Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Screen Space Reflections?

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by makeshiftwings, Sep 29, 2015.

1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Screen Space Reflections were supposed to be in 5.2 but they got pushed to 5.3. But now they don't seem to be in the list of 5.3 features either. Are we getting Screen Space Reflections in 5.3 or did it get pushed back again?

2. Ferazel

Ferazel

I think they're planning on publishing it as a free asset store asset, but beyond that I don't think we've heard much officially about the feature.

3. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

My fault, missed it off the list.
    Doc now added back in to the list.

minhdaubu2, SAOTA and makeshiftwings like this.
  4. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Awesome! Glad it will be making it in.

5. scheichs

scheichs

I played around with it a bit and didn't notice major issues. Was easy to use and integrates really well with standard shader. It's a big step forward regarding visuals. Congrats!

6. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Speaking of which, is that post effect reliant on any rendering features of Unity 5.3? Or were all prerequisites like per-pixel reflections added in 5.2, making it possible to use the same code on 5.2?

7. scheichs

scheichs

I just copied Effects folder to a 5.2.1f1 test project and seems to work

minhdaubu2 likes this.
  8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

For those that wanted to see how it looks like and don't have access to the beta:

SSR ON :D
    SSRON.jpg

SSR OFF :'( SSROFF.jpg

In general, it works pretty well. There are some bugs (or I don't know understand what some parameters do, or both). I'm fairly confident it will be solid when 5.3 releases.

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ooh i like to see screenshot of your settings, any idea how to reduce the flickering(might be my settings tho)?

10. morgan3d

morgan3d

I'm one of the developers working on this feature. Can you show some examples of the bugs or tell me more about the parameters that confused you? That will help us make it perfect for everyone's needs.

ImpossibleRobert and mdrotar like this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

@morgan3d

I don't quite understand what most of the bools do.

-Improve corners (I mean, yeah, improve the corners, duh, but how? also depending on the scene I get very varying results and bugs (I see you already saw that other thread))
    -Bilateral Upsample (no clue what it's supposed to be doing, it seems to introduce artifacts (see the square looking artifacts near that left edge on the top image)
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 20.56.02.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 20.55.57.png
    -Full Res Resolve (I'm not seeing it doing anything, I don't know what it does)
    -Trace Everywhere (same)

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I submitted a bug and testcase for the bilateral upsample issue, it's Case 733959

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Here are my settings. I don't really know what I'm doing though so... :p
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 23.10.08.png

14. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

AcidArrow and shkar-noori like this.
  15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

16. morgan3d

morgan3d

Ok, let me know if you have more questions I can answer after reading that!

17. TwiiK

TwiiK

@AcidArrow What kind of performance impact do you get with those settings?

I decided to test out the beta yesterday to try SSR. For the scene I was testing in the framerate went from 60fps to 30fps with SSR on with what I felt were satisfactory settings.

I looked through the Google Doc and tried the performance settings and then the performance impact wasn't that big, but it looked like ass so it wasn't something I would ever use in that state. :p

The biggest performance impact seems to come from the "Half resolution" setting, but I can't imagine using SSR with that on.

That may just be how expensive "good looking" SSR is, but it made it unusable for me. I haven't really tested it before. I tried Kode80's open source asset as a comparison, but it was completely broken for me.

Another setting I really had a problem with was "Expected wall thickness meters". The scene I was testing with was an arch viz scene and to get things like door handles and the stove top to reflect properly I had to set this setting to 0.01, but then everything else in the scene - the floor, the walls looked wrong. They looked best with the default 0.5, but setting it to that made thin details like door handles and the stove top reflect 2-3-4 times.

I was just quickly testing in a poorly made, WIP scene in 2560x1600 resolution so it may not have been optimal test conditions, but these were my initial impressions at least. I may test it again in a more fitting scene closer to release. I don't really have that much time for Unity these days.

