Screen Shake Effect

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by liquidgraph, May 12, 2009.

1. liquidgraph

liquidgraph

Has anyone out there made a screen shake effect for the camera and know the best way to implement it? I want this effect for something like an earthquake, a large explosion, or a heavy impact. Ideas?
  2. Jacob Williams

Jacob Williams

I accomplished this in a very easy way. If you have access to a 3D Animation app, just animated an object (a simple cube, for instance) shaking and moving a bit randomly. In unity, make the camera a child of the object you animated and turn off the renderer. Whenever you want a camera shake, just play the animation.

-cD
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

This project has a camera shake routine in it. Using code instead of an animation means you can dynamically change the intensity and so on.

--Eric
  4. liquidgraph

liquidgraph

Thanks guys, two unique solutions! I would prefer code if it produced an effect to my liking. I'll have to test this out.
  5. Martin Schultz

Martin Schultz

I'm using a quite simple approach. I linked the main camera to an empty game object and if wanted to shake the camera, I set in each update a random local position of the attached camera within a unit sphere:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Random-insideUnitSphere.html

So it could look like this (semi pseudo code):

Code (csharp):
    1. var camera : Camera; // set this via inspector
    2. var shake : float = 0;
    3. var shakeAmount : float = 0.7;
    4. var decreaseFactor : float = 1.0;
    6. function Update() {
    7.   if (shake > 0) {
    8.     Camera.transform.localPosition = Random.insideUnitSphere * shakeAmount;
    9.     shake -= Time.deltaTime * decreaseFactor;
    11.   } else {
    12.     shake = 0.0;
    13.   }
    14. }
    (all off head, have the complete function at home if you want it)

That function then shakes the camera locally around in each frame and decreases over time. So if you want to shake it, simply set "shake" to 1.0 or 2.0 or something like that and it starts to shake. I use the effect in my new "Decane intro" for all my games when the car crashes into my Decane logo. See the intro here:

http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=28

- Martin
  6. Srbhunter

Srbhunter

Thanks Martin, very simple solution and it's working great!
  7. theLucre

theLucre

Awesome solution, Martin. Thank you!
  8. cmcpasserby

cmcpasserby

also a other good option is doing something similar to what martin did, but using source that provides a smooth random like a perlin to get your random values, which i find looks a little less glitch and more like a shaky came in real-life than using truly random values.