Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Fluids Shaders [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by korzen303, Jun 18, 2016.

1. korzen303

korzen303

Screen Space Fluids (SSF) is a set of high-quality shaders for rendering the surface of particle-based fluids with real-time performance and configurable speed/quality.

SSF Pro provides higher quality and more features (fluid translucency, refractions) than the free version of SSF. See screenshots for comparison.

The SSF method is not based on polygonization and as such circumvents the usual grid artifacts of marching cubes. The shaders smooths the surface to prevent the fluid from looking "blobby" or jelly-like. It only renders the surface where it is visible, and has inherent view-dependent level-of-detail. All the processing, rendering and shading steps are directly implemented on graphics hardware.

SSF Pro

SSF

QuickStart video:

SSF provides only fluid visualization that can be used, for example, with Unity's Particle System. However, SSF works best with third-party fluid simulation library such as uFlex.

SSF requires GPU with ComputeShaders support (e.g. DX11).

SSF is under development. Any bug reports and feature requests are more than welcome.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    jugadorgl4 and nxrighthere like this.
  2. p6r

p6r

Very very nice ! I like it.
    6R

3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i use this in some way to render imported particle animations from other 3D software in mdd, pc2 or another format?
    I think i read some time ago that there are point cloud import formats for unity in the asset store.
    Maybe i have to read more about what a particle is in unity.

Edit:
    Would love to use it with this asset and animated objects/particles from my animation programms from where i can export pc/pc2 files.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21869

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a refraction/transparent version?

5. korzen303

korzen303

Of course, you just need to slightly modify the fluid renderer script to read the particles positions from the particle cloud rather than Unity's particle system. Half a minute job.

Yes, however it will be part of SSF Pro (i.e paid version), which will be coming to the asset store this month.

6. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

Very cool plugin.
    I got a small bug. Incorrect intersects a very large particle with objects in scene.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. korzen303

korzen303

Thanks for reporting this, will have a look into this.

8. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

Question. Is it possible to do so, to draw particles in different colors separate?
    In SSF_FluidRenderer colors are sent through the m_colors array, but in the end all particles are colored in the color specified in SSF_ComposeFluid.
    Question2. Perfomance Pro version than free: better, lesser, equal?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    yty likes this.
  9. korzen303

korzen303

SSF Pro v0.1 is now live on the AssetStore! v0.2 supporting fluid transparency with refractions coming very soon.

sjm-tech likes this.
  10. korzen303

korzen303

Yes, I will have a look to add colouring per particle in the v0.3 release

It will get faster, I will focus on shader optimizations in the next releases

11. kosowski

kosowski

Hi, do you have any approximate schedule for the refractions?

12. korzen303

korzen303

I've submitted v0.2 to the AssetStore an hour ago. Hopefully, should be live this week.

13. kosowski

kosowski

Great, just bought both SSF and uFlex.

korzen303 likes this.
  14. korzen303

korzen303

Awesome, have fun!

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

You need a orc bathing in mud and drinking beer demo scene ...

I mean it's the same quality anyway!

16. korzen303

korzen303

Thanks Neoshaman!
    Will think about it

17. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

18. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

korzen303,
    can i get the latest Pro version if i already bought it? assetstore updated too long ( i downloaded 0.1v)

19. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

This looks great! :) For optimal usage what does one need?

Uflex + SSF Pro?

20. korzen303

korzen303

Sure, just please drop me your email (preferably gmail) address.

First, try out uFlex as it comes with HQ shaders from SSF Pro included for free. Getting full version of SSF Pro will give you, at the moment, fluid translucency and rafractions.

21. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

korzen303,
    i sent.

22. korzen303

korzen303

SSF Pro v0.2 with fluid transparency and refractions is live on the AssetStore now

23. neoshaman

neoshaman

OMG you will blow people mind if you have a throw back to a known CG movie lol

Currently can't buy it, I need to see my banks :mad: you should have my money, I'll make sure you'll get it :cool:

24. korzen303

korzen303

The mud simulation shouldn't be a problem but I would need a similar scene and rigged Shrek model

25. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'll see if I can do or find something, I can't promise anything.

26. DaOndare

DaOndare

Hi, first off I am really happy with my purchase of SSF Pro. - Works like a charm. There is only one thing i am missing featurewise. Is it possible to get it working with sub emitters correctly?
    cheers

27. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

I hope the development of the plugin continues?