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

@TwiiK I don't recall actually. I was on a 2012 Mac Mini so I wasn't expecting great performance. But I believe it added something like 3ms (but on a non maximised editor window, and I'm guessing performance worsens a lot with more pixels).

I'll assess performance more seriously and on a more decent machine on a later date, when a few of the bugs are fixed as well. I mean, half resolution looked pretty bad, but bilateral upsample is supposed to mitigate that, but bilateral upsample was buggy for me, so finding a good quality/performance ratio is kind of impossible right now.

19. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Will this SSR in unity work on mobil too?

20. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Deleted User likes this.
  21. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

If you don´t haver a better answer then that, go and fish with your mother!
    I m thinking that the new Ipad and Tablets will have the power for run SSR!

22. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

No they do not. SSR is a very demanding effect even when toned down, and it is not fit for use on absolute majority of smartphones and tablets.

23. scheichs

scheichs

E.g. the new NVidia shield console has the power, so it would make sense to have a mobile version too.

24. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

No, it's still an underpowered piece of hardware not fit for effects like those. Don't take my word for it - there is nothing warranting a "mobile version", it works as is. Just make a build with SSR and profile it on any mobile devices you want yourself.

25. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Not to mention that with the resolution the new ipads will have, it'll be harder for stuff relying on pixel pushing rather than polygon pushing. (At least that's what i understand).

26. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So... Uhm... I see SSR is delayed again. It's fine, if it's not ready, it's not ready.

But if you plan on putting it on the asset store eventually (as the roadmap says), do you mind putting it on the asset store now? Add "EXPERIMENTAL BETA" with the biggest font you can and just put it on the Asset Store.

It would be useful for games that are in early/mid development and are kinda still evolving their art style. Even if it doesn't look as good/doesn't perform as good/is a buggy mess.

27. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

It's in the Standard Assets - so it's there for the current builds (and still the first of RC builds, 5.3.0f1). It'll be pulled out for f2. So, you can always still download the f1 standard assets. We're working on packaging it up for the asset store in a manner similar to what you're describing.

bac9-flcl and AcidArrow like this.
  28. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Blahhhh... I'm annoyed that this is being pulled so late in the beta. Seriously, you decided it's broken at Release Candidate 2 and not in any of the previous 7 beta releases? SSRR was one of the main things I was planning on using in 5.3 because so much of my environment is non-static.

29. scheichs

scheichs

To me it totally makes sense not to release a broken feature officially, especially since it's still easily accessible

30. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Believe me, this is a very good thing to do.

31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

By the sound of it, it will be put on the asset store as a work in progress, which I believe is the best way to go about it. So those that still want to use it, they can. Plus, being on the asset store, it detaches itself from having to update with Unity releases and they can update it whenever they want.

32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well i just hoping that it will continue being developed.
    Don't get me wrong UnityTech in fact i understand that all of your hands are full with Unity improvement and bugfix, i'm just worried that SSR get left out in development

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's always asset store or kode80 as a free solution on a temporary basis. It's unlikely your game is suddenly ready before Unity finishes their solution, which you might not even be happy with ;)

I've learned from experience: Don't wait for Unity. This isn't a criticism, just being practical.

34. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

So many times it was told: do not use not-ready solutions for a production-targeting games. The best idea is to grab stable version of Unity and create game all around it has to offer. I have lost countless hours and effort, before I started obeing this rule. And it totally makes sense.

overthere, Jonny-Roy and hippocoder like this.
  35. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well tru dat. . .

36. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

kode80's version is incorrect; it doesn't take specularity and roughness into account. So if you turn it on, your rough surfaces will have glaring 100% clear reflections on them. Unity's version looked much more correct and matched up with how static reflections look.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cool, yeah. It won't make SSRR arrive any quicker, so if you want free, you get that, or wait :)

38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Kode's version does takes smoothness into account actually.

39. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Downloaded the unity beta standard assets but the ssr doesn't work :( using 5.2. When I add the effect nothing changes, is there another script I need to apply?

40. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Does this mean it's not likely to run in the WebPlayer and WebGL?