheme of things, relatively minor and I truly doubt they could have caused breakage. I'm not dismissing this, I'm just unable to reproduce it myself and will definitely watch it closely!

I will probably purchase post-fx-studio myself (since it seems quite a nice asset anyway) and diagnose this further after I have done so.

5. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Screenshot Creator v1.2.2 is live, changes:
    • Fix a memory leak introduced during the previous fix for flickering windows (duh!!! SORRY EVERYONE!) (@kenlem )
    • Added the ability to resize the preview window while I was fixing that code, even though meant for a feature release this was trivial so I added it while doing this update (@sloopidoopi )

6. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

I have tested this thoroughly with Screenshot Creator v1.2.2. Anti-aliasing (pro-script as shipped with Unity's standard Pro Image effects) definitely works.

7. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Super cool!! This improves the usabillity a lot. Many thanks!!!:)

DarkArts-Studios likes this.
  8. jellybit

jellybit

Anti-aliasing won't work for me either. I even tried deleting all quality settings except for the highest one with 8x anti-aliasing. There is definitely a problem here, and it's pretty unfortunate because this aspect is pretty major for my style of visuals (3 color art with a big focus on using the line renderer). This was a major feature in my mind when I purchased. Please look more into this. Here's a screenshot if you want to see the bug in action, and here's a screenshot of my Unity settings.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  9. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @jellybit ,

Thank you for the detailed information. I had (incorrectly) assumed both yourself and @kenlem were referring to anti-aliasing as a post-effect rather than actual quality settings (which somehow missed testing). I have already corrected it (see screenshot below) however I'd like to run this through more testing before submitting an update to everyone so I will not be updating this right now, however expect to be able to download an update with anti-aliasing working within 24 hours of me posting this answer.

One important note: This feature will ONLY work on Unity 4.2 or higher, not (unfortunately) for those of you using Unity 4.0 or 4.1.

Example showing this now works within Screenshot Creator on my development machine, you will receive this update shortly:

Edit: Planned for emergency hot-fix v1.2.3 release ( https://trello.com/c/Dr8GFO3O ).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    jellybit and hopeful like this.
  10. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Emergency Hotfix (v1.2.3) has been published in order to correct anti-aliasing behaviour (Quality Settings anti-aliasing).
    Some partial new features (hardly worth noting), due to the nature of this sudden requirement, joined this update.

@kenlem , @jellybit , @hopeful : please update Screenshot Creator.

Screenshot Creator v1.2.3
    • Added support for anti-aliasing as set within Quality Settings (only for Unity 4.2 or above)
    • Added the ability to load PlayerPrefs default screen resolutions into resolutions list
    • Added icon to Screenshot Creator window.

11. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@kenlem : You've had a really bad run here, and I miss-understood your anti-aliasing complaint completely. This is truly all on me and I cannot apologise enough! Please let me know if there's any new feature you'd like and I will escalate your request above the existing votes and incoming feature order on the development roadmap. I certainly believe I owe you in this regard so claim for yourself a "super vote" and your feature of choice will come next.

12. S4G4N

S4G4N

Man,

Awesome customer support here, like the one reviewer review description

" This guy loves his assets!! "

Nice to see the passion that the package is being treated with and the well deserved pride that the publisher take in getting his package top-notch and bursting with features.

Glad I bought it

Cheers
    Cobus

13. jellybit

jellybit

@DarkArts Studios Thank you so much for your quick response. I have some bad news however. After updating, the preview screenshot looks garbled as shown here. The actual screenshot taken is all black, as shown here. I'll pm you my gmail if you'd like for me to test fixes. In the meantime, I'll try wiping my installation and importing again.

EDIT:
    After deleting the folder, restarting Unity, and reimporting, it no longer shows a garbled preview, but shows just a black preview. The screenshot is again black. I'm using Unity 4.5.4f1. I can try to update to the super latest version of Unity that was recently released, but I have a feeling that won't do it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  14. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@jellybit argh, this is like a comedy of errors. In my haste to get a working anti-aliasing solution out to you guys I skimped on testing. Appears my "solution" works for unity 4.2 & unity 4.3 anything above that results in a black preview (and screenshots). This is really bad. I need to first, disable anti-aliasing for everyone (so it at least works) and then solve your issue correctly and test more thoroughly.