28. korzen303

korzen303

Yes, it continues. I am on holidays at the moment and will release the SSF Pro v0.3 just after I come back

29. macdude2

macdude2

@korzen303 – Any chance this plugin supports VR? Also, do you happen to know if SSF would work with Fluvio – you said it supports unity particles which Fluvio I think is based off of?

30. korzen303

korzen303

@macdude2 - I don't have a HMD to test it with VR. NVidia has recently released the Funhouse VR demo which is using SSF in VR so certainly it is possible. It may require some tweaking though for stereoscopy as SSF works obviously in screen-space and is applied as a post-processing effect.

31. macdude2

macdude2

I decided to test it out – at the moment your effect does not seem to work for VR. It was unfortunately not only extremely slow, but it also seemed to not even render correctly (however, this may have been due to the refresh rate). The particle balls, however, did work pretty well. They definitely look better than standard unity particles and I believe would look OK in a more cartoony game.

32. korzen303

korzen303

First, I want to polish the SSF for non-VR applications. Maybe, meanwhile NVidia will update flex shaders for VR use, which will ease things out for me.

The fastest way to speed up SSF is to lower the resolution of the target render textures (from 2k to 1k or even 512x512)

33. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

So, when will we see 0.3? ;)

34. sebastien-barry

sebastien-barry

Hi,
    I'm a Uflex and a SSFPro user, I'd like to know where can I get the SSFProFlexFuildRenderer class ?

35. korzen303

korzen303

Hi, please drop me your email. I will send you the integration package. Sorry about this

36. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

a few questions:
    1. How to use m_colorBuffer in FluidRender( Pro and nonPro )? I set a different color for each particle in fluid_render script, but they are still displayed with the color specified in the FluidComposer.
    2.What meen the setting MinDepth in FluidRender? Change it, but do not see changes in the image.

ps: version 0.3

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  37. korzen303

korzen303

Hi SG,

I am afraid that this is not supported at the moment but I will look at this for the next release.

Regards

38. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

korzen303,
    how about my questions? a few the post above

39. korzen303

korzen303

Hi,

sorry, missed that.

1. ColorBuffer is currently not in use. I will look how to add fluid colouring in the future release.
    2. I am not 100% sure if it is currently in use (maybe depends on the shader type). Basically, it only affects things when you are very, very close to the fluid surface. Nothing really important though...

40. jugadorgl4

jugadorgl4

41. korzen303

korzen303

Hi,

just to confirm that both SSF and SSF Pro work fine with VR except when using Single Pass Stereo Mode. This includes point sprites as well as fluid rendering.

42. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Hi... I noticed that SSF isn't working properly in the 5.5 beta. I wonder if you can spot what the problem is and if there might be an easy fix? I've attached screens of SSF_GreenGoo in 5.4 vs 5.5:
    SSF_5.4.PNG SSF_5.5.PNG

43. korzen303

korzen303

Hi, thanks for reporting this will check thisas soon as possible.

44. Fonefen

Fonefen

Hi, I bought SSF and Uflex, I'm doing a project with Oculus Rift and I have disabled the option single pass stereo rendering in player setting, it does not work, the fluid appears frozen. Please help

45. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Can I use this with fluid based cloth? Jim mentioned testing your code here with his cloth testing.

46. korzen303

korzen303

The SSF Pro versions improves the fluid rendering quality and works great with uFlex, if that what is you are asking about.

47. supneo

supneo

Hello @korzen303 , any way that FlexColliders only takes a specific mesh and not all those that are in the scena automatically? , I put the mesh that interests me but the script automatically puts all of the scene

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  48. patchworkx

patchworkx

HYE ::-- IS THERE ANYWHERE AN TUTORIAL ABOUT THE TRANSPARENT - REFRACTIVE SHADING::-- IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THE " SSF" IN ANY SCHADEREDITOR -(SHADERFORGE;AMPLYFIED SHADEREDITOR)

49. Martian-Games

Martian-Games

FYI - in Unity 5.6:
    Shader error in 'ScreenSpaceFluids/SSFPro_ThicknessShaderHQ2': 'UnityObjectToClipPos': cannot implicitly convert from 'float4x4' to 'float4' at line 125 (on d3d11)

50. MatrixNAN

MatrixNAN

Hi Korzen,

I just bought uFlex and SSF Pro. I plan on using it for simulating white water rapids in a river. I was wondering what the progress was on the features below?

-Translucency with volumetric absorption (Beer's Law)
    -Improved lighting support
    -Shadows
    -Surface noise
    -Caustics