ScreenPointToRay with Event.mousePosition?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SneakySoft, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SneakySoft

SneakySoft

Hi all,

I want the world mouse position in my editor window.
    Since I can't use Input in the editorwindow class I use
    the Event.mousePosition in OnGUI.
    Code (csharp):
    2. void OnGUI()
    3. {
    4. Event e = Event.current;
    5. ray = cam.camera.ScreenPointToRay(e.mousePosition);
    6. }
    Strangest thing, the object I want to move with my mouse position is moving correct
    in the X axis, but is inverted on the Y axis.
    So I inverted the e.mouse position.y like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. ray = cam.camera.ScreenPointToRay(new Vector 3(e.mousePosition.x,-e.mousePosition.y,0));
    Now the object is moving in the right direction, but the position is totally off...

How do I solve this issue?
  2. SneakySoft

SneakySoft

if I do
    Code (csharp):
    1. -e.mousePosition.y + Screen.height
    It comes close but it's still of by about 16 pixels. because if I do:

Code (csharp):
    1. -e.mousePosition.y + Screen.height - 16
    It looks like it's right on spot, but I would have no idea why I would have to do it like this, it sounds a bit strange to me....

Anyone who know's what is going on here?
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not strange; ScreenPoint is from bottom-up, like Input.mousePosition, whereas GUI space is top-down. You can just do mousePosition.y = Screen.height - mousePosition.y;.

--Eric
  4. SneakySoft

SneakySoft

Thanks for responding Eric5h5. Now I understand it :). The only problem remaining is the small around 16 pixels offset. This is only in the y direction.

Just for testing purposes I have an object that is at the world mouse position.

Code (csharp):
    1. ray = cam.camera.ScreenPointToRay(new Vector3(e.mousePosition.x, Screen.height - e.mousePosition.y, 0))
    2. mouseWorldPos.transform.position = hit.point;
    What could cause this reaction?
  5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't any offset in the code, so I would assume it's the pivot point of your object.

--Eric
  6. SneakySoft

SneakySoft

It's not the pivot in this case. I just add a primitive.sphere gameobject at that position, the pivot looks correct, because it's in the center of the gameobject.

I also know it has to do with the pixels because sometimes the world distance between my mouse and the mouse position object I created is bigger when the camera angle changes. However, the pixel distance stays the same.

I converted the point from world space back to screen space and I now draw a GUI.Box there. It's pixel perfect with my actual mouse position, while mouse world position is still off in the y axis.....

I don't feel confident with hard coding -16 pixels. Because then in might be wrong on different pc's. Does anyone know what's going on here?
  7. Jumplegreen

Jumplegreen

I am not sure of the exact reason why but I found this code which solves the problem

Camera ccam = Camera.current; Ray r = ccam.ScreenPointToRay ( new Vector3(Event.current.mousePosition.x, ccam.pixelHeight - Event.current.mousePosition.y, 0.0f));

I guess the screen height is not the same as the camera portal height for some some reason.

This has been working fine for me.
  8. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Yep, never use Screen.height - it's definitely wrong (make yourself a trivial project and you can see this for yourself).

Screen.height is used in most / all of the source-code examples I could find for Unity, and explains why a lot of plugins have strange positioning bugs every now and then, but when I substituted in Camera.pixelHeight in each case, turned out to be always correct (tried on multiple projects + multiple source examples).

Thanks, Jumplegreen!
  9. yoyo

yoyo

In the OnGUI method of an EditorWindow, Screen.height includes the space for the title tab -- I guess this must be 16 pixels -- even though (0,0) is below the title tab. Instead of Screen.height, use position.height (EditorWindow.position is a rectangle representing the active area of the window.)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013