... expect updates in due course

15. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@jellybit and others. Regarding anti-aliasing: It seems my ability to reproduce the "black preview & screenshots" is intermittent. Restarting Unity seems to "solve" this when it occurs. It never happens on Unity < 4.5 and never seems to happen in any of the current betas (4.6 and 5.0). So, for the time being at least, until I'm able to understand why this seems to be happening (it really shouldn't) I've added a toggle to enable/disable anti-aliasing usage to the top-right of the preview window (which works very much in the same way as toggling scene lighting). At least in this case, if you're getting a black screen, you can toggle off anti-aliasing and take screenshots. This is not a final solution, but should at least be a work-around until I'm able to figure out what the exact cause of this is. Any more information in that regard greatly appreciated.

so, on that note: update Screenshot Creator and please let me know if you experience "black review / black screenshots" and your exact Unity version number and any other information you may have around this.

16. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Update: I've managed to successfully reproduce this in the Unity 5 beta and this has my full focus, getting "black screen syndrome" fixed. In the mean-time, if you're experiencing this, please switch anti-aliasing off on the preview window.

A work-around (non-ideal, but functional for now) to get decent screenshots if you're experiencing this is to toggle anti-aliasing off. Set scale mode to "4". Take your screenshots and then, in Photoshop or equivalent, resize the image down by 4 (25% of the output size). This will, in effect, fake the anti-aliasing process outside of Unity.

jellybit likes this.
  17. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@kenlem & @jellybit : Most of the anti-aliasing work has been rewritten from scratch to be more compatible across multiple versions of Unity. Please update and let me know if it's working for you now. - Thanks

Edit: This will of course still only work for Unity 4.2 or above

18. jellybit

jellybit

As far as I can tell, it works beautifully! Thank you so much for your focus on this issue.

19. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Great news :) I'm sorry it took so long to fix though, this issue was far from as trivial as I'd first suspected. Good to hear it's working now -- so I can move back on to the next feature release ;)

20. pierresusset

pierresusset

Hello,

Jsut bought your tool and try to use it with the runtime functionnality.
    All I got is a black picture.

Here is the way I try to use it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var texture = DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.ScreenshotUtility.RenderCamera(View3D.MainCamera.camera, null, 2048, 1024, 1, false, false);
    3.                 texture.Apply();
    4.                 request.Command.ScreenShot = texture.EncodeToPNG();
    Did i miss something?

21. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @elpierrot ,

Can you please give me information on what platform you built on? I will look into this immediately. There were problems with "black screen" / "black texture" however this should not be a problem anymore (as long as you have Unity Pro -- for _runtime_ screenshots | I have plans to make runtime screenshots available on Unity Free as well on the Development Plan, but currently this is Unity Pro only).

22. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@elpierrot : also, are you able to take screenshots fine within the editor (and in play mode) is this only from a target built executed at runtime?

Thanks

EDIT: I fixed the "black resulting texture" bug (anti-aliasing related) a day or two ago, not sure when exactly you bought Screenshot Creator - please just make sure you have the latest version. Though I doubt this is what you're experiencing since you're explicitly calling with anti-aliasing `false` in your code example.

23. pierresusset

pierresusset

hello,

Thanks for answer, I call it in a standalone build on windows.
    I found that the reason was because I use a OnRenderImage in one of my script.
    (it didn't work in the editor)

24. pierresusset

pierresusset

So I found that I need to make another Graphic.Blit to send back the render in the Dest Render Texture to make it work.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnRenderImage(RenderTexture src, RenderTexture dest)
    2.     {
    3.         if(NeedCopyFB && NeedTransition == false)
    4.         {
    5.             Graphics.Blit(src, rtSource);
    6.             Graphics.Blit(src, dest);
    7.         }

25. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Thank you for the detailed information @elpierrot I will look into this for you so that you don't need to jump through hoops to make it work. [ Bug Tracking ]

26. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

hmm, this looks like one of those quirks I might not be able to get around completely. In the short term however I'll be adding API access to at least not degrade performance for you @elpierrot .

I'm currently testing the following in my own code base having simulated a scenario near your own:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnRenderImage(RenderTexture src, RenderTexture dst)
    2.     {
    3.         if (DarkArtsStudios.ScreenshotCreator.ScreenshotUtility.busyTakingScreenshot)
    4.             Graphics.Blit( src, dst );
    5.     }
    At least with this you can keep your blits down unless required. I will continue into looking for a better solution though.

27. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Screenshot Creator v1.3 is now available

Changes:
    • Basic runtime screenshot manager (to be extended)
    • Simple example scene using screenshot manager and keypress screenshots
    • [BUG] Applied same fix for anti-aliasing for all screenshot types ( @elpierrot )
    • Added a bool to ScreenshotUtility indicating if screenshot is in progress ( @elpierrot )
    • Added optional GameObject container to Editor for objects only to be displayed in screenshots (eg text) (@S4G4N)

For those of you wondering how to overlay optional content (like text) only within screenshots, there's a step-by-step guide added to the Manual under the section "How do I ...".

28. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Looks great, just a quick question. Does it also render all cameras? ie: can I render screenshots with my UI (using NGUI) or are you restricted to one camera?

29. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

30. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Thanks! I've picked it up and the UI camera works. There is an issue with UI and aspect ratios though, if I set the editor game view to 16:9 and then take screenshots that are not that ratio (ie: 1024x768) the UI gets cut off. (I'm using NGUI). Is there anything that can be done about that so that you can take different size screenshots at once?

31. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@capitalJmedia : I'm sorry for the late response. I seem to have missed the notification of your post.

I've added a bug report for this ( https://trello.com/c/UwddegBd ) and will be looking into this for you. There's also an issue been reported with the new uGUI (unity 4.6 release candidate) so I'll be doing a full GUI compatibility overhaul for the next update.

32. kenlem

kenlem

Please tell me these is some way to turn off the pop up add that displays when your asset included in a project. I'm tired of looking at it every time I start Unity.

33. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @kenlem

This should only be displayed when you update to a new version of Screenshot Creator. Is it displaying for you every time you start unity?

34. kenlem

kenlem

I did see it when I updated but it does also show evertime I start Unity and load the project that it was imported to.

35. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

:( I'm SO sorry, I will remove that and you will have an update fix within 24 hours!

36. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

Greetings and congrats for this great Asset.

I want to buy , but i need to ask some questions first.

1) Can i take several frames one after the other , for example from frame 0 to frame 100.

If not , are you willing (if possible) to add this future?

2) Can it take screen shot with transparency?

Thats it

Looking forward for your answers.

Take care

Michael.

37. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

@kenlem :

I've removed the About window auto-display-on-upgrade completely and replaced with a simple log message indicating the upgrade from version and to version. If you keep seeing this log (when it's not an install or an upgrade) please let me know, as well as show me the log message since this will affect upgrade process once I add the ability to pre-create and store templates for each project. Much appreciated and sorry it took longer than I said to roll out a fix for this.

@Michaelbgdrs :

1) You can ( if you're willing to script it yourself, or if you press the screenshot take button yourself ) having this automated is on the roadmap here https://trello.com/c/E2UluyBy - consider adding a vote to accelerate it's development ;)

2) Absolutely yes you can, there's an "alpha" toggle checkbox which allows this. There have been reports of transparency issues, but only with terrains and I'm working on finding a solution.

38. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

@DarkArts Studios

Much appreciated for the respond.

I will buy immediately once my first request is in the asset.

I have already recommended the asset to several of my clients that i know they really need it.

Again thank you very much.

39. pojoih

pojoih

Any chance getting the full color resolution from HDR enabled cameras with this screenshot tool?
    I've searched for a way to save 16/32 Bit images to edit them further in Photoshop or Lightroom, Application.CaptureScreenshot is restricted to 8bit png only.

40. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @pojoih

That is definitely on the road map. In fact I've already done some of the base work around this feature. You can follow it's progress here on the public development roadmap (and vote for other features you'd like to see too):

https://trello.com/c/nPQzV1zz

41. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Purchased this on sale today. Such a lot of features for such a low price.

42. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Glad you like it @SuperNewbee :)

There's a LOT more coming too (features) so check out the development roadmap and vote for your favourites, this is how I select what gets worked on next, by vote count from those who own the product. [ https://trello.com/b/yaPXxiob ]

... and don't forget to rate & review ;)

43. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

I am greedily saving my vote :).

Left feedback. Hopefully you do good with the sale today.

44. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hahah, you can have as many votes as you like :)

... thank you

45. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

Just bought it so i can early support.

Looking forward for the frames capture ;)

46. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

I normally try give a little lead time for when my products go on sale, because nobody wants to be the guy that bought it 5 minutes before the price drops. This one took me by surprise though too. I think the Asset Store just decided to do a Cyber Monday and chose several newish Assets that have never been on sale before. So I only found out when I happened to open the Asset Store and see Screenshot Creator on sale :)

Was a rather pleasant surprise! Glad you got to take advantage of it @Michaelbgdrs :)

47. pojoih

pojoih

Nice, thanks for the feedback.

48. mdrotar

mdrotar

Some UI frameworks (NGUI in my case) need Update and LateUpdate to run so that it can update the anchors and locations of the UI elements after the screen resolution has changed.

Could an option be added to advance the frame between screen resolution changes to work around this? So it would be something like: set resolution 1, wait for next frame, capture screenshot, set resolution 2, wait for next frame, capture screenshot, etc. Or maybe there is a better way?

49. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Hi @mdrotar

Thank you for reporting this!

I have logged your message in the development roadmap as a bug ( https://trello.com/c/iZxYcCiR )
    I will ensure a fix for this is in the next update

50. mdrotar

mdrotar

Thanks